PDA

View Full Version : Enablers and the .32 Special

BruceB
10-17-2009, 12:59 AM
Went to Reno today with TWO valid reasons for the trip. One was medical, and I was presented with a couple of cortisone shots in my hand...NOT fun!

The second reason was to be on-site for required inspections of the house we may be buying for daughter Kim while she attends UNR, and possibly longer. Inspections showed no major faults at all.

I foolishly arranged to meet NVCurmudgeon at Sheels' megastore after my medical appointment. Arriving early I (naturally) gravitated to the used-gun racks, where I found a very nice Winchester M64 in .32 Special, 1952 production. The M64 is a variant of the M94, with pistol grip, 24" barrel and 1/2 magazine. M94 carbines do nothing for me, but I've wanted a 64 ever since about the 1960s. The price was uppish, so I left it and went to meet NVC.

A bit later, we were looking at the rifle again, and along comes cobbmtnmac. He's a considerable student of used-gun values, and said that the price looked reasonable to him. After failing to get the price lowered a bit, I solicited opinions from "the committee" (enablers) and by popular demand I met their price.

While we were waiting a half-hour or so for the "instant" check, I was talking about mounting a receiver sight on this old piece. Mac pipes up, "I have a suitable Redfield receiver sight OUT IN THE CAR". Yes he did, and I bought that, too. This all came to pass not long after I foolishly told my wife that I wouldn't be "needing" any more rifles.

Thanks, guys. (It is a prime rifle, though...really nice.)

Bigjohn
10-17-2009, 01:10 AM
Bruce, isn't it nice to have a couple of Enablers as friends. Always there to look after your health and to ensure you have no spare room in the gun safe. :bigsmyl2:

Well, I hope you get the last laugh on them with a real corker of a shootin' rifle.

Oh, BTW, don't forget the pic's and shootin' results.
Regards from possibly one of the biggest enablers,

oneokie
10-17-2009, 01:15 AM
I wouldn't be "needing" any more rifles.

You are still breathing and ambulating on your own power aren't you?

After you have passed to the great range in the sky, you won't be needing any more guns.

Buckshot
10-17-2009, 01:19 AM
This all came to pass not long after I foolishly told my wife that I wouldn't be "needing" any more rifles.

.............I do believe I've said that once or thrice :-) Nice buy. Not very common rifle and ditto the cartridge, so an uncommon combination:-)?

.........Buckshot

Crash_Corrigan
10-17-2009, 03:43 AM
I had my grubby paws on a nice '52 Win 94 in 32 WS for about a year. I never could get it to group worth a darn with any rounds. Cast or J words. I could barley hit a 8 1/2 " by 11" piece of paper at 50 yds and at 25 I could get only spraying all over the target.

Somebody had bubbicized the installation of a scope onto it and it had holes drilled all over the place.

I let it go for a fair price and I have not looked back.

However I do have a '29 Model 94 in thirty thirty that I will not part with. This thing is about 85% good on the bluing and has excellent wood.

It apparently was used well but not abused and will throw a cast boolit into a two inch circle at 75 yds all day long and is a pleasure to shoot. Really nice trigger and open sights.

I fell into this deal and picked up this Winchester and a Baker 12 Gauge side by side for the grand sum of $100 two years ago from an elderly gent who had these weapons since the 30's.

onceabull
10-17-2009, 12:57 PM
BruceB:Those two "enablers" likely had some awareness of the $ it would take to buy mine..The price of those mdl 64 Winnies is the primary reason I have as many Marlin 336-A's as I do...still looking for 25-35 & 219 Z. examples,but the only decent ones found lately have been pressing the $2000 key so likely will go ever the divide still wanting...Congrats on the buy and hope the hand thing is fixed up,too... Onceabull

cobbmtmac
10-17-2009, 07:59 PM
BruceB.

So glad to be of some help! ENJOY.........:Fire:

BruceB
10-17-2009, 09:39 PM
I appreciate the condolences and "humor"!

It really is a nice piece, and I cleaned and de-coppered the bore today to find a mirror-bright and apparently very little-fired tube. Almost no copper fouling showed on the patches.

The Redfield sight that Mac had ever-so-conveniently close by is now mounted on the rifle. Looks right at home, too.

Looking for some RCBS 32-170 bullets proved fruitless, so I cast maybe 500, which should last at least a short while. Out of that batch, during lube-sizing and inspection I rejected THREE bullets in total...I musta told you folks how much I like RCBS moulds?

Sixty rounds are now loaded with 5744 and 2400 for the morrow. I mostly want to see how the rifle works, and get that receiver sight set up so I can at least hit paper from 50-100 yards.

The Model 64 has a "feel" all its own, after playing with it for a few hours. That long barrel and half-magazine change the handling radically from the 20" carbine design. I went a lot of years without owning one, and I really regret that fact at this late date.

StarMetal
10-17-2009, 10:23 PM
Bruce,

Congraduations on your new rifle. Those 64's are hard to come by.

Below is a picture of my vintage 1947 Model 94 in 32 Special with an equally vintage Paul Jaeger quick release scope mount.

Joe

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg51/starmetal47/pix772958703.jpg