PDA

View Full Version : Round Balls

burch
10-14-2009, 05:37 PM
O.K. i`m wanting to cast up some round balls for me muzzleloaders. I have Lee molds and plenty of pure lead. I`m looking for any tips from you Mountain Men on casting round balls. What temp, tips on casting with the Lee molds etc.

Burch

:castmine:

beagle
10-14-2009, 06:10 PM
Not a mountain man but I've cast a few round balls. I normally use pure lead (as most people do) and find that I have to crank the temp up a little higher than normal to get good fill out.

Other than that, it's like casting any bullet./beagle

burch
10-14-2009, 06:17 PM
Not a mountain man but I've cast a few round balls. I normally use pure lead (as most people do) and find that I have to crank the temp up a little higher than normal to get good fill out.

Other than that, it's like casting any bullet./beagle

What`s normal temp range ?

docone31
10-14-2009, 06:28 PM
Crank that puppy up!
I use the bottom pour pot, and I set it on 9. The mold likes to be hot to cast well. Lee molds, at least ball molds, the sprue is cut off real well.
I like them. I can cast a lot, at least a lot more than I can fire in one day.
You will get the feel for it rather quickly. They cast just like regular boolitts.

Maven
10-14-2009, 07:22 PM
burch, I've been doing a lot more BP shooting this year, which means a lot more RB casting. As previously mentioned, you'll need to cast Pb at a higher temperature than WW's: 800 deg. - 850 deg. F (A good casting thermometer really helps in maintaining a steady temperature.) Although it's a PITA to do, I've resumed weighing every projectile I cast, as it does make a difference. You can use the rejects for fouling shots or plinking. Also, if you have more WW's than Pb, try casting RB's from them, particularly if you have a mold that casts a bit small. Although a few grains lighter than Pb RB's, they're just as accurate. Hope this helps!

beagle
10-14-2009, 07:29 PM
Normal temp for me is arount 750-775. You'll need another 100 degrees or so to get good fillout with pure lead from my experiences on round balls. Same with shotgun sabots and the few minie balls I've cast./beagle

What`s normal temp range ?