PDA

View Full Version : A year ago......

doghawg
10-17-2009, 03:27 PM
I decided to try casting and it's been fascinating and sometimes very humbling. My latest attempt is the Lee 300 gr. RF GC from a two holer. They were cast from WW's plus some 40/60 from a radiator shop and drop at a nice and round .455". I only loaded up a handfull of these and used Hornady gc's, handlubed with BAC and sized to .452" with a Lee push through. They were loaded over 21 gr. of 2400 in Hornady 454 brass and sparked by Rem 7 1/2 BR primers. I didn't clock these but from some similar loads out of this gun would guess between 1150 to 1200 fps. I sat on a low turkey hunting stool with my back to a tree (forearms between the knees) and shot at 37 yards because that was where a convenient stump to staple the target to was.

I intended to leave this gun iron sighted but couldn't do it justice with my 62 year old vision so put the Ultradot on a Weigand base with Warne rings. I'm guessing this gun and load would do 1" at 50 yards from a bench. A couple of sight adj. and I'm ready to go deer hunting.

This is my 5th Lee mold....4 are two holers and 1 is a six. I also have 4 RCBS and 1 Lyman. Maybe I've been lucky but all of these molds have worked quite well once I began to learn how they want to be run.

All in all this is a fascinating hobby and one I wish I'd have started years ago. Many thanks to those of you on this forum for the knowledge I've been able to pick up here.

stubshaft
10-17-2009, 04:45 PM
good shooting.

Shiloh
10-17-2009, 05:25 PM
Pics are always appreciated!!

SHiloh

Calamity Jake
10-17-2009, 05:41 PM
That gun ain't no good!!!!!! The holes ain't in the center of the plate!!!!

You better send it to me, I'll fix it!!!:kidding:

Nise shooten by the way!!!!