PDA

View Full Version : Two 44s. .003 difference in bores. Do I need two sizers?

Bigoledude
10-17-2009, 02:54 AM
I have not yet cast any bullets. My goal was to buy a mold for one bullet and shoot the same bullet out of both my .44mags. I'm gonna cast for a Marlin 1894 and a Ruger RedHawk 5 1/2 inch. Something in the 240gr. to 255gr. range.

My Marlin 1894 appears to need a bullet .003 larger than my RedHawk. Is it OK to take that much off of the original bullet without making the lube-grooves too shallow?

I cannot afford a lube-sizer. Sizing will be done with a sizer-die in my Rockchucker? Would it be better to run all of the bullets through a sizer-die to make sure the size is perfect? Is a sizer-die adjustable or, will I need two different sizer dies?

I've read here where y'all say to size the bullets a little larger than the slug measured . How much larger for a .44?

randyrat
10-17-2009, 03:28 AM
Yes, Shoot as cast out of your 1894 (if you can chamber them) and size for your revolver down to .430 or .429 I size a couple boolits down .003....... Did you measure your throats in your Revolver.

44man
10-17-2009, 08:35 AM
It is going to depend on the size the boolit drops from the mold.
I would prefer .432" from the revolver if they fit the throats but it would be better to go .433" for the Marlin.
It is not going to be easy to find a good mold since RD does not sell them anymore.
I would go to Babore's site and see what he has.
Slug both guns to see what is really needed.

Bret4207
10-17-2009, 08:54 AM
You have to see what size your boolits are before you start sizing. What sizes do you think you need? IOW- what measurements did you get?

O.S.O.K.
10-17-2009, 01:34 PM
From experience, you will want your boolits to be .001-.002" over bore (groove) diameter for your Marlin (this is microgroove right?). Even the ballard rifling will do best with .001" over bore... So, you will probably be using as-cast for the Marlin and yes, size down to .430-.431" for the Blackhawk - or to correct size for it.

You can size the bollits for the Marlin and use in the blackhawk too - just watch your maximum loads. Especially if the alloy is wheel weights or softer...

If you are planning on the loads being medium loads, then by all means load for the Marlin and test the same loads in the BH before creating two bullet sizes/loads.

IMHO

243winxb
10-17-2009, 02:49 PM
Sizing will be done with a sizer-die in my Rockchucker? I dont know that rcbs makes one for a Rockchucker?
Would it be better to run all of the bullets through a sizer-die to make sure the size is perfect? Yes, .430" , one size fits all IMO.
Is a sizer-die adjustable or, will I need two different sizer dies? Not adjustable, you will need 2. The Marlin 1894 with microgroove will not shot a cast bullet IMO, unless it has a gas check base. How large you size your bullet will depend on the diameter bullets drop from your mould. Plus the alloy also has an effect on diameter.

O.S.O.K.
10-17-2009, 02:57 PM
I recommend Lee's sizer kits - they are excellent and yes, you simply screw the die into your rockchucker and place the piston in the case holder slot on the ram.

IMHO, the Lee sizers do the best job of providing uniform boolits as they are a bottom-push and not reliant on the lubersizer being in alignment and the top punch being perfect.

Take my word for it - again, speaking from personal exprience with the Marlin 94, 44 Mag (microgroove), you will need to size your boolets .001-.002" over bore. One size will not work in this sitution unless you go with the larger size.

Take note, you will need to lapp your sizer die to open it up a bit unless you order a custom sized die from Lee. But this is a very simple matter - you chuck a 44 cal bronze brush in a drill, wrap a patch around it and apply first a little gun oil and then some lapping compound (600-800 grit is fine) - then just run this through the die and check diameter until you get to where you want to be.

Again, I did this and it works great.

If you are looking for an economical but accuracte boolit that will work in both your Marlin and BH, you might consider the 6 cavity Lee 240 gr SWC gas check mold. It casts a good boolit that will cycle in your Marlin - at least it cycles smoothly in mine. Most swc designs won't cycle that well in the carbines... here's a pic of some loaded in 44 Special cases with LLA lube:

http://www.gunsnet.net/album/data//500/HPIM1025.JPG

You can wipe the lube off of the noses if it bothers you - I just didn't bother with this batch as I was loading a couple hundered.

EDK
10-17-2009, 10:09 PM
NIGHT OWL ENTERPRISES has group buys going on their version of the RANCH DOG 265 and 300 grain boolit moulds. The RD designs were made specifically for MARLINS...and the 265 grainer shoots well in my assorted 44 revolvers. The LEE tumble lube designs are also a good option...check them with a micrometer and you might not need to size them.

Buckshot will make you a custom push through die...and get it to you a lot quicker than LEE will.

Conventional wisdom on MARLINS is hard alloy, gas check and sized large for caliber.

Go to lasc.us and read Glenn Fryxell's excellent articles, especially the one on 1894 MARLINS. You'll save yourself a lot of time doing so.

:Fire::cbpour::redneck:

44man
10-17-2009, 11:10 PM
NIGHT OWL ENTERPRISES has group buys going on their version of the RANCH DOG 265 and 300 grain boolit moulds. The RD designs were made specifically for MARLINS...and the 265 grainer shoots well in my assorted 44 revolvers. The LEE tumble lube designs are also a good option...check them with a micrometer and you might not need to size them.

Buckshot will make you a custom push through die...and get it to you a lot quicker than LEE will.

Conventional wisdom on MARLINS is hard alloy, gas check and sized large for caliber.

Go to lasc.us and read Glenn Fryxell's excellent articles, especially the one on 1894 MARLINS. You'll save yourself a lot of time doing so.

:Fire::cbpour::redneck:
Good to know. The RD 265 is fantastic from my SBH.