PDA

View Full Version : your most P.I.T.A. boolit to cast/load?

troy_mclure
10-13-2009, 06:11 PM
whats the boolit that causes you the most problems? the biggest P.I.T.A.?

jdgabbard
10-13-2009, 06:50 PM
Lyman 358242 92g RN. Its tiny. I can only imagine what the guys that load 32acp and 25 acp have to deal with...

Maven
10-13-2009, 06:53 PM
Without a doubt, the group buy Lee 30-150TL-PB. Although the boolits don't stick in the mold, there are a fair amount of rejects. Loading is mildly challenging until you learn that seating them "long" so as to get a good deal of land engagement results in a wobbly CB, mostly because of the CB design (normal nose followed by TL grooves followed by a large lube groove a la #358429 or #429421). Seating them to 3.11" OAL gves enough engagement, no wobbles, and good accuracy.

Bret4207
10-13-2009, 07:29 PM
LBT 6.5-90. Try getting those blocks hot enough to throw a good boolit!

I also have an issue with that mould Maven mentions. Mine is finding a way to seat them. They drop .314 and I just don't have a die that will work.

Leftoverdj
10-13-2009, 09:07 PM
A Lyman .41 HBWC. Hard to get the skirts to fill out and when I work fast enough to keep the pin hot, many of the skirts bend,

10-13-2009, 09:38 PM
If it is that you can fire up the pot, start casting nice shiny fully filled-out bullets from the get go BUT have to reject all of them because the blocks are at least .015" out of alignment then it would have to be the only Lee mold I have. Bought it new but hey no matter it sure was cheap.

John Boy
10-13-2009, 10:01 PM
Double cavity Modified Gunn 459 - 540gr

Calamity Jake
10-14-2009, 08:58 AM
Any and All aluminum molds that I own give me fits for fill out no mater how hot or what casting technic.

JeffinNZ
10-14-2009, 05:27 PM
why does anyone persist with a troublesome bullet/load????

MT Gianni
10-14-2009, 07:54 PM
3589 and 311440 are ones I have to be careful sizing so I don't bend them or ruin the noses. No problems loading and shooting them.

mpmarty
10-14-2009, 08:07 PM
lee 170gr .401 TL six banger mold. They cast ok, fall out of the mold easily and are fairly easy to seat and crimp. On good days they shoot great, on bad days they keyhole at 10 yards and they were all cast from the same alloy on the same day and loaded with the same powder and shot in the same pistol. Pistol is always clean in the beginning of use. I've still got about three hundred of the darn things loaded and laying in an ammo can. I've been shooting nosler bulk 135gr JHPs in the 10mm for matches lately and just plan on plinking the junk away over time. I may even go back to using one of my 45acp pistols in matches as I can seem to cast, load and shoot those without having to pack a necklace of rabbits feet around my neck.:lol:

technetium-99m
10-14-2009, 10:51 PM
lee 170gr .401 TL six banger mold. They cast ok, fall out of the mold easily and are fairly easy to seat and crimp. On good days they shoot great, on bad days they keyhole at 10 yards and they were all cast from the same alloy on the same day and loaded with the same powder and shot in the same pistol. Pistol is always clean in the beginning of use. I've still got about three hundred of the darn things loaded and laying in an ammo can. I've been shooting nosler bulk 135gr JHPs in the 10mm for matches lately and just plan on plinking the junk away over time. I may even go back to using one of my 45acp pistols in matches as I can seem to cast, load and shoot those without having to pack a necklace of rabbits feet around my neck.:lol:

What are you shooting these in? I love em for my Limited division 2011. Fantastic bullet for my needs.

stubshaft
10-14-2009, 11:08 PM
I don't think that I have been blessed with great moulds. The thing that keeps me going is trying different temperatures and alloys to find the magical combination that casts good boolits. The constant experimentation is (to me) what boolit casting is all about. The ability to make a boolit that equals or exceeds the performance of J-word boolits is what I strive for. Not to mention the savings I enjoy by making my own.

Yes, there are some trying designs out there. Remember the Lyman 7mm bore rider that you had to size in 2 seperate operations (the nose and the bases were different diameters)? When I shot Unlimited International sillywett these were the most trying to get to shoot well.

mpmarty
10-15-2009, 01:42 AM
What are you shooting these in? I love em for my Limited division 2011. Fantastic bullet for my needs.
I've got three pistols in 10mm all Tanfoglios, one elite match, one full size all steel and one all steel compact. All of them seem to love/hate this boolit equally.

I mike these at .4015 - .402 and they are plenty hard for the load which is five grains of Red Dot. They are all heavily coated with undiluted LLA and tumbled in motor mica to stop the stickies.

Southern Son
10-15-2009, 04:55 AM
Lee .310 Matini Cadet Boolit. When the mould is hot enough to fill out well, the base of both boolits gets a fin of Biblical proportions. To use them I have to trim them with a modeling knife. When they are trimmed, they are still way too small to use in the rifle. PITA don' quite cover that one.

Shuz
10-15-2009, 02:20 PM
The boolits that give me problems don't stay around long. I let others enjoy them.

JeffinNZ
10-15-2009, 05:16 PM
The boolits that give me problems don't stay around long. I let others enjoy them.

EXACTLY. Life is too short to stand over a hot pot of lead cussing.

Mk42gunner
10-15-2009, 05:31 PM
An old single cavity Ideal 313445, a 95 grain SWC that must be pressure fed from a bottom pour spout. If I presssure feed it from a 20lb Lee pot it produces about99% keepers; if I don't hold the mould tight to the spout it goes down to about 75%.

I have tried just about every way with various ladles (RCBS and an ancient bottom pour ladle that holds about three pounds) with no joy.

This boolit is supposed to be good for 32 S&W Long, but doesn't do well with my 32 mag; it does okay from my 7.62x39 Mini-Mauser.

Robert

Humbo
10-15-2009, 07:33 PM
Lyman Devastator in .44 magnum. Good fillout wasn't a big problem, until I discovered that almost every bullet had voids inside the hollow cavity. Does anyone have any casting tips for these molds?

BarryinIN
10-17-2009, 03:20 PM
Lyman 429303.
The deep lube grooves of bullet and the corresponding shape of the mould cavities mesh together like interlocked fingers and it's hard to get the bullet to let go and fall out. Just opening the mould is harder than other moulds.
My sessions with it don't last long. I've used it three times and doubt I have 50 bullets total.