PDA

View Full Version : Filler for Non Magnum Loads in Magnum Cases

lefty_red
04-26-2006, 02:26 PM
OK, I was going to cut some 41 mag cases down to "41 Special" length for some ligher plinking/groundhog rounds. I noticed some powder not getting burnt and fps lost and flux in the loads in the magnum length cases. Well, Its pretty damn expensive to get this little idea going, and I still haven't found my cell phone Young Prince flushed down the toilet. So I was looking at frugal options. And I remembered about the Cream Of Wheat (COW) I used for my BP loads in my '51 Navy and '61 Pocket Police. So, it there anything wrong with "filling" up the rest of the case space with COW? I would think not, but was wondering.

Jerry

Bucks Owin
04-26-2006, 04:03 PM
I like homemade cork wads personally. Tool chest cork drawer liner material and a sharpened empty case. Drill out the primer for a knock out rod.

You're changing case capacity kinda so adjust charge accordingly...

I find 'em less hassle and mess and you can even give them a liquid alox coating if desired...(haven't decided if that actually "does" anything but what the heck....)

Works for me....

Dennis

lefty_red
04-26-2006, 05:19 PM
Buck

Doesn't the primer BOOM burnt he hell out of the cork?

Does sound promising, I'll look into it. How big of a primer "hole" do you leave?

Jerry

Larry Gibson
04-26-2006, 07:05 PM
OK, I was going to cut some 41 mag cases down to "41 Special" length for some ligher plinking/groundhog rounds. I noticed some powder not getting burnt and fps lost and flux in the loads in the magnum length cases. Well, Its pretty damn expensive to get this little idea going, and I still haven't found my cell phone Young Prince flushed down the toilet. So I was looking at frugal options. And I remembered about the Cream Of Wheat (COW) I used for my BP loads in my '51 Navy and '61 Pocket Police. So, it there anything wrong with "filling" up the rest of the case space with COW? I would think not, but was wondering.

Jerry

I shoot gobs of 5 and 6 gr loads of Bullseye under 175 and 210 gr Lee TL SWCs bullets in my .41 without need of a filler. Basically they run 850 fps and 930 fps restectively out of my Bisley 7 1/2". I have been shooting the 175s and previously the Lee195 for years with excellent accuracy. I've been using the 210 the last couple weeks with excellent accuracy.

Larry Gibson

Bucks Owin
04-27-2006, 08:58 AM
Buck

Doesn't the primer BOOM burnt he hell out of the cork?

Does sound promising, I'll look into it. How big of a primer "hole" do you leave?

Jerry

There ain't enough TIME for a wad to burn I would think....:wink:

The hole for the knock out rod can be whatever you want. A little bigger than 1/8" will work then use a 1/8" rod to knock the cut wads out of the "cutter cartridge" every 2 or 3 wads....

I'll try to post a photo, maybe I'm not explaining this very well...

Dennis

Bucks Owin
04-28-2006, 07:19 PM
Here ya go. Not much to it.... (sorry for the lousy photo)

These wads are a nice snug fit and will not move around in the case after loading....

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/BucksOwin/IMAGE061.jpg

lefty_red
04-28-2006, 09:18 PM
OK! I see!

But, how many can you stick in there and not have too many?

Jerry

kodiak1
04-28-2006, 09:36 PM
lefty red Powder charge then cork wad then bullet.
Cork wad should hold the powder against the primer unless you are really shaking the shells after they are built.
Ken

StarMetal
04-28-2006, 09:56 PM
Boy what a mess this thread sounds like. Larry Gibson was trying to steer you right by telling you that you don't need to cut your expensive 41 mag cases down to 41 special (unless you have one of those custom fancy revolvers made for a 41 Special) and you don't need any filler like Larry was trying to tell you. Especiall no cork filler or no necessary extra step in reloading like a filler. It would take a case alot more cavernous then a 41 mag to need a filler with a small plinking charge of powder. Also give the groundhog some respect and at least make sure the load is up to snuff to hill him humanely like the loads Larry loaded. What loads Larry suggests you can take to the bank that your's will turn out pretty close.

Joe

lefty_red
04-28-2006, 11:22 PM
Joe

I'm going to hold you to that!

I'll redo a loading I tink is equal what Larry is suggesting, even though Bullseye is a faster burning powder than either Blue Dot and UC.

If I EVER get the crimp thing down, I think it should help out on the slower burning powders.

Jerry

StarMetal
04-28-2006, 11:35 PM
Jerry,

If you're wanting a reduced plinking load you don't want to use a slow burning powder so you don't have to worry with a light load about the crimp as much.

Joe

Bucks Owin
04-29-2006, 01:40 AM
lefty red Powder charge then cork wad then bullet.
Cork wad should hold the powder against the primer unless you are really shaking the shells after they are built.
Ken

Yes, they are quite snug and WILL hold the powder against the primer and withstand handling.
I also use them under #8 or #9 shot for building snake loads.

Starmetal, this is merely a better alternative (IMO) to messing around with Cream of Wheat as a filler...(which IS part of the beginning post)
Also, I personally don't like Bullseye and use some other powders that DO perform more uniformly when held to the rear of the caes.....

I'm sure Larry's load is a fine one. So are some others with fillers or wads....

Dennis

Bucks Owin
04-29-2006, 01:52 AM
OK! I see!

But, how many can you stick in there and not have too many?

Jerry

You only need one over powder wad to take the place of COW filler....
They take almost no time to make, an hour's worth of wad cutting will fill a small cofee can. That's a large supply!

Dennis

lefty_red
04-29-2006, 01:42 PM
Dennis

I think I'm gong to go to the local hardware store and pick upa sheet to try. The weather here is rainy and I've nothing to do till it clears.

I also remembered I've got a bunch of WONDER WADS left over from my 44 Army's. I shoot only 36 calibers now. So I'll try them also.

If time allows, I'll try to get a comparison of COW, cork, and WWads. But, I just got my ONE RAGGED HOLE back sight, so I need to sight it in. So much shooting, so little time.

Jerry

lefty_red
04-30-2006, 07:59 PM
Well, I got the results in....

I use .36 caliber wonder wads cause they fit the 41 mag cases. I got great groupings, and no unburt powders, but the cases had to be BEATEN out of the cyclinders. And, no, I didn't pound them in there!

I'm going to try COW Wednesday and maybe a different material like cork.

Same, cause it made for a nice light load. Maybe if I use a lightern charge ans even lighter bullet weight....

Jerry

mooman76
05-01-2006, 08:14 PM
Some people use the foam tray like meat comes on from the supermarket cut out the same way only bell the case first so the foam is a little larger and fits snug!

35remington
05-01-2006, 08:49 PM
If you must use a filler, I'm wondering why you aren't considering dacron for this use? Cheaper, faster, and very likely safer than some of the other options like COW.

A better alternative would be a less position sensitive powder, maybe Titegroup? Or, simply orienting the powder in the case before shooting.

stocker
05-02-2006, 11:35 AM
It is not clear to me from reading this thread if there is an air apace betwen the wad and the bullet base or not. If you are getting an air space that would be the classic situation that is reported to ring chambers and in this case cylinders. When you added the comment about having to pound the cases out of the cylinder it occurs that it could be from excess pressure or because the chambers are already ringed. Could you clarify what you are doing here? Don't think I like the direction you are going here.

lovedogs
05-02-2006, 12:58 PM
The problem with Cream of Wheat or some of the similar things is that over time they'll absorb some of the chemicals and solvents out of your powder. There have been some guns blown up due to this. If you shoot them up right away, no problem. Just don't store them and shoot them later. As others have mentioned, if you must use a filler, use dacron. Or, better yet, use no filler at all.

454PB
05-03-2006, 12:47 AM
After many experiments with fillers and wads in both rifles and hanguns, I came to the conclusion that sooner or later you are going to damage a gun and/or yourself.

Adjust velocity by changing powders.

475/480
05-03-2006, 06:58 AM
It might be easier to use a full case of Surplus WC680 for a low velocity load and surplus WC 680 is cheap.

Sean

Bucks Owin
05-04-2006, 02:43 AM
It might be easier to use a full case of Surplus WC680 for a low velocity load and surplus WC 680 is cheap.

Sean

I've found that SR-4759 is good in that regard too. It's a nice "bulky" powder (looks like 4350 or 4831) and doesn't leave much airspace in the case. I wish there was more data available for it......

Dennis

JudgeBAC
05-09-2006, 03:07 PM
:castmine: Try IMR TrailBoss. It is a bulky powder designed for cowboy action shooting but I have used it for other applications. It takes up a lot of room in the case, you cant overcharge the case and you get moderate velocity. This stuff really works.

slughammer
05-09-2006, 05:09 PM
.... but the cases had to be BEATEN out of the cyclinders.

Isn't that enough of an indication to stop?

JudgeBAC
05-14-2006, 11:56 AM
You might want to look at Pufflon.com. I personally have not used it but have read a lot about it and it seems to be an excellent product.