PDA

View Full Version : New Lube/Sizer

jdgabbard
10-13-2009, 07:00 PM
So my new Lyman 4500 came in yesterday. Got it set up last night. And today melted down some of my Old NRA Lube (beeswax, parafin, carnuba, and petro jelly) and poured it in the resevoir. Its a VERY soft lube. Well, I got after some boolits that needed the grooves filled, and I immediately noticed that my boolits were getting a little bit of a black grease (i assume) in the grooves. Looks to the remains of something Lyman put in there for storage. Its not a lot, but my boolits don't look purty. And that upsets me.

So the question is, how long does it usually take to get that gunk out of their? A couple sticks worth? Or more?

:killingpc

jhrosier
10-13-2009, 07:40 PM

So the question is, how long does it usually take to get that gunk out of their? A couple sticks worth? Or more?

I switched from the old black Lyman lube to 2500+, then to Carnaube Red.
That was a half dozen sticks ago and I'm still getting a bit of black lube mixed with the Carnauba Red. I suppose that it doesn't hurt anything, looks odd though.

Jack

fredj338
10-13-2009, 07:56 PM
I think that is packing grease. It will probably linger for at least one or maybe two sticks. Pouring hot lube into the chamber probably helps to get it out sooner than adding sticks of harder lube.

mtgrs737
10-13-2009, 08:00 PM
Yep it takes a while to get it all out, I even tried to clean it all out before putting the new in and some still is in the deep pockets and works it's way out later. The only way I know to get most all of it out is to boil the unit in water and maybe you will get most of it out. Most likely what you are seeing is manufacturing grease that will not hurt the boolits. I have removed the lube from a batch of boolits once by putting them in boiling water, the lube floats to the top and you can skim it off.

jdgabbard
10-14-2009, 09:00 AM
Ok, well I guess that I'm just going to have to put up with ugly lubed boolits for a while then.

GabbyM
10-14-2009, 09:34 AM
You'll cover those lube groves when you load them. but if it bugs you. You could remove the die then run the pressure screw down to push all the lube out. remelt the lube then run it back through. By then it should be rinsed out. Packing oil should just blend in with the lube and any metal (cast iron dust) should settle to the bottom of the jar you melt the lube in.

That's about how I go about changing lube type also. After putting in a different color stick I'll size bullets until the lube rainbows then remove die and push it all through. Then just melt it all together and poor back in. Even then I only bother if their's a heat adjustment issue. Like soft lube wanting to melt out when the harder part is still not pumping. If the thing is making bullets I'll just run it.

That green grease Lyman packs their size dies in will goop up your lube also. It wipes off easily if you remember to do it with a new die.

markinalpine
10-14-2009, 03:27 PM
[smilie=s:
Ok, well I guess that I'm just going to have to put up with ugly lubed boolits for a while then.

I bet they'll still shoot just fine. :Fire:

Mark :coffeecom

wallenba
10-14-2009, 11:15 PM
Yeah its from the packing. Mine is fairly new too, and I still get it in the first half dozen or so each session, then it clears up til the next time.

snowwolfe
10-15-2009, 06:40 PM
How do you like your new Lyman?

jdgabbard
10-19-2009, 12:59 PM
I like it! It is working out well for me, the only thing I don't care for is that some of the top punches don't fit the boolits they say they will. Like the 429 top punch DOES NOT fit my copy of the 358477. So that makes me a bit unhappy. But I'll eventually just get a flat top punch and be done with it.

mpmarty
10-19-2009, 01:19 PM
JD take any top punch and fill it with JB Weld and set a boolit into it with a bit of LLA on the boolit. When the JB hardens you'll have a perfect top punch for that boolit.

HORNET
10-20-2009, 01:41 PM
As many random design changes as Lyman has had on any mold they've produced for over 3 years, I'm surprised that ANY top punches fit.

cajun shooter
10-20-2009, 08:59 PM
Just don't let the boolit fashion police see them. You could be given 30 lashes with a wet noodle.

lake anna man
10-20-2009, 10:06 PM
I am brand new to reloading. Over the weekend, I made up 3,000 cast bullets using a .358, 158 gr RN, 6 die mold. I am going to run them through my Lyman 4500 sizer. Do I use a .357 sizing die or a .358? I am confused.

I shoot a S&W 627 .357 mag.

Springfield
10-20-2009, 10:40 PM
Depends on the gun but if you aren't running maximum loads the .358 is a better bet.