PDA

View Full Version : Something has happened here.

qajaq59
10-14-2009, 05:05 PM
A few years back I was looking for information related to casting bullets. I had looked over this forum many times and there seemed to be a friendly bunch of people. They all seemed more then willing to answer most any question that someone might present. Consequently I joined knowing full well that I would not be embarrassed by anyone that was trying to show how superior they were in casting, or any other part of gunning.
And I was right. I was treated well and help came from 15 direction any time I had a problem. And I am grateful for that.
However, over the last few months the forum has gone from a place where anyone could get friendly advice to a forum where, if I was just starting out, I would avoid like the plague. Have you read some of the longest threads lately? They look like battlegrounds!
One denigrates new people for asking a question that a 100 people have already asked. Another is a serious critique of how well someone spells, or punctuates their questions or answers. And neither, when read by a Newbie would encourage them to join in. Or have much to do with us. And then you have a few other threads where people are calling each other names and having pitched battles over innocuous nonsense that few care about anyway.
This is not only driving away some of the older, knowledgeable guys. It is preventing new people from venturing in.
Now if you think I'm wrong in wanting the old forum back, where a newbie can't wait to join and ask questions, then feel free to tell me off. (You wont be the first, although I'll have to read it for free now.)
But if you even slightly suspect I might possibly be correct, try your best to keep the forum a place where the people that are uneducated about casting bullets will feel comfortable asking whatever it is they need to know.
In short, why don't we all start being nicer and a bit more tolerant of each other. It'd be a lot more pleasant.

Qajaq59

markinalpine
10-14-2009, 05:20 PM
I agree.
I have had to bite my tongue, actually fingers, to keep from commenting adversely about the asked for the umteenth time question. "OH NO, not another question "how do I tell zinK weel wates from led wuns?'" (Intentional mispelling):bigsmyl2:
However, before I joined, and before I started posting, I read through the most of the stickies.
I also read through the comments that have already been posted BEFORE I post my own brilliant answer, so I don't repeat an answer, or worse give an wrong answer, or a poor or unclear answer.
I also don't care for the "Yup, that's what I do" non-answers/comments.
Mark :coffeecom

AJ Peacock
10-14-2009, 05:27 PM
I'm a noobie to THIS Forum, but not a noobie to the web. I've had nothing but helpful advice from this site, it has helped me come up to speed with casting and i look forward to reading it everyday. I have seen a couple threads that 'aren't perfect', but from my perspective they are easy to ignore and easy to chalk up to human nature. After all, we are all Humans (except for Carpetman :razz: )

Anyway, just a noobie's perspective.

AJ

OutHuntn84
10-14-2009, 05:28 PM
+1 When I first started lurking around I came to like this site because of the good ol boy style and attitude. It really frustrates me when I see people trolling and/or being nit picky. I really don't feel like I have the amount of seniority to tell it like it is at times when I see these things, but if we were all on my porch there would be alot more Big Freak'n Deals and Shut the Heck Ups directed to these self glorified know it alls (read trolls) who ruin the good ol boy equilibrium on this site.

Since this boy was suckling on his momma's breast, he's been given everything but discipline. And now his idea of courage and manhood is to get together with a bunch of punk friends and ride around irritating folks...too good natured to put a stop to it.
From the movie Second Hand Lion

Now aint that the dang truth!

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
10-14-2009, 05:29 PM
I also read through the comments that have already been posted BEFORE I post my own brilliant answer, so I don't repeat an answer, or worse give an wrong answer, or a poor or unclear answer.
I also don't care for the "Yup, that's what I do" non-answers/comments.

Yup, that's what I do. :)

Bret4207
10-14-2009, 05:34 PM
THis place has grown from less than 50 to over 11K in 4 years. Things are going to change and we've always had squabbles. Maybe you just missed them. Same for thread drift, we've always had that so don't be surprised if a thread on boolit nose design drifts to swimming pools and then to punctuation. It's just the way we do things.

As for my recent post about the same question time after time- How do you think many of our sections got here in the first place? That's how "Classics and Stickies", "Boolit Lube". "Lead and Lead Alloys", "Casting Equipment", "Paper Patching", "Favorite Loads", etc. all came to be. People kept asking questions over and over and someone eventually said, "Hey! Could we get a section for.....?". So don;t take it as rudeness, it's just the way these things evolve.

Bret4207
10-14-2009, 05:36 PM
+1 When I first started lurking around I came to like this site because of the good ol boy style and attitude. It really frustrates me when I see people trolling and/or being nit picky. I really don't feel like I have the amount of seniority to tell it like it is at times when I see these things, but if we were all on my porch there would be alot more Big Freak'n Deals and Shut the Heck Ups directed to these self glorified know it alls (read trolls) who ruin the good ol boy equilibrium on this site.

Since this boy was suckling on his momma's breast,he's been given everything but discipline. And now his idea of courage and manhood is to get together with a bunch of punk friends and ride around irritating folks...too good natured to put a stop to it.
From the movie Second Hand Lion

Note: Language edited!

Now aint that the dang truth!

And you'll note the recent post from the site owner requesting people watch their language. You need to be aware of that and that your post contains language that's never been suitable for this site.

OutHuntn84
10-14-2009, 05:59 PM
My apologies to any abreviations or quotes that offended you Bret. I will try and better sensor myself in the future. I have edited my previous post to more PG terms hope it is more sutible for this site, if not please pm me and let me know. :wink:

JSnover
10-14-2009, 06:29 PM
For 10 years I've been on more forums than I can remember and they all have the same issues. There are plenty of good folks here, we just need an occasional reminder. It's really not a big deal as long as the majority cares enough to nip things in the bud.

Lawnjockey
10-14-2009, 06:42 PM
"In short, why don't we all start being nicer and a bit more tolerant of each other. It'd be a lot more pleasant."

I couldn't agree more, there is enough nastiness in the world right now. BTW, The above quote sounds like something coming out of the State Dept. lately.

Jocko

Bret4207
10-14-2009, 06:51 PM
My apologies to any abreviations or quotes that offended you Bret. I will try and better sensor myself in the future. I have edited my previous post to more PG terms hope it is more sutible for this site, if not please pm me and let me know. :wink:

Thanks. It's not that I'm offended, it's that we ALL have to keep in mind it's not just "us guys" here. Believe me, there are times I would like to use much cruder terms than I do, but propriety demands a certain discipline in that line.

BTW smart guy, it's "censoring". Have a nice day!:bigsmyl2:

Lunk
10-14-2009, 07:00 PM
I have to say for myself I lurked around here for a couple months before joining. I found the online guide the first couple days and downloaded that for reading. After going through it I found I had more questions then when I started so I started reading the stickies and postings on the site. I have yet to cast anything (have to wait for spring now) but I have found the wealth of information available here to be immense. I'm actually rather glad I have to wait because reading and re-reading postings on subjects gives me greater understandings of the different steps and procedures.

I for one ignore the flame wars because you will find them anywhere o the net and to get involved gets me away from what I want, EG information on casting.

When I first thought about it I figured you poured some bullets and loaded them like jacketed. I had NO idea the extra steps involved and the idea of customizing a round for a specific gun. Now I have so much stuff I want to try when I get a chance.

BCB
10-14-2009, 07:08 PM
I began posting here on 3-21-2005, and this site is my Home Page....
(I wonder if there is a sequence of when people joined-- #1, #2, etc.)…

I started casting some time before that, but I really don’t remember how many years before that “sign on” date. Maybe only a few before—I consider myself still an apprentice, but I sure know a heck of a lot more since I visit this site every morning when I start my computer (0430 hours) and it is the last site I look at when the day ends for me (2200 hours)…

I have never received a snide comment on any thread I started or participated in to the best of my recollection! And I guarantee that I have asked questions that have been asked before…

I always attempt to use the “Search” feature, but I simply don’t get results, many of the times, that I am looking to find. NOTE: This is on ALL sites that I visit and try to use that feature. I just can not fine tune it to pick the subject I am looking for—my lack of computer savvy is most likely the cause…

I think this site can be compared to a person that has been on a specific job/profession for a long time and they know there duties to the point that they become mundane. I know a hobby is different than a job, but the same thing might apply….

I have had the “pleasure” of training new people where I work and at times, I can become quite “snappy” with my training methods. I try at all efforts to avoid this, but sometimes it just happens. I forget that I had to learn also. Usually a very sincere apology gets me out of the soup, and I think the trainee is O.K. with that. Regardless, I see some of my training go into effect with the new ‘cruit, and it means the task got accomplished. Some even come back and ask questions later when they get the same title that I have, but with less experience…

If someone is simply being vicious, well that can’t be tolerated and I think the veteran members here might take a view and post some disdain—I think that would be the thing to do. If arguments continue or perpetuate, the moderator should step in…

I may be missing some of the posts that this thread is directed at, so some of my comments might not be relevant to the situations mentioned…

Regardless, I “ain’t” going anywhere else—the trouble-makers generally are self-eliminating—or the proper authorities do the eliminating…

Just my thoughts…

BCB

mpmarty
10-14-2009, 07:08 PM
I've been here for a bit and very much enjoy exchanging ideas and learning from you more experienced casters. I think we need to quit trying to minimize others sarcasm and try to increase our own sense of humor and tolerance. After all this is supposed to be "fun" and if it gets too serious it becomes too much like "work". Some of us enjoy sharp exchanges of opinion spiced well and served hot.:drinks:

Leftoverdj
10-14-2009, 07:19 PM
Since we are taking offense here, this thread offends me.

Tippet
10-14-2009, 07:23 PM
I have yet to see a single example of the kind of pie-fights you're talking about anywhere on this forum, so I guess I need to spend a little more time here. And report them. Anyone acting inappropriate;ly ought to be spoken to. Anyone repeatedly causing a problem ought to be banned.

Rocky Raab
10-14-2009, 07:34 PM
Agree. This is actually one of the MOST friendly websites I frequent. Also one of the most knowledgeable, if only in the narrow area of lead bullet-making.

The "same question" issue is a lot like when your child endlessly repeats "Dad. Dad. Dad. Dad." while you are engaged in some other task. Sooner or later, you get a little tired of it. Same here.

markinalpine
10-14-2009, 07:35 PM
Since we are taking offense here, this thread offends me.

...by people who are always offended! :kidding:

Mark :mrgreen:

plumber
10-14-2009, 07:38 PM
I have found myself buried in this site a lot more often than I ought to be!!
So far everyone I have dealt with or asked questions have been great. I know the redundancy can be a real pain to some, myself included. However, I am guilty of things that irritate me so I won't throw rocks at that glass house. I find it better to help out if I can, or just move on.
On another forum I belong to, we had a long time member who was no joking the best wealth of knowlage around. A good portion of the site dealt with legal stuff, and this gentleman is a premier firearms attorney. This gentleman would just about kill people with humiliation over not searching archives, spelling and everything else that annoys us all. The harrassment finally got to everyone, and he is now banned.
Sorry for my misguided most likely misspelled rant, my spellcheck is off. I just feel that if you can help do, if you can't or just am tired of answering the same question over and over again, keep it to yourself. No need to get personal.

plumber
10-14-2009, 07:40 PM
...by people who are always offended! :kidding:

Mark :mrgreen:

+1!
that was the topic of descussion at work today!!

Marlin Hunter
10-14-2009, 07:43 PM
However, over the last few months the forum has gone from a place where anyone could get friendly advice to a forum where, if I was just starting out, I would avoid like the plague. Have you read some of the longest threads lately? They look like battlegrounds!

Qajaq59

DO you mean the political/religion forum? To me that is like the men's locker room. You can say almost anything you want, but you can't hit someone. And what goes on in the locker room stays in the locker room.

Tippet
10-14-2009, 07:46 PM
This ain't no locker room bro.

waco
10-14-2009, 08:42 PM
how bout the big to do with starmetal and larry gibson???
sad to see larry leave the forum
always liked reading his threads and posts

Tippet
10-14-2009, 08:46 PM
missed that one got a link?

bearcove
10-14-2009, 08:57 PM
When it comes to writing I stink! That is my problem. Makes it hard to write something that conveys emotions like happy ,angry, amused... or just put an idea into words.

I can make about anything Boolits being one thing. I'm a welder, pipefitter,I'm building a 43' boat I designed, next year I might start building another house, starting to learn to be a machinist.

When some of these experts who write 500 word responses rags you like you are stupid I usually laugh. Sometimes I don't. This is a poor medium of communication for some, especially those who are outside doing something all day every day.

waco
10-14-2009, 09:10 PM
tippet
check under shooters.com
read larrys thread.....Adois

Leadforbrains
10-14-2009, 09:17 PM
This is still a great place. There are a lot of folks here and everyone is not always going to be happy all the time. Nor is everyone going to say the right thing all the time, but the majority of everyone here on their worst day are still good people.
I like it here. I like all the members here and I will keep coming back so long as y'all have me.

AZ-Stew
10-14-2009, 09:35 PM
I try to keep it civil, but occasionally my terse writing style is mistaken for sarcasm or coming down on someone. Sorry if I've offended anyone. It wasn't intentional.

As for the spelling, each time a person posts, there is the option to do a spell check. The icon is in the upper right corner of the window. It's a check mark with the letters "abc" superscripted above it. There's no excuse for some of the spelling errors that appear here when auto spell check is instantly available.

On the other hand, inappropriate spelling won't be caught by the spell checker. For instance, "I would rather use 4895 then 4064", when it should be, "I would rather use 4895 than 4064", will never be caught by spell checker programs. You might catch it with a grammar checker, but none is available, unless you run your post through Microsoft Word prior to posting. There, they're and their are also frequently misused. It drives me nuts, but I restrain myself. Maybe we need a "Spelling" sticky (S-P-R-U-E, not spue, spew, spur or spruce).

Regards,

Stew

finishman2000
10-14-2009, 09:40 PM
i'm fairly new new here. I always try the search fuction before posting a question. It always rubs me wrong when a new guys asks the most common question and see a post 3 or 4 places down that has his question in the title.
I have to say, i give you guys credit to keep replying to the same question.
This is a great place to talk casting boolits. It's like a club that many want to try but never take that step. We have taken that step and i would like to thank all for passing the good word along.

nicholst55
10-14-2009, 09:49 PM
I for one ignore the flame wars because you will find them anywhere o the net and to get involved gets me away from what I want, EG information on casting.

I totally agree; ignore the trolls, and when they realize that nobody is listening, hopefully they'll go away.

Heavy lead
10-14-2009, 09:57 PM
Maybe because much of my life working with the public in two different businesses has involved in educating consumers I cringe, especially a new member poses a question only to get some snotty remark such as use the search engine, or some such other non-sense such as that. Most of the time the question can be answered by just as much cerebral energy the poster used in the curse remark directed at the much too asked question. Many times I've followed up these posts with a helpful post sometimes even with a link to a thread. Some of us should realize that navigating a website that is unfamiliar to us is not all that easy, also we should realize not not everyones computer skills are not the same as others. I've always had the opinion that as human beings we should always be educators and students to continue to thrive, better our fellow beings, and also learn to better our own lives.
That brings me to point out the good of one particular member that comes to mind who is always helpful even though he may have answered the question 500 times before and that is the fair minded Felix.
Maybe we should all strive to meet his high standards in this regard.

ghh3rd
10-14-2009, 10:00 PM
"People, I just want to say, you know, can we all get along?"

Thanks for a great site with a bunch of great information from a bunch of great folks!

randyrat
10-14-2009, 10:01 PM
I hate looking stuff up on past post:-P I always double check my spellin.
I like the one "To" many- Too many they'ers a good n fer ya.
Seriously now, there are somedays i can't spell anything, i don't catch my spelling errors, or i just don't know how to spell the dang word. I'm working at it though.

I do feel for some of the new guys trying to figure out a question here and there and they get "do a search" if i have time i try to help. Some do run out of patients and get tired of answering the same questions over and over. I'm used to kids doing that to me around home.

Now i have another Grand kid and i'm sure he will ask someday; Why do wheels go around grandpa.... or why do you like to play with guns, why do girls sit down to go pee, how many leaves are on that tree, why do you have thin hair, grandpa when are you gonna die. OMG here we go again:-P

Bullshop
10-14-2009, 10:08 PM
AZ-Stew
I tried that spell check thingy a couple times and ended up loosing the whole post. In frustration I refuse to use it again so you see there actually may be a good reason why not to.
BIC/BS

Hunter1
10-14-2009, 10:08 PM
I agree! Just because someone doesnt spell write ,or there question isnt quite worded right does not mean they are stupid. We are all on here for some insight on somethings we dont need to criticize others we all have are faults we arent perfect.Hell i cant spell somethings as you can see but im not stupid... Lets all just help each other and have respect and fun. Im a newby to so i hope my thought counts

Hunter1
10-14-2009, 10:11 PM
:drinks:
I agree! Just because someone doesnt spell write ,or there question isnt quite worded right does not mean they are stupid. We are all on here for some insight on somethings we dont need to criticize others we all have are faults we arent perfect.Hell i cant spell somethings as you can see but im not stupid... Lets all just help each other and have respect and fun. Im a newby to so i hope my thought counts

IF YOU CANT SAY ANYTHING NICE DONT SAY ANYTHING AT ALL!!

Leftoverdj
10-14-2009, 10:25 PM
Trying to dictate to others is more offensive than anything y'all have been whining about.

Bullshop
10-14-2009, 10:39 PM
What I have learned is that I dont have to be the one. What I mean is if I have tired of answering the same question just kick back and watch. In just a bit there will be several who have recently learned and are now anxious to be the one to answer.
Its kinda like a family, you teach your children then you kick back and watch your children teach your grand children. You still reap the reward of a job well done. It seems so rewarding to me to see someone you have taught become a good teacher.
So here at CB we have great grand fathers, grand fathers, fathers, and children.
We are all here for the same thing. Kick back and give the kids a chance. If they run into trouble we have the elders here to help. A family of casters and loaders thats what we are.
Blessings
BIC/BS

wallenba
10-14-2009, 10:40 PM
Qajaq59, yes I noticed too, I keep a mental note of each and do not allow myself to be baited into a digressing discussion. It happened once, won't happen again. I'm a thick skinned individual anyway.

Heavy lead
10-14-2009, 10:42 PM
What I have learned is that I dont have to be the one. What I mean is if I have tired of answering the same question just kick back and watch. In just a bit there will be several who have recently learned and are now anxious to be the one to answer.
Its kinda like a family, you teach your children then you kick back and watch your children teach your grand children. You still reap the reward of a job well done. It seems so rewarding to me to see someone you have taught become a good teacher.
So here at CB we have great grand fathers, grand fathers, fathers, and children.
We are all here for the same thing. Kick back and give the kids a chance. If they run into trouble we have the elders here to help. A family of casters and loaders thats what we are.
Blessings
BIC/BS
Bravo Daniel.

hicard
10-14-2009, 10:45 PM
I have been casting and loading for over 47 years now and I really enjoy this site and learn something new all the time. Sometimes, with my memory, I learn the same thing over and over again. I do not understand though, how folks get etc. for (etceteras) wrong and use ect. Now, I got my pet peeve out of the way and can continue enjoying myself again.

9.3X62AL
10-14-2009, 10:51 PM
This is a GREAT site, and whenever I see a question asked for the umpteenth time--I view it as an oppurtunity to help a less-experienced member. EVERY ONE OF US was new to this hobby field at one time or another, and I take a very dim view of disparaging remarks made by seasoned hobbyists toward less-experienced folks. There is no faster way of turning someone off to to the hobby, to the site, or to firearms in general. It's also a CRUMMY way to mentor or instruct people. It boils down to bullying.......and I loathe bullies comprehensively.

Spelling or grammar........not everyone was given a good education. Plain truth. Our schools do a very uneven job of equipping our citizens to read--write--calculate--even balance a checkbook. I don't believe it is fair to penalize folks for being the product of lackluster schooling--rather, I just do the best I can to understand them, and ask for clarification in a non-judgemental way. I was a lucky one--many others are/were not. As for spelling, Mark Twain once said that he didn't give a d--n about a man who could only spell a word one way. Spelling wasn't a big issue until the early 20th Century, and any reading of unabridged texts from the 18th or 19th Centuries will bear that out. Non-issue, to me anyway.

wallenba
10-14-2009, 10:54 PM
Perhaps the parties involved in a spat should be required to reread Waksupi's entire thread on loob gooves for sale until their attitudes readjust.:p

condorjohn
10-14-2009, 11:23 PM
Why can't we all just get along? - Rodney King... 198?

nonferrous
10-14-2009, 11:29 PM
This thread is what it is.
I got here because I pulled out 1000 LSWC's from storage and the lube had melted out over the years. I needed to get loading and asked for a solution on the Smith and Wesson site. Someone sent me here and I thought they misspelled Bullets.
Anyway, the questions were answered, the Boolits were saved and I have gotten a ton of good advice and guidance since, as well as a few good trades and buys since I showed up.
If there is a negative thread going, sometimes it's interesting to read, 1st amendment etc. If not I go on.
The thing that is really wrong with this site as far as I am concerned is that with that one click, I have gone from a happy reloader, content to buy cast bullets for six cents each and crimp them in those casings for as long as I wanted to shoot. To someone, that in about 90 days, now owns a complete casting setup with several molds, bottom drop pot, etc, a complete smelting setup with my very own propane furnace and about 700 pounds of various lead alloy in the garage. Also, I now have a Donut delivery route to several tire shops.
Not to mention the time I have to spend each day on the site because I don't want to miss anything.
Thanks for everything Guys, I really mean that.

sundog
10-14-2009, 11:37 PM
nonferrous metamorphasis

Buckshot
10-14-2009, 11:42 PM
The thing that is really wrong with this site as far as I am concerned is that with that one click, I have gone from a happy reloader, content to buy cast bullets for six cents each and crimp them in those casings for as long as I wanted to shoot. To someone, that in about 90 days, now owns a complete casting setup with several molds, bottom drop pot, etc, a complete smelting setup with my very own propane furnace and about 700 pounds of various lead alloy in the garage. Also, I now have a Donut delivery route to several tire shops. Not to mention the time I have to spend each day on the site because I don't want to miss anything.

.............And all this time you thought you were so incorruptable! You're simply ruined, dude :-)

..............Buckshot

Lunk
10-14-2009, 11:48 PM
Perhaps the parties involved in a spat should be required to reread Waksupi's entire thread on loob gooves for sale until their attitudes readjust.:p

I think everyone should be forced to read that. It was quite funny.
It should be stickied as the number 1 post on classics/stickies. That way all us newbies get totally lost for about 6 or 7 posts.....
:twisted:

10-15-2009, 12:16 AM
By far this is the best site on the net. Huge membership. Normal range of egos. Amazes me how civil it really is. This type unrest usually starts about January-February up north- the cabin fever thing. The timing of this unrest, amongst like minded people, seems unusual. Most here (99+%) have shared common interests thus similar political leanings. May have been brought up already but could it be there is an underlying but very real social/cultural stress manifesting itself? A government on the verge of destroying over 200 years of the best system any nation in history has ever devised while regular folks, like the membership here, feeling absolutely powerless to stop it. :-(

Three44s
10-15-2009, 12:31 AM
Waksupi's ........... "loob grooves" had me laughing quite a bit the other evening!!!!

Priceless!!!

About repeats: I usually use the search engine ...... and like more than one other poster here mentioned, I might redirect a question into a new thread if I could not quite get a full glass of water out of the search.

Secondly, I am thinking that the times we are in .......... pressure on gun rights percieved ......

....... we are more testy than we would be otherwise.

I hope we can cool our jets here ............ Boolits is a very ammeniable web site and I think it can and should stay that way.

Cheerio!

Three 44s

runfiverun
10-15-2009, 12:54 AM
the way i see it is if no questions are being asked whether for the 50th time this week or not then there isn't much reason for the site.
the posts are only half the picture.
try the chat room,i have met lot's of friends in there. new ones anyways.
the swapping and selling area is the telling point of this forum.
i work over 200 miles from home and i am gone for weeks at a time and have purchased items and have made it known that payment would not be possible untill i returned home and the item was waiting for me at the post office.
when i went to send the payment.
where else are you going to get that?
now as far as the arguements,you are gonna have that, just because of the experience and the i done it because i worked at it attitude.
you want to see some arguements? watch a group of guys discuss the next step on a hole going wrong that has 5+ million invested in it.
especially after they have been there for 3-4 days with no sleep.

SciFiJim
10-15-2009, 12:56 AM
I came here after seeing a reference somewhere else about glue boolits (gloolits). THAT, was a fun read.

I have seen some of the spats take place and quickly made my way to another thread. I once called a couple of senior members on it and suggested that they take it to PMs to settle. I quickly had my nose bitten off by both parties for sticking it into the fray. It seems that they liked their dispute. The only problem is that it would drive off lurkers or new members.

We will never know how many potential members came here, saw one of the disputes instead of finding something of interest and departed, never to return.

Bullshop Dan, your post was inspired. We should all make what he said our mission, to pass on knowledge and the enjoyment of a new hobby to new shooters and casters.

GSM
10-15-2009, 01:02 AM
Secondly, I am thinking that the times we are in .......... pressure on gun rights percieved ......

....... we are more testy than we would be otherwise.

I hope we can cool our jets here ............ Boolits is a very ammeniable web site and I think it can and should stay that way.

Cheerio!

Three 44s

3x44's: Probably a combination of the gun rights, incompetent DC leadership, jobs, prices, etc. that's got everyone on edge and sensitive - like a cornered badger.

Hopefully the line noise will blow over and we can all go back to learning some more from each other.

Ugluk
10-15-2009, 01:49 AM
By far this is the best site on the net. Huge membership. Normal range of egos. Amazes me how civil it really is. This type unrest usually starts about January-February up north- the cabin fever thing. The timing of this unrest, amongst like minded people, seems unusual. Most here (99+%) have shared common interests thus similar political leanings. May have been brought up already but could it be there is an underlying but very real social/cultural stress manifesting itself? A government on the verge of destroying over 200 years of the best system any nation in history has ever devised while regular folks, like the membership here, feeling absolutely powerless to stop it. :-(
A thought occured to me.
The political stuff seems to be leaking out of the OT-section, and giving other sections a bitter smell.
Also the likemindedness means that the few in minority appear to be quite heavily battered, as every poster seems to try to smite the unbeliever just a little bit harder than the previous.
There's a lot of name calling with accusations of communism and such.

jdgabbard
10-15-2009, 05:13 AM
I think I hear good things coming out of this thread.

You know this really is one thing that is important to me as a member of this site. I found site through a guy on another forum. I had bought about 1500 commercial boolits and was looking for some good info on loads. Was directed here and started reading. Soon after I join and started posting and getting my equipment together.

Being from Oklahoma the atmosphere was naturally similar to the type I grew up in. As mentioned before. Good 'ol boys. I've learned a lot, and continue to learn due to the kind souls that continue to give advice on questions that they've probably been asked a thousand times. Now I do know how to use the search function. I do use it, and I many times find what I'm looking for. However, sometimes there is more to the question that I have then what I find. I don't mind the repeat questions. And honestly if we stopped seeing the repeat questions sooner or later the site would run out of subject material to talk about.

As for attitudes on the site. I've yet to really see much of anything to be considered horrible. I have seen some threads lately that I didn't agree with what their standard of conduct over certain topics here. But that's just me, the country boy from a small town. For the most part I find this forum to be a very kind and generous place. One I'm proud to be a member of. And where I too go first thing every morning from my PC or Iphone to check out new threads.

What can I say. I'm hooked.

JMN322
10-15-2009, 09:06 AM
I got here because I pulled out 1000 LSWC's from storage and the lube had melted out over the years. I needed to get loading and asked for a solution on the Smith and Wesson site. Someone sent me here and I thought they misspelled Bullets.
Anyway, the questions were answered, the Boolits were saved and I have gotten a ton of good advice and guidance since, as well as a few good trades and buys since I showed up.
If there is a negative thread going, sometimes it's interesting to read, 1st amendment etc. If not I go on.
The thing that is really wrong with this site as far as I am concerned is that with that one click, I have gone from a happy reloader, content to buy cast bullets for six cents each and crimp them in those casings for as long as I wanted to shoot. To someone, that in about 90 days, now owns a complete casting setup with several molds, bottom drop pot, etc, a complete smelting setup with my very own propane furnace and about 700 pounds of various lead alloy in the garage. Also, I now have a Donut delivery route to several tire shops.
Not to mention the time I have to spend each day on the site because I don't want to miss anything.

Me too.

I've never casted before, but this site has been so helpful, I have the confidence to try. I don't have anybody I know to help me, but feel like I have lots of "mentors" here on this site as a resource. That's the best thing.

I think people need to (before they flame somebody), remember that there are lots of total noobs to casting and in innocence people ask questions that have already been asked and answered. A helpful assist to a previous thread is better than chewing people out.

acl864
10-15-2009, 11:47 AM
I'm just getting started casting and posting on this forum. My first post with the obligatory questions that had been asked and answered many times before was greeted with warm welcome and good advice. I realize that some of the questions I have asked and will ask in the future are probably already addressed in previous threads or stickys. But there is such a vast wealth of information here that it's overwhelming to try to sort through all of it to find an answer to your question. Sure I'd love to read every post and sticky that's on this site, but I don't have a month or two to spare. Sometimes searching for an answer is only easy if I already know the answer. For example: Where do I get a good price on bullet lube? Search bullet lube on this forum and see how many hits you get...
If I ask a question and get directed to a previous thread or sticky, I'm not offended, I'm grateful. If I get chewed out or made fun of, I'll just ignore it...

bedwards
10-15-2009, 11:51 AM
You guys on this board have been more helpful and interesting to read than any other I've been to. I've been reloading/casting on and off since 89 but have learned more here in the last few months than I care to admit!

thanks for making it interesting guys
be

Blacksmith
10-15-2009, 01:38 PM
Yes the same question will be asked over and over. Some people are too lazy to do even minimal research to find the answer and most of them will never change. There are some long time members who not only won't use the search function on this site but have never heard of Google for non site topics. There is nothing that mandates you read each and every post or even every thread so when you see "Can GC boolits be shot without GC's" for the 99th time it is alright to skip over it. Someone else who may be in a better mood will answer it and if in that answer they happen to suggest the questioner try the search function or refers them to a link to another post, that is also part of the learning process. Just giving people answers keeps the questions coming and makes them dependent however teaching them how to find their own answers empowers them and lets them learn much more.

Stupid is forever Ignorance can be fixed. This site and the people on it are great at fixing ignorance.

Sometimes people enjoy a heated discussion as long as it is civil, let them. People have opinions and if yours are different than mine I can't help it that you are wrong so I will ignore you and can even block you on this site. What I read or don't read, answer or don't answer, post or don't post is up to me and the same goes for you. Any visitor who makes a decision about this site from looking at only a couple of threads is missing the rich diversity of:
Threads: 52,008, Posts: 622,486, Members: 11,135 ( current statistics)
And that is their loss.

This forum may not be perfect but in my opinion is does a pretty good job.

Blacksmith

cheese1566
10-15-2009, 01:44 PM

Ditto, ditto, ditto, ditto!

klcarroll
10-15-2009, 02:08 PM
Well, ......While I am a relative "newbie" here, .....I do moderate on an unrelated forum.

...And that experience has taught me two things:

1) Spelling errors do not indicate relative intellegence or insight! (If you want proof, just look at reproductions of the first drafts of either Shakespeare's or Mark Twain's work!)

2) A question is not stupid simply because it is being asked for the 500th time! ......Do we REALLY believe that nothing new ever comes to pass??? Is a new user ALWAYS wrong if he doesn't look at the "Old Data" in the archives?????

...........If "Old Data" was always "Good Data", .....then we all would still be acting on the belief that the Earth is flat!

Kent

Leftoverdj
10-15-2009, 02:20 PM
Well, ......While I am a relative "newbie" here, .....I do moderate on an unrelated forum.

...And that experience has taught me two things:

1) Spelling errors do not indicate relative intellegence or insight! (If you want proof, just look at reproductions of the first drafts of either Shakespeare's or Mark Twain's work!)

2) A question is not stupid simply because it is being asked for the 500th time! ......Do we REALLY believe that nothing new ever comes to pass??? Is a new user ALWAYS wrong if he doesn't look at the "Old Data" in the archives?????

...........If "Old Data" was always "Good Data", .....then we all would still be acting on the belief that the Earth is flat!

Kent

We don't care how you did it back there. If it was so wonderful, you would not be here.

BTW, it's spelled "intelligence".

Yes, one who asks a question without checking available information is always wrong.

EMC45
10-15-2009, 02:30 PM
This is still the best shooting/reloading/casting/gun site on the whole internet! I think there are great folks here and we are gonna have our disagreements, but as a whole I really enjoy it here. I check this site several times a day.

Powderpacker
10-15-2009, 02:49 PM
I would like to use much cruder terms
Shouldn't that be spelled "crooder"?

badgeredd
10-15-2009, 02:52 PM
I agree that this is undoubtedly one of the best of the best web sites. Not just because of its shooting related content either.

There are those who are internet heroes on every site...so be it. Many times I've just jumped out of a thread because I didn't like the direction the posts were going. There seem to be a few who like to leave short terse remarks that are intended to stir the pot, but again...so be it.

Several have said what I feel...if you don't like the question (because it is a repeat) then ignore it or GUIDE the asker to the info and POLITELY mention using the search. It really isn't that hard for most everyone and for those that find it alien...well ignore that too. Answering a perceived DUMB question with a snotty remark just belittles the poster who made the snotty remark. If the spirit moves me to answer a question that has been asked previously SEVERAL times, I answer the way I'd like to be replied to. If I can't I say nothing. I've mellowed with age and let things go by that I would have jumped onto years ago. I think they call that maturing...

Edd

montana_charlie
10-15-2009, 03:14 PM
I don't remember how I got here, but I belong to several shooting forums that relate to BPCR...my main interest.

I'm sure it was a Google search that landed me here, but that has taken me to many other sites over the years, too. Having 'sampled' so many, I can say without qualification that any 'agitation' seen in posts here are nothing compared to the outright 'aggression' seen elsewhere.

Those who complain about this environment are too tender to be playing with big boys.
If you see a member taking flak that you think is undeserved, speak up in his defense. If you get your ears pinned back, you can keep on...or quit.

The difference here is the food in our food fights is suitable for eating...not the putrid garbage you see thrown at those 'other' places.

As for leaving terse answers to newby questions...for me, that depends on how the question is phrased. Some guys ask questions to cure their ignorance. Others ask ignorant questions.
I could provide examples if you really wanted them, but you probably know what I mean.

Then, there is literacy...or lack of it.
I don't type efficiently, so I have to spend a lot of time 'editing' my comments after they are written. It's not a desire for perfection, but a matter of being 'presentable' when doing something 'in public'.
To me, that goes along with taking a bath before going to town, and taking my hat off in a restaurant.

I consider people who are unwilling to 'be presentable' as slobs. Maybe they are lovable slobs...and I have some personal friends who qualify...but they are still unwilling to do what it takes to clean up their act.

Posting and reading on a site like this is a perfect opportunity (for a person who received a poor education) to learn garmmar and spelling. All he has to do is observe others and compare what goes on...with his own habits.
We had a recent 'discussion' about the apostrophe. It wasn't a vitally important conversation, but it made the information available to the hundreds(?) here who don't have any idea of how to use them.
Those who won't take advantage of information like that...well, there you go.

The kicker comes when the 'grammar challenged' jump into a thread like this one to complain about others who DO try to 'be presentable'.

Sorry, folks. If you prefer to be seen as a slob, I won't become one just so "We can all get along."

CM

jonk
10-15-2009, 03:25 PM
I will nominally agree. However, it does drive me nuts when people misspell things, punctuate poorly, use all caps, and so on. I'm a language teacher, and maybe that's just part of my nature. It STILL drives me nuts to read terms like 'boolit' and 'sillywet' and 'soupcan', but I've learned to live and let live in those cases, and regard them as terms of the trade. I consider them to be silly, but I've learned to live with them.

That does not, however, excuse poor spelling or grammar. Most modern browsers offer spell checks and even grammar checks built in to their software. I don't mind if someone misspells friend as freind or rifle as rifel- that could even just be mistyping, not misspelling. But sometimes people type one long run-on sentence with a host of misspelled words, and yes, that drives me nuts. I can write drunken and in the dark and do better.

On to the question of newbies asking the same questions over and over. This is a valid point if the member has been here awhile and has, say, 100 or more posts. I haven't started a new topic other than a general discussion piece in quite awhile as most of my questions have already been answered or can be found in the archives when someone else asked them. When a newbie asks something like 'can a gas check bullet be shot without a gas check?' or 'can you tumble lube non tumble lube designs in LLA?' or 'How do I slug a bore?'- if that bothers you either don't read/answer the post, or just provide a link to the answer. You don't have to type it all out yourself.

SciFiJim
10-15-2009, 03:39 PM
We don't care how you did it back there. If it was so wonderful, you would not be here.

Yes, one who asks a question without checking available information is always wrong.

Leftoverdj - If you meant this in sarcasm, it didn't come across that way. It comes across as being an example of what this thread is all about. It was poorly done and you should have read it to yourself before posting to see if it helped or hurt the conversation. My 2¢.

Tippet
10-15-2009, 03:51 PM
Jim you beat me to it.

L, posts like that have a high potential to lead to a real pie-fight.

I've been involved in these online forums for a decade, mostly fishing and shooting forums. I moderated a very popular sportfishing site for years, and IMHO this is among the finest forums in terms of the respect with which people treat each other. However, as membership swells, we're likely to see more and more pie-fights. The best thing we can do is treat each other with equal parts patience and humility. Don't bait each otehr and don't rise to the bait.

This combined with firm moderation will work.

2ndAmendmentNut
10-15-2009, 03:54 PM
Qajaq59,
My apologies. I am afraid that I might be guilty of some of those annoying, and unfriendly posts. Thank you for calling us/me out on that. From now own I will be a more conscious poster.

Rocky Raab
10-15-2009, 04:05 PM
Yup, my own posts are a bit lacking when I'm unconscious. (I'm sure you meant conscientious, LOL! That's yet another great example of how a spell-checker is next to useless: perfect spelling; wrong word.)

I enjoy this board. I also am a professional writer, so sophomoric terms like "boolit" read like baby talk to me. Most irritating. Yet, that's the tradition of the board, and while I won't use terms like that, I shrug when others do. If I can offer a teaching moment on apostrophes or word usage (as above) I try to do it in a humorous or at least friendly way. I sincerely hope they are taken as such.

Springfield
10-15-2009, 04:22 PM
"Boolit" if neither a mis-spelling nor a sophmoric expression. It separates "us" bullet casters from the usual commercial bullet buyer and reloader. I proudly have "Cast Boolits" stickers in plain sight.

Tippet
10-15-2009, 04:23 PM
LOL "boolit" isn't a sophomoric term, a boolit is a beautiful thing, a gift from god

Raab please take it from a former moderator who learned the hard way: any attempt at correcting peoples' spelling or grammar will only make you look bad, without causing any improvement to spelling and grammar on the forum.

georgewxxx
10-15-2009, 04:38 PM
I'm one of the old refuges from the old "Shooters Forum" but don't post or even get to check in daily as some do here. Not long after Boolits got going good, Beagle asked several of us to see if we'd take on assignments and get a "cast book" of most often asked questions going. We worked on that for a couple years and between proof writers being deployed overseas and a lot of other problems showing up, the "Book" ended up being posted on Castpics as Articles By Members. That in itself is a problem, but it's what we've got. Going through all the stickies anymore for the new kids is even a daunting task. Are we getting too big? No! It's just not as easy as it is reading your favorite rag that come in the mail, with contents directing you to articles or posts you really care about.

Some time later I asked a question myself on powder or boolit selection, and some gent said "Aren't you a experienced loader? You should know the answer to that question' After that I hesitated asking too many questions. Then it occurred to me even people with a lot of experience need help on occasion. The varied interest of all of us in the loading and casting fraternity has warranted so many different categories in our forums, it's almost impossible to read everything posted. Way different that the Shooter forum way back when. So the repeat questions get ignored and most of the rants likewise.

As for as the search ability on Boolits goes I feel it's lacking a lot. I've tried several times to bring up subjects I know were posted and can't find them. Actually it's almost easier to query Google about something than on our own search engine. So telling the newby to do a search won't necessarily bring up the best threads that'll answer his question from out most knowledgeable people. .....Geo

jhrosier
10-15-2009, 04:50 PM
...Actually it's almost easier to query Google about something than on our own search engine. ....

George,

If you use the Google advanced search and put 'castboolits.gunloads.com' in the 'search site or domain' box at the bottom of the page, you have the best search engine looking at the best website.

Can't beat that with a stick.:-)

Jack

georgewxxx
10-15-2009, 05:13 PM
Thank-you Jack, I'll try and remember that. ...Geo

Ohio Rusty
10-15-2009, 05:53 PM
Boards and fora can be a valuable information tool and a fun or social plaything/pastime. However, the written word on the Glowing Screen is fraught with weaknesses and dangers as folks try to communicate as best they can write WITHOUT the benefit of body language, gestures, facial expressions, tone, inflection, volume, and the ability to perceive clarity and truthfulness.

Boards and fora often require some time for Newcomers to get a feel if not understanidng for the "culture" as well as the "personalities" of Board members- and that can take, time, patience, understanding, and even a thick skin at times."

But yes, folks think and speak differently, believe in different things, and have their versions of the way of doing things as to what they want to put into and what they expect to get out of their hobbies.

Boards and fora are NUG (normally, usually, generallly) mixed communities not clubs or associations of rigid lock-stepped and cloned members. (some boards more so than others though).

Newcomers find a board/forum and community. They expect it to be a mirror of themselves. They expect to be welcomed and validated in how they approach their Mental Pictures and Hobbies.
They give their Power away to others, and when some few of the others are not the most accepting, agreeing, well-writing and smooth-talking, polite, and well-mannered, etc., etc, they are hurt and offended, which is not done on purpose by the listmembers that respond to questions.

IMHO, there are very few people on this board that think like me, believe like me, or play like me. But we all share some common threads in the fabric of our lives and experiences. That is what makes the sharing and learning of knowledge pleasureable. I read and learn more than I talk, as there are many on here MUCH more knowledgeable than me. I truly appreciate their freely sharing their knowledge with everyone on this board.

Ohio Rusty ><>

Leftoverdj
10-15-2009, 06:00 PM
Leftoverdj - If you meant this in sarcasm, it didn't come across that way. It comes across as being an example of what this thread is all about. It was poorly done and you should have read it to yourself before posting to see if it helped or hurt the conversation. My 2¢.

I know what this is all about. It's about a bunch of whiners trying to control what others post. The lot of you should be ashamed of yourselves.

We're here to talk cast boolits. Let's talk cast boolits and drop this nonsense about how we talk.

45nut
10-15-2009, 06:23 PM
Yup, my own posts are a bit lacking when I'm unconscious. (I'm sure you meant conscientious, LOL! That's yet another great example of how a spell-checker is next to useless: perfect spelling; wrong word.)

I enjoy this board. I also am a professional writer, so sophomoric terms like "boolit" read like baby talk to me. Most irritating. Yet, that's the tradition of the board, and while I won't use terms like that, I shrug when others do. If I can offer a teaching moment on apostrophes or word usage (as above) I try to do it in a humorous or at least friendly way. I sincerely hope they are taken as such.

The word "boolit" as defined in my signature is neither "sophomoric" nor derisive to me, it defines us as quite distinctive and not mere clones of tradition.

The Finnish word "Boolit" is a noun also, a drink containing distilled spirits. I like to think we are just as distilled and just as spirited. [smilie=s:

wiljen
10-15-2009, 06:23 PM
I think this thread is now officially beating a dead horse. Either people have read it and will take heed, or people have read it, will assume this was meant for someone else and will continue as they have in the past.

Truth be told, the idea that the forum as a whole has gone down hill or taken on a bad attitude is simply not true. The vast majority of our members are great and continue to do everything in their power to help new members and casters.

I am tired of the entire membership being blamed for the banter of a vocal minority. This practice is not fair to the vast majority of our membership.

Yes we have a vocal few that have spoken out about being tired of answering the same question again. If that applies to you, my advice is don't answer at all. Someone else who isn't tired of answering the question will come along and do so and spare you the trouble. That's the beauty of forums, everyone can contribute as much or as little as they like.

As for spelling and grammar, please try to remember we have a lot of people who are doing as best they can with learning English as they learn casting thanks to the forums. And we also have some members like myself (Dyslexia) that despite our best efforts will periodically get it wrong. If you are one of the fortunate who are not afflicted with the inability to spell or difficultly with parts of speech, count yourself lucky, but please don't make it a point to belittle or point out others misfortunes. We all do as we can and someday you might need real help from someone who cannot spell or even speak the same language. It would be a shame to have alienated these people over petty issues wouldn't it?

Beekeeper
10-15-2009, 06:33 PM
I am a relative newbe to this site.
I have been here approximately 1 year.
When I was growing up, and probably most of you as well, I was taught the only dumb question is the unasked one.
I wonder how all of the "old timers" and perfectonists would feel if you failed to answer a question and someone "A Noob as you call them" died or was severly hurt because of lack of knowledge.
I have been reloading for 40 years and only recently taken the plunge into cast "Boolits".
I find that there all sorts of differences between the two disiplines that could cause major problems for me or some one who is just starting out.

I am not the best of spellers and I do not write for a living so I wonder how many of the people who complain actually spell perfectly.

As for the bad karma posts that are ,or were, going on the posters should of had enough sense to take their battle to the PM section or to the chat room and spare everyone else the pain of having to read it.

I like the cast boolits forum and like others have been a member of several others and find cast boolits to have 100 times as much information readly available than any other forum .
I will be here as long as the site owner will allow me and will still be asking those dumb questions because that is the way I learn something new.

Jim

9.3X62AL
10-15-2009, 06:35 PM
The term "boolit" also gets past a LOT of firewalls that will halt any mention of "bullet".

Ken's board tries--and again succeeds--in having something for everyone. And some folks just enjoy having something to complain about.

Bret4207
10-15-2009, 07:08 PM
Holy krap guys! Chill out. For all you whiners complaining about my asking for a gas check area- go back through my posts and see the dozens of times I answered the question and hundreds of other posts were I gave out information! We NEEDED an area for the gas check discussion. It was evident to anyone who looked and it's here and it's being used.

So chill out. No one is giving the noobs a hard time or dissing anyone. Stop whining. eh?

Blacksmith
10-15-2009, 07:37 PM
As far as spelling and grammar goes we should remember we have members from around the world and English especially American English, which has some regional differences, may not be everyone’s native language. In addition different regions, countries and cultures have varying standards, spellings, linguistic structures, and modes of expression so we should all be willing to cut some slack for our fellow members.

Blacksmith

markinalpine
10-15-2009, 08:09 PM
George,

If you use the Google advanced search and put 'castboolits.gunloads.com' in the 'search site or domain' box at the bottom of the page, you have the best search engine looking at the best website.

Can't beat that with a stick.:-)

Jack

Thank-you Jack, I'll try and remember that. ...Geo

Thank you both.
I sometimes haven't had much luck trying to search this forum. :killingpc

Mark :coffeecom

alamogunr
10-15-2009, 09:02 PM
After reading through this entire thread and another similar thread in Shooters.com, I've resolved to ignore poor spelling, grammar and offensive language. Also, on every visit to the site, I'm going to spend some time reading through the Classics and Stickies. I know that a refresher on many of those subjects would be a benefit. Most of what I know and have not had to learn from my mistakes, has come from the members of this forum. I am appreciative of that and will continue to come here for answers.

While typing this post, it occurred to me that many of the things that irritate some here may be due to poor typing ability. I am a fairly good typist but if I had to peck out a post with two fingers, I doubt that I would have the patience to post more than a couple of sentences.

John
W.TN

Tippet
10-16-2009, 01:42 AM

I know what this is all about. It's about a bunch of whiners trying to control what others post. The lot of you should be ashamed of yourselves.

We're here to talk cast boolits. Let's talk cast boolits and drop this nonsense about how we talk.

L you may want to step back and have a serious hard look at this. This is exactly what this thread is about- yes this is a forum to discuss boolits, but also to do so in a way that brings a rewarding experience. When you use that kind of language, you're coming across like you want to pick a fight. Whatever perceived bad thing someone thinks they're responding to, when they speak like that they're creating a problem.

The best thing we all can do is avoid such language at all cost. If someone asks a question and someone else thinks they should have looked it up instead of asking, then they should just just ignore it.

And KLC, while on one hand you may not be alone in wanting to post what you did, you should know that doing so could likely make the problem worse.

Southern Son
10-16-2009, 01:50 AM
I came here from another forum after a new dude asked a question that they did not like (can you beleive it was a question about a safe smokeless load for an old 45/75 or similar). The Newb was ridiculed, insulted and abused by all the "old timers", and not one of them offered up where the information could be found or an answer to the question. I left that sight and only went back there once (the black powder section was still locked some 2 months later). I have stayed here because generally the smarter people are willing to help the new guys and the dummies like me.

But lately I have noticed a change. Some old timers are getting a little short, some guys are attacking other members personally rather than arguing an idea, and other members seem to be quite concerned with everybodies spelling and grammer. I really hope it settles down. This is the best site on the net (I am registered on a few other forums, but this place has it all, so I don't bother with the others).

Brent, you are right, a gas checks section was needed, between the factory gas checks, Free Chex (and all the stuff you can make them out of), home made gas check making, using gas chekc designs without gas checks, removing the gas check shank from a mould (how much fun would it be putting it back?), the section was needed.

Buckshot
10-16-2009, 02:02 AM
.................I'm needing the iron core for the magneto on a 1948 I-H ODS-6 Diesel tractor. Yes it has a magneto 'cause it starts on gasoline. Not to change the subject or anything.

..............Buckshot

Ugluk
10-16-2009, 02:15 AM
Good spelling is useful for improved communication. Less misunderstandings and posts that can be read without a lot of guessing and headache.

It is however essential for the search funktion to work at all, along with thread headers that indicate the actual question asked.

Otherwise newbies will be expected to search for "gas sheks" or sort through hundreds of threads labeled "Help needed!".

That being said, I think this place is a wonderful warm community. I got a hearty welcome in my first post here, and I won't forget that.

303Guy
10-16-2009, 03:00 AM
Then there is the fun factor. It is fun to talk directly with the experienced and knowlegeable folks here when working on a 'problem' or looking for new or just more information. Why look something up when we can simply ask? We get to 'meet' folks who know or do or have been where we cannot ever go! (Or who can inspire us to actually go there). I am often awed by the skills and experience of some folks who are willing to share there time.

rugerman1
10-16-2009, 03:43 AM
Buckshot,got any pics of that 1948 I-H ODS-6 Diesel ?

Bret4207
10-16-2009, 07:33 AM
.................I'm needing the iron core for the magneto on a 1948 I-H ODS-6 Diesel tractor. Yes it has a magneto 'cause it starts on gasoline. Not to change the subject or anything.

..............Buckshot

What make and model mag?

1Shirt
10-16-2009, 08:42 AM
After lurking thru all of this thread, I am reminded of a brass plaque that a 4 star general who commanded SAC years back kept on his desk. It said "There is nothing in your job discription that entitles you to be an SOB!" Am also reminded of what a lot of mothers have said over many years: "You kids play nice now!!!!". Have serious doubts that any of us will ever be classified as experts regarding cast. At best, we may become highly informed about one portion of casting, or loading cast, or shooting cast, or whatever. Regardless, doesn't hurt to be tolerant or polite on this forum. Have always figured that there was no such thing as a dumb question if you didn't know something. That said, have run into many many stupid answers.
1Shirt!:coffeecom

alamogunr
10-16-2009, 10:12 AM
It is however essential for the search funktion to work at all, along with thread headers that indicate the actual question asked.

Otherwise newbies will be expected to search for "gas sheks" or sort through hundreds of threads labeled "Help needed!".

With the international flavor of the membership here there will always be differences in spelling. I'm not sure if it was intentional but I doubt that "funktion" would produce any results. The point is, I knew what was meant. Hey! If it was easy, a lot of us would lose interest.

John
W.TN

Leftoverdj
10-16-2009, 11:15 AM
L you may want to step back and have a serious hard look at this. This is exactly what this thread is about- yes this is a forum to discuss boolits, but also to do so in a way that brings a rewarding experience. When you use that kind of language, you're coming across like you want to pick a fight. Whatever perceived bad thing someone thinks they're responding to, when they speak like that they're creating a problem.

The best thing we all can do is avoid such language at all cost. If someone asks a question and someone else thinks they should have looked it up instead of asking, then they should just just ignore it.

And KLC, while on one hand you may not be alone in wanting to post what you did, you should know that doing so could likely make the problem worse.

Tippet, you do not get to dictate what I post and how I post it. Your attempts to do so are far more offensive than anything I have posted. As I have stated, I am offended by this whole thread. If there is a problem, the moderators will take care of it, not self-appointed pecksniffs. I find your whole attitude rather odd, coming from someone who used an intentionally offensive icon.

Bill*
10-16-2009, 11:55 AM
Ahhhh...Isn't camaraderie wonderful [smilie=1:

Papa smurf
10-16-2009, 12:11 PM
If you know I spelled it wrong or put the comma in the wrong place you knew what the #%@##I ment in the first place, so chill !
Just be lurking for a bit-------------Papa Smurf

Idaho Sharpshooter
10-16-2009, 12:12 PM
You can generally read into a forum what you relate to in the outside world. This place is about as interesting as a pitcher of warm spit for flame wars. Rumor has it God once lived here for thirty-three years. He spent much time assembling a team of twelve good men to assist Him in His ministry. One of them turned out to be a poor choice. Got Him killed! The odds here have been much better over the years. The average family reunion has more going on in terms of conflict.

Rich

dromia
10-16-2009, 12:36 PM

..............Buckshot

Is it anything like my old grey Fergie?

Ugluk
10-16-2009, 12:49 PM
With the international flavor of the membership here there will always be differences in spelling. I'm not sure if it was intentional but I doubt that "funktion" would produce any results. The point is, I knew what was meant. Hey! If it was easy, a lot of us would lose interest.

John
W.TN

:oops:
I stand corrected. A bit of Swedish sneaked in there.

Leftoverdj,
I haven't seen anyone tell you wht to post or not. Are you sure you're not reading to much in to it?

Oldtimer
10-16-2009, 01:31 PM
I think wilgen had the best comment yesterday. I am new here, as are many of you others. I come here to get new ideas, as well have fun reading some of the posts. I also, like a lot of you, have been casting for 35+ years. I, also probably have as many college hours as any member here. I am never annoyed at the way anyone presents a post. People do the best they can. It is also not my place to correct, dictate, or belittle anyone, in any shape form or fashion. Thats just my feeling. If I want to reply to something, I do. If I don't, I won't. Simple as that. No use in getting upset. I hope no one is offended by my post. Just the way I feel. Bob

klcarroll
10-16-2009, 01:50 PM
@Leftoverdj;

I have just one question: "Why are you going so far out of your way to be disagreeable??"

....After reading your posts, I find myself feeling sorry for you.

Kent

montana_charlie
10-16-2009, 02:08 PM
As for spelling and grammar, please try to remember we have a lot of people who are doing as best they can with learning English as they learn casting thanks to the forums. And we also have some members like myself (Dyslexia) that despite our best efforts will periodically get it wrong. If you are one of the fortunate who are not afflicted with the inability to spell or difficultly with parts of speech, count yourself lucky, but please don't make it a point to belittle or point out others misfortunes. We all do as we can and someday you might need real help from someone who cannot spell or even speak the same language. It would be a shame to have alienated these people over petty issues wouldn't it?
I read this comment yesterday while re-reading the entire thread. I knew, at the time, there was something wrong with it, but did not stop to figure out what it was. On second reading the problem is clear.

I can't know how many times wiljen has interacted with 'foreigners', but he has two definite misconceptions about their use of English.

When conversing in English with a (say) German, it is required that the English speaker use basic and widely-accepted words, and they must be spoken in a moderate rhythm, with clear enunciation and good pronunciation.

To do otherwise leaves the German with unclear 'data' he cannot translate.

When the conversation (between the same two people) is in German, the German will (usually) speak in the High German dialect, will speak those difficult multisyllabic German words with great precision, and will try to time his delivery to the speed of understanding showed by his listener's facial expression.

I could not know these things without having experienced this kind of communication on many occasions.
In order to follow the same rules when writing, instead of face to face conversation, it is necessary to use 'real' words (not slang), and spell those words correctly. (If the foreign 'listener' is using 'something' to translate your comments on this forum, he must input correctly spelled words to have any hope of understanding what you wrote.)

wiljens first misconception is that we should give foreigners a break when they post here.
If you look at the posts from Hubertus, Ugluk, and other non-English speakers who are members, you will find that they don't use English words incorrectly (as in 'spruce plate'), their punctuation is (at least) minimally correct, and they don't misspell English words.

There is a poster (perhaps on another forum I frequent) who is French. It is obvious that he struggles with his English, and he frequently apologizes for that. But, his comments are absolutely easy to understand. The sentence style may be a little 'stiff', and he may use a term that has better options, but his posts are clear and...spelled correctly.

So, the first misconception is that we shouldn't jump on our foreign members for their faults. Actually, their comments are essentially faultless.

The second misconception is that we might alienate our non-English speaking members if we correct them.

English is a required course in many European schools. Those who come here to participate have an interest in actually using the English they learned. For that reason, and because the school systems over there are so efficient, Hubertus, Ugluk, and others probably know the rules of the English language better than our 'grammatically challenged'...who don't place any special importance on writing their own language correctly.
If there were an occasion where (say) Ugluk might benefit from a correction, you can bet your sprue plate he will gratefully accept any (polite) 'adjustment' you give him. Why? Because his mastery of English is something he can be proud of, and he is (I am certain) always looking for an opportunity to make that mastery more complete.

Several participants in this thread have put out the thought that 'people the world over can see what we write here'. They then ask if we are alienating others by arguing over such petty stuff as 'spelling'. Are we driving away potential members?

How about this point of view...
Yes, we are visible to the world. How much does it bother you when the factory worker in Poland, the accountant in Germany, and the machinist in Sweden can write YOUR language better than you can...while you are saying (publicly) that you don't care if you can spell or not?

CM

45nut
10-16-2009, 04:03 PM
Ahhhhhhh,, so much discussion and opinion about life, expectations and reality.

This is my take, nothing has changed here for the worse, in fact just the opposite has happened in reality.

We have always had the occasional thread that sings loudly above the others that gets notice and regrets, they tend to die of their own weight eventually.
Human nature being quite imperfect it is those threads that gain followers and hundreds of views and 10's of posts, and we learn from them and move on.

In the real view of this forum, we are blessed and fortunate to have so many diverse and yes, even clashing views from time to time so we can get back to the focus and mission here with a fresh perspective on that mission, sharing our personal experiences and knowledge.

There are no laws set down that require anyone to accept anyone's view without study on their own, no law that sets any method above all others.

What we do have is a place to put forth our experiences and let the individual judge for himself whether he or she should accept what is presented or move on for another view.

"More than one way to skin a cat" as one such example.

Now we do have standards of conduct here that as based on common decency.
Those rules are really pretty simple, just don't be a jerk.

On that note, let's just let this die a natural death and move on to the mission.

No_1
10-16-2009, 06:46 PM
Gentlemen,

Don't compare your life to others or theirs to yours. You have no idea what their journey is all about or where it has taken them. If they don't spell as good as you or articulate their message as well as you doesn't make them any less of a person.

This board exist for one thing only and that is the art of casting. Let's move on now.

Robert

randyrat
10-16-2009, 07:08 PM
Buckshot,got any pics of that 1948 I-H ODS-6 Diesel ? Yeh here is Buckshots Trackor with a new paint job.Don't let Buckshot fool ya into thinkin he is small time farmin

nonferrous
10-16-2009, 07:31 PM
"Can we go home now?"

(Charlie, after trying to catch the Shark with a Beef Roast in "Jaws").

MT Gianni
10-16-2009, 07:49 PM

..............Buckshot

Ah man, you gotta lathe. I bet you could make one out of an old wheel rim.

Blacksmith
10-16-2009, 08:28 PM
For Rugerman and others who dig Old Tractors try this site:
http://www.roughandtumble.org/
Be sure to take a look at the picture album.

See you there next Reunion. I'll be in the Blacksmith Shop.

Blacksmith

Buckshot
10-17-2009, 02:03 AM
Ah man, you gotta lathe. I bet you could make one out of an old wheel rim.

............Actually several years back I DID need that part. Old tractors just don't die, and I was able to buy a brand new magneto core iron at the Case Tractor dealership. It wasn't breathtakingly expensive either.

randyrat, that is FOR SURE NOT our old tractor!

dromia, Is it anything like my old grey Fergie? I dunno Dromia. Do you have to climb up on the steering wheel to turn it? It's a big ole dude and majorly cast iron :-)

Bret4207, What make and model mag? Actually I think it is I-H because the part was available from Case.

My father in law (bless is now departed heart) was a 'Fiddler'. Not a musician but one of those who due to a genetic trait can't leave something alone? Especially if he doesn't understand it or it catches his attention? It's too bad his fiddleing didn't extend to machinery maintanence. He was discing a field one day and stopped for some reason I don't recall, if in fact I ever knew. In any event he got to fiddleing with the injector pump while it sat there idleing. This is a Bosch timed injection deal so the high side is under considerable pressure.

He managed to fiddle off what would basically be the adjuster for the injector delivery pressure on the high pressure pump. He came down to get me to help him hunt up the parts that had blown out in the field. After an hour or so of crawling around weedy dusty loose dirt looking for god only knows what, we gave up. Luckily we have a complete shop manual for the thing and he was able to buy and replace the missing parts.

.................Buckshot

dromia
10-17-2009, 03:11 AM
Here is an old Grey Fergy tractor.

The Crofters friend. :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/adamsutherland/Misc/231815.jpg

I've turned a few dreels with one of these in my time.

Gohon
10-17-2009, 08:39 AM
First I'll say I haven't paid a lot of attention to this thread. Occasionally reading when I see a new post and nothing else new on other threads. Some of the comments seemed valid and some seemed in my opinion just silly. But what has caught my attention more than anything is the number of off topic posts, specifically tractors, that have nothing to do with the thread. It's one thing for a topic to gradually slide over and straddle the fence on a topic but when you have moderators and long time posters who know better, completely hijack a thread........well it makes one wonder.

Bret4207
10-17-2009, 08:51 AM

Like the 8n Ford over here. I know what a crofters is (I think I have ALL of John Seymours books) but we don't have them here. We have "hobby farmers" and to them an 8N is the "dream" tractor. I never thought they were much good except for pulling a rake or maybe a little carryall on the 3 pt. Amazing people were able to farm with them.

Now a "dreel", that's a new one on me. A furrow perhaps?

Bret4207
10-17-2009, 08:52 AM
Ah! Humor. Ark! (apologies to Mork)

............Actually several years back I DID need that part. Old tractors just don't die, and I was able to buy a brand new magneto core iron at the Case Tractor dealership. It wasn't breathtakingly expensive either.

randyrat, that is FOR SURE NOT our old tractor!

dromia, Is it anything like my old grey Fergie? I dunno Dromia. Do you have to climb up on the steering wheel to turn it? It's a big ole dude and majorly cast iron :-)

Bret4207, What make and model mag? Actually I think it is I-H because the part was available from Case.

My father in law (bless is now departed heart) was a 'Fiddler'. Not a musician but one of those who due to a genetic trait can't leave something alone? Especially if he doesn't understand it or it catches his attention? It's too bad his fiddleing didn't extend to machinery maintanence. He was discing a field one day and stopped for some reason I don't recall, if in fact I ever knew. In any event he got to fiddleing with the injector pump while it sat there idleing. This is a Bosch timed injection deal so the high side is under considerable pressure.

He managed to fiddle off what would basically be the adjuster for the injector delivery pressure on the high pressure pump. He came down to get me to help him hunt up the parts that had blown out in the field. After an hour or so of crawling around weedy dusty loose dirt looking for god only knows what, we gave up. Luckily we have a complete shop manual for the thing and he was able to buy and replace the missing parts.

.................Buckshot

waksupi
10-17-2009, 10:12 AM
First I'll say I haven't paid a lot of attention to this thread. Occasionally reading when I see a new post and nothing else new on other threads. Some of the comments seemed valid and some seemed in my opinion just silly. But what has caught my attention more than anything is the number of off topic posts, specifically tractors, that have nothing to do with the thread. It's one thing for a topic to gradually slide over and straddle the fence on a topic but when you have moderators and long time posters who know better, completely hijack a thread........well it makes one wonder.

Thread hijacking is a tradition, and an art form here. The only difference this time, it was done intentionally! :p

Jaybird62
10-17-2009, 10:32 AM
Few are the times I laugh out loud at something I read on the internet. The intentional hijack was a masterpiece.

Sometimes even bright lights flicker and dim.

remla75
10-17-2009, 01:48 PM
I love to learn time and agin as I can't remember long enough to do something . Irealy like the chance to go back to a post to reread as I work on soomthing please keep up the good work and remember that a teacher does the same class each year and each year add to it if they are good . Thank you for the great site tthat teachtes time and agin the only way we learn

leftiye
10-17-2009, 02:12 PM
Gohon Didn't you notice who was doin' the hijacking. OMG, let's call a moderator! LOL

dromia
10-17-2009, 02:30 PM
Now a "dreel", that's a new one on me. A furrow perhaps?
Thats right Bret.

They were handy little things, well they still are, especially when working areas of ground no bigger than an acre.

Hydraulics and a PTO, they were a godsend where leverage and handpower went before.

When I was a bairn I can still remember my father scything the oats and my mother and me gathering the sheaves and putting them into stookies.

The hay was raked into colies and then the stack was built.

Blacksmith
10-17-2009, 03:31 PM
dromia
Were you a "wee bairn"? We probably have fewer oats this side of the pond, not so much haggis eaten. So when I was a small boy I remember the farmers shocking the sheaves of wheat. Did you take the last stookie and use it to weave corn dollies?

Blacksmith

Gohon
10-17-2009, 03:45 PM
Gohon Didn't you notice who was doin' the hijacking. OMG, let's call a moderator! LOL

Of course I did............and I wasn't calling for a moderator or making a complaint. Apparently you missed the entire point. I said and I quote "what got my attention". So now all I have to do is figure out if it is rules don't mean squat or do as I say, not as I do. I guess in reality it does kind of fit in with the OP's subject huh. :grin:

Bob Krack
10-17-2009, 04:10 PM
Many good points here and a few "bad" ones. My command of the writing of messages is a terrible sight to behold. The intentions of my messages are not clear many times. I have had and do have poor internet connections and have been cut off mid-sentence many times.

All of my Grandparents died by my early teens and I look to many here as ancestors that I respect and try to see what they seem to mean.

If I ever hurt your feelings or offend you I offer my apoligies in advance.

I'm 66 and have found myself asking questions that I asked 6 months before and that I knew 25 years ago.

Men have hormonal imbalances regularly just like the fairer sex has.

Some here do NOT speak English and rely on browser translation, that is the absolute truth.

I defy anyone to present a group of 10,000 plus human beings and not find an complete heathen.

I love it here and will do all I can do to support without complaint.

Bob

Bret4207
10-17-2009, 06:58 PM
Thats right Bret.

They were handy little things, well they still are, especially when working areas of ground no bigger than an acre.

Hydraulics and a PTO, they were a godsend where leverage and handpower went before.

When I was a bairn I can still remember my father scything the oats and my mother and me gathering the sheaves and putting them into stookies.

The hay was raked into colies and then the stack was built.

I still use a scythe for trimming weeds. Have a grain binder and thrasher for oats, etc. Someday I hope to make more use of my draft horses.

waksupi
10-17-2009, 07:56 PM
Of course I did............and I wasn't calling for a moderator or making a complaint. Apparently you missed the entire point. I said and I quote "what got my attention". So now all I have to do is figure out if it is rules don't mean squat or do as I say, not as I do. I guess in reality it does kind of fit in with the OP's subject huh. :grin:

Gohon, REALLY! Hijacking is allowed on this board, always has been always will be! I know of no place where any rule is posted against it. If it is, please bring it to my attention. I REALLY should know about it!!

badgeredd
10-17-2009, 08:07 PM

Dromia,

That looks to be a TE20 or a TO20...my dad has one that I've been working on to get it going again. Seems to need a total fuel system cleaning and a new ignition coil yet.

I've done my share of plowing with a 2 bottom in small fields back in my youth, as well as pull hay wagons, rakes, and do some disking with a 8N Ford which is essentially the same tractor as your Fergy. Nice tractor.

Edd

Lawnjockey
10-17-2009, 08:50 PM
7 pages of group therapy. Hmmm.

All I can say is nice tractor.

Jocko

Buckshot
10-17-2009, 10:32 PM

.............Gohon, please accept my apologies if you thought I was intentionally trying to hi-jack the thread for any other reason then to lighten things up some. Also I have absolutely ZERO ill feelings toward this thread or any of the posters at all. I also understand what qajaq59 (the original poster) was concerned about. But when 99% of the time things go nice and smooth, the thankfully few and far between squabbles show up like a big zit in the middle of Christi Brinckly's forehead (I don't know the names of any current 'hot' models :-)).

From my point of view the entire Cast Boolits group of forums have in reality NO problems compared to some, and some much smaller bulletin boards. To go further every member here has been a real delight regardless how long they've been a member. I especially have a special regard for those across the ocean (either direction) who also partake of this cast boolit activity. If it's as comparatively of limited scope there as it is here per capita, they must REALLY be considered whack jobs there! I'm amazed at their command of English. I've abused it for 56 years and have only the barest inkling of it's correct useage :veryconfu

But anyway to finish up, the whole hi-jacking thing so far as being 'time honored' isn't really a mean spirited or intentionally demeaning thing. Some of these folks have been hanging around each other since about 1997. It is NOT a snobbish club of exclusives I'm speaking of but more simply like just being comfortable with each other, and that was Ken's (45nut) entire reason for starting the Aimoo board, after Shooters.com folded. None of us wanted to loose what we had.

Before it folded, they would no longer accept new members. Some thought that was a very great thing to be so clannish. Yet if you're not growing, you're dying and a lot of us wanted it to be open again so Ken created a board at Aimoo. As it was, with a somewhat large group who'd been around each other for awile, it was really nothing unusual for topics to drift way off course. Nothing ill willed in it at all. The whole reason for my little diversion here being about tractors is because the mere mention of tractors would send the crew off on a tangent. It happened often enough to become a joke.

Like any other extended family you're going to have the odd uncle (our #1 is Carpetman) or the funny aunt, or the offensive brother in law. Consider the yearly NCBS (Nevada Cast Boolit Shoot). This year was the TENTH ANNUAL one we've had. It started in 2000 with 5 people off the Cast Bullet (no Boolit's then [smilie=l: ) forum. We didn't even know each other's real name or what each other LOOKED like, HA!

It has grown for the same reason this board has grown. Great people having a great time doing something they love, with others of a like mind. You all speak the same language. In fact NCBS has become more of a family reunion then anything else. It would just tickle us to death if other board members could get similar gatherings together as it's a blast.

We're all friends here, and a lot of us simply share the same handicap, which is that we've just never met.

...............Buckshot

anachronism
10-17-2009, 10:41 PM

..............Buckshot

Try Standard Magneto. They have everything. If you have a part number for it, PM me & I'll put it on our parts locator at work.

http://standardmagneto.com/

felix
10-17-2009, 11:10 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/news/quickquestion/2007/november/popup5895.htm

... felix

PatMarlin
10-17-2009, 11:51 PM
I had to get in on this one after 7 pages.

Sir Felix is a golden god- all bow to the great one ..:mrgreen:

Gohon
10-18-2009, 12:44 AM
Buckshot, I hadn't even thought about a intentional hijack until someone else brought it up which got me to thinking that maybe there was some insider thing going on that I didn't know about. Got to admit though when it kept going and going like the energizer bunny, I started wondering which is really what got me to post my comment. Most likely should have just kept my mouth shut.

This is one of my favorite boards if not the favorite. I've learned more here than I could have ever discovered on my own. This thread was odd to my thinking anyways as I've never seen what qajaq59 was concerned with. Then again I only read two sections and post in only one section so that doesn't mean much. So if you thought you had to apologize to me, I apologize for making you think you had to apologize..........now I'm getting dizzy. I think I'd better call it a night before I really make a fool of myself.

No_1
10-18-2009, 07:16 AM
Awe, I think it is time for a group hug. :kidding:

PatMarlin
10-18-2009, 11:05 AM
We all can be fools here- pass gas, stick our foot in our mouths, and still be loved at the end of the day. How do you think I got over 5000 posts?.. :mrgreen:

Rick N Bama
10-18-2009, 11:21 AM
This thread has 7 pages? Why am I only seeing 4?

Rick

PatMarlin
10-18-2009, 11:55 AM
This thread has 7 pages? Why am I only seeing 4?

Rick

Maybe your control panel is only set for so many pages. You can edit that, and set it to show more I believe but don't quote me on it.

Blacksmith
10-18-2009, 12:41 PM
Rick N Bama
The other three pages are where we talk about you.
:bigsmyl2:

Buckshot
10-19-2009, 03:33 AM
Rick N Bama
The other three pages are where we talk about you.
:bigsmyl2:

...............You guys are killing me :-)

.............Buckshot

Buckshot
10-19-2009, 03:35 AM
We all can be fools here- pass gas, stick our foot in our mouths, and still be loved at the end of the day. How do you think I got over 5000 posts?.. :mrgreen:

..............That's all pretty much the truth. About the posts, I just figgered it was because you didn't have anything else to do? Am I close? :-)

...............Buckshot

Silicon Wolverine
10-19-2009, 09:02 AM
dont feel alone fellas. Over at the HPFF we are going through the same thing. i dont post around here much, but i have always gotten good info and more respect from other users than anywhere else. as forums grow they change in unexpected ways. sometimes good, sometimes not. suffice it to say i'm not going anywhere just because of a few bad apples that like to stir up ****.

SW

PatMarlin
10-19-2009, 09:23 AM
..............That's all pretty much the truth. About the posts, I just figgered it was because you didn't have anything else to do? Am I close? :-)

...............Buckshot

Why I autta... ifn' you wasn't my cousin ...:mrgreen:

StarMetal
10-19-2009, 10:24 AM
I couldn't resist, this 60's protest song seems fitting:

There's something happening here
What it is ain't exactly clear
There's a man with a gun over there
Telling me I got to beware

I think it's time we stop, children, what's that sound
Everybody look what's going down

There's battle lines being drawn