PDA

View Full Version : Lee Pot temp incredibly stable!

AJ Peacock
10-14-2009, 04:24 PM
Using my new Lee 4-20 botom pour, I cast some boolits today and decided to keep a close eye on my thermometer. I was kinda hoping the temp would fluctuate a bunch so I'd have a reason to build a PID temp controller. At least I wanted to know how consistent the temp would stay.

The level in the pot was around 3/4 full when I started. The mold I was using worked really good around 825F the last time I used it, so that was my target temperature. I heated the pot with the dial all the way up. Once the temp reached 825F I turned the dial down until I heard the relay kick off. I then started casting. For the next hour, the temperature held surprisingly steady. At no time did the temp go below 822F or above 825F. As I cast, I'd occasionally drop the sprue's back into the pot. I made sure to drop the sprue's when the temp was up around 825F and this would drop the temp a degree or two (depending on how may sprue's I dropped in) When I was done, the pot was only 1/2 full but the temp was still holding steady.

I'm a 'tinkerer' and was kinda hoping I'd have to build a PID temp controller, it looks like that isn't in my future.

AJ

Shiloh
10-14-2009, 04:34 PM
Thats isurprizing. Especially when adding sprues, culls, and emptying the pot.

When I add sprues back in, the temp drops by about 75+ degrees.

SHiloh

AJ Peacock
10-14-2009, 05:16 PM

SHiloh

I suppose if I really emptied the pot, the temp would rise, or if I waited 1/2 hour to add the sprue's back in. I probably added the sprue's every 10 minutes or so. But with the process I used, the temp was very stable.

AJ

GRid.1569
10-15-2009, 07:01 AM
Mine cycles quite a bit, far from stable in use... I also get a fair drop in temp when putting material back in the pot...

Something else I've noticed though is that the power dial (knob) doesn't need to be very high in order to get the temps I'd be looking for. I've gotten 600 degress with the setting at 3... Could this be because I've got a 220v version for UK? I can easliy push my temps 900+ accoding to my Lyman thermo...

I must look into PID'ing this I think... however controllers cost a fortune over here...

Looks like I'll research somemore and wait 'til my next holiday in the sunshine state....
(unless somebody wants to point out the appropriate 220v PID for me ? [smilie=1:)

dromia
10-15-2009, 07:09 AM
I'd check the thermometer and where it was situated in the pot/melt.

GRid.1569
10-15-2009, 07:19 AM

I just used the clip supplied with the thermo and attached to the edge of the pot (at around 10 o'clock postion) as low as I could about .25 - .5 inch off pot bottom...

dromia
10-15-2009, 07:26 AM
Thanks GRid.1569.

I was actually posing the question to AJ Peacock the original poster, I should have hit the quote button to avoid confusion.

AJ's furnace's performance seems incredibly stable for a pot and especially the Lee.

Yours and Shilohs' results are more what I'd expect especially from a Lee.

crabo
10-15-2009, 07:37 AM
AJ, what kind of a mold were you using? 1 cavity, 2, 4, 6? That can make a huge difference.

AJ Peacock
10-15-2009, 08:40 AM

I have it attached with the clip at around the 4 O'clock position (just next to the pour spout).

AJ

AJ Peacock
10-15-2009, 08:46 AM
AJ, what kind of a mold were you using? 1 cavity, 2, 4, 6? That can make a huge difference.

I was using a 1 cavity 220gr .338 mold (Lee Aluminum).

I'm sure I could change my process and get wild swings (dump 3lbs of spues at a time, let the pot get nearly empty etc.). But I was trying to cast with a process that would keep the temp as stable as possible. I was able to do it and was surprised in the consistency. I'm sure the fact that I didn't drastically lower the melt level (probably only 3-4lbs of lead removed), and keeping the sprue pile small made a huge difference. The setting on my dial was just shy of 8.

I've also been able to get to 950F with this pot, did it by accident when I got busy with other things and had it cranked up to max. I don't know how hot it would go, as I turned it down when I saw that temperature.

AJ

AJ Peacock
10-15-2009, 08:49 AM
Thanks GRid.1569.

I was actually posing the question to AJ Peacock the original poster, I should have hit the quote button to avoid confusion.

AJ's furnace's performance seems incredibly stable for a pot and especially the Lee.

Yours and Shilohs' results are more what I'd expect especially from a Lee.

Dromia,

Do you use a thermometer? Have you tried to keep the temp stable while casting?

AJ

ANeat
10-15-2009, 10:00 AM
The main thing I would worry about is how the bullets turn out. I never had any temp variation problems with the lee pots I used.

If I had to always tinker with the "thermostat" I would look into some other type of controller.

On mine once it was set I dont think I ever had to change it

dromia
10-15-2009, 10:05 AM
Yes I do use a thermometer occasionally, and my pot stays reasonably stable but I use RCBS Pro Melts for bottom pouring rather than the Lee.

Using a single cav like you and not dumping in a lot of cold alloy for top up should keep most pots temp pretty stable.

However when going some with a six holer I need to let the pot catch up sometimes.

The Lee along with its drips was just much more effort to keep stable temps with.

You pays your money and you makes your choice, the Lee isn't a Pro Melt but then its also cheap as chips.

GRid.1569
10-15-2009, 10:51 AM
the Lee isn't a Pro Melt but then its also cheap as chips.

That'll be french fries to most of you....

Hey Dromia...

... have you seen the price of a haggis supper lately...:groner:

Dale53
10-15-2009, 11:21 AM
I bought my RCBS pot before there was a large Lee pot (I think my RCBS was $100.00 wholesale - that's how long it's been). That explains why I don't have a Lee pot.

However, I have encouraged a number of people to buy the Lee 4-20 due to price.

I read an interesting article on the Lee pot. A reviewer was prepared to "slam" the Lee pot (by his own admission). He compared it to one of the "higher priced spreads" and the Lee maintained a temperature far better than it's competition.

Lee does not get reviews very often as they do not buy much advertising in the magazines. That's why you NEVER see a gun writer mention any of their products. They have some really good products at very realistic prices and yet, the gun magazines act as if they don't exist.

Everyone that I have suggested buy the Lee have been very happy with them. Like I said, I don't have any personal experience with the Lee pots but I would certainly consider them if I needed a new pot. You sure cannot beat the price - not even close...

FWIW
Dale53

dromia
10-15-2009, 02:35 PM
That'll be french fries to most of you....

Hey Dromia...

... have you seen the price of a haggis supper lately...:groner:

£2.75 at the estate chippy, mushy peas 50p extra.

Got to go 5 miles to get a battered mars bar though. :D

dromia
10-15-2009, 02:37 PM
BTW I currently spend more time in FEBland at the moment. So its the red and white puddings I miss most.

Be up north for the Hog though.

Where are you at?

dromia
10-15-2009, 02:41 PM
You colonials can correct me if I'm wrong but chips to you is dried manure for fuel.

Or for the more urbane crisps.

GRid.1569
10-15-2009, 02:48 PM
BTW I currently spend more time in FEBland at the moment. So its the red and white puddings I miss most.

Be up north for the Hog though.

Where are you at?

Land o' the bard... Dumfries... there's been many a Burns' Supper had down here...

Some call us Doonhamers "pseudo-English" Huh, the insult....:-x

I'm afriad to ask what FEBland is.... though I could mange a few ideas... :roll:

TAWILDCATT
10-16-2009, 09:44 PM
to those with 110 pots harbor freight has a speed control for $14.95.it is a voltage control like a dimmer switch.it handles 15 amps.I have one got it for Saeco that burned up its thermo switch.works great.just plug cord from pot in to it and its cord in to socket.I am using it on lee pot now.turned pot upall way and control it with controler.

Hardcast416taylor
10-16-2009, 10:33 PM
I actually hate to admit the following. I met up with AJ Peacock for coffee, I bought. He had samples of the molds he is currently casting, a 120 gr. 9mm, a wadcutter .38 and the 220 gr. .338. I asked how long he had been casting as I rolled the boolits around looking for telltale flaws. He replied he had just started! The boolits looked as good as any I turn out, and I`ve been casting 40 years+. This guy has done his homework on casting technique. He also is buying coffee next time we meet up.Robert:shock:

AJ Peacock
10-16-2009, 10:41 PM
I actually hate to admit the following. I met up with AJ Peacock for coffee, I bought. He had samples of the molds he is currently casting, a 120 gr. 9mm, a wadcutter .38 and the 220 gr. .338. I asked how long he had been casting as I rolled the boolits around looking for telltale flaws. He replied he had just started! The boolits looked as good as any I turn out, and I`ve been casting 40 years+. This guy has done his homework on casting technique. He also is buying coffee next time we meet up.Robert:shock:

Thanks Bob, You also bought breakfast, thanks again.

AJ

Echo
10-16-2009, 11:43 PM

SHiloh

Which is why I pop my sprues back in as I cut them. They are still hot, and the mass is fairly low, so there is little effect on the melt.

geargnasher
10-17-2009, 12:28 AM
AJ, I've been watching that PID thread, too!

FWIW, my Lee pro 4-20 (110 volt) usually struggles to keep up temp when brimming and overheats below 1/3, but that is to be expected. I cast between those levels, throwing back sprues every 10-20 pours or so, fluxing and stirring every other time I throw them back, sometimes adding an ingot with the sprues and taking a 5-minute potty/drink/snack/hand stretch break so it can heat up well again. If I do this the temp is stable to within 10* during casting. I'm very happy with my Lee for the "chips" I spent on it, and I didn't expect it to work very well either when I bought it, glad to hear someone else's is working as well too, but I can't justify building the pid toy now, either:cry:

Gear

lathesmith
10-17-2009, 09:34 AM
As I cast, I'd occasionally drop the sprue's back into the pot. I made sure to drop the sprue's when the temp was up around 825F and this would drop the temp a degree or two (depending on how may sprue's I dropped in) When I was done, the pot was only 1/2 full but the temp was still holding steady.

AJ, as you have discovered, with a single- or even a double-cavity mold, the Lee 20lb pot doesn't really need any help in maintaining a reasonably stable casting temp. This can even sometimes be enhanced by covering the pot with a simple piece of aluminum foil...

However, as you point out, after an hour, the pot is still half-full; single- and double- cavity molds don't empty those 20lb pots very fast. With a 4- or especially 6- holer, the picture changes dramatically-- I can easily drain a full 20lb pot in less than 1/2 hour with any of my 45 caliber 6-bangers, and even my 358's aren't far behind. I have to constantly adjust my pot's temp control down as I am casting, and sometimes will cool my mold for a few seconds in front of a fan between pours to help regulate temperature.

Thanks for posting your experieces, I appreciate it. All this talk about PID's and thermometers has got me thinking about applying a little more of the scientific method to my casting, I need to get a good thermometer and see what's really going on, and then go from there. I'm sure I could benefit from a good PID setup, and it would reduce some of the temperature-fiddling that I have to do now. It's kinda like the tachometer that I put on my lathe--it's not really necessary to do good work, but it definitely improves consistency and repeatability of the finished product, which makes life easier all around.
lathesmith

mpmarty
10-27-2009, 01:55 PM
I've got both the LEE pro 20-4 and a Lyman bottom pour. I keep a thermometer in the pot and while the Lyman varies up and down as the 'stat goes on and off I have to keep nudging the LEE dial to maintain even temps. I use the LEE more as the Lyman is an old ten pounder and I run six hole molds almost exclusively.

techlava
10-27-2009, 03:34 PM
Which is why I pop my sprues back in as I cut them. They are still hot, and the mass is fairly low, so there is little effect on the melt.

It sure make less of a mess as well.

Using the ventilation fan to cool the mold to speed up cycling is "cool" also.