PDA

View Full Version : Language revisted

45 2.1
10-13-2009, 03:01 PM
Waksupi wrote in another thread:
100% with Ken. It seems I spend most of my time editing language here, and usually by repeat offenders. I personally would like to see infractions given, and once you have the winning amount, you get a free vacation.

Since you have the power here to do basically what you want, you need to remember where you came from and why. In the process of judging others, changing what they wrote and locking threads, you might become Der Colonel himself, that what you hated in the first place. Give it some thought because some of what we see reflects that.

Rocky Raab
10-13-2009, 03:11 PM
Cheese, what a party fecal matter-er.

(Sorry; as a non-offender in this issue, I have to inject a little humor. When you get to spelling and grammar violations, though, I'm your huckleberry!)

45nut
10-13-2009, 04:58 PM
It seems only adults with a full, almost limitless vocabulary are those edited and warned.

I fully wish there was no need to ask for editing, and there shouldn't be. However the staff does have to now and then, regrettably so.

I am of the opinion myself self moderation is easy, and the need to express oneself can be fulfilled within the parameters here. Other forums can set their own and you can certainly utilize the full width and breadth of any vocabulary that is common there.

I have not and will not be der colonel and my staff reflects that per my wishes, but as humans we too slip up. Forgiveness is simple for occasional slips, intent is what drives us to act forcefully. Push and anyone will push back.

I ask nicely for a common and simple respect of this board standards.

gon2shoot
10-13-2009, 05:16 PM
I won't speak for all the MODS only myself.

I am very impressed with the amount of experience and knowledge on this board (yall have helped me understand a lot of things) , and am gratefull that it's available on the web. With the government insecurities, component prices etc. many more folks are looking to casting and reloading.

Fact is, we have a ton of folks here who are not "hunting camp" boys. We also have people who would love to ban every aspect of our hobby.

While I am no alter boy myself, I hope people remember that that wives and grandaughters read this board also.

Opinions are fine, different ideas are what lead to new discoveries, I would hope that the members of this forum are adult enough to allow different viewpoints without stirring the pot.

Saddly I have seen good discusions turn into hissing contest. Who does that benefit?
Do we come here to enjoy the company of like minded individuals and trade ideas, or to force our thinking on others?

Sorry for the rant, but, But there is way too much good here to have it scuttled by egos. :redneck:

No_1
10-13-2009, 05:57 PM
I know we are all capable of cussing like a drunken sailor on payday and I know we are all capable of posting our thoughts without using those same words. The beauty of posting something is we can read then re-read it before we hit the submit button. When I get ready to post something, I consider that my mom or daughter could be reading it and adjust it as needed.
As far as changing what people wrote: You will notice lately that pretty much all we do is replace the offending word with this -->(edit) and let it ride.
R.

Echo
10-13-2009, 06:26 PM
Good on ya, men. Washington had something to say about "...the foolish and wicked practice of profane cursing and swearing..." or words to that effect. But - the word C__p is a contraction of the name of a plumber in Old Blighty who produced some of the first full-siphon toilets, which is why some call them the C___per. Just a little history...

iron mule
10-13-2009, 07:51 PM
hey fellas i think you are ding fine and i have no problem with this/// in fact my son who is 12 is getting very intrested in reloading and casting, he has been shooting since he was 6 mostly cowboy action and with me here around the farm and hunting/// but back to the point one way that i am using to educate him in these areas is that when he has a question we will look it up and this is the frist site we go to do that // for i have found that there is a lot of good info here placed by the members that use it/// now for the better part as a side effect from him looking for answers here i have found that it is improving his school work also so looks like i'm geting two for one from this// and i would hate for him to pick up some bad habits or words from here i know he will be exposed to some bad things sooner or later from just general life but i would feel better if it did not come from my shooting buddies here // so far so good and i also have learned a few things to help from here ========every one you all kkep up the good work and thanks
mule

JSnover
10-13-2009, 09:26 PM
The fact is, anybody can read what we post here; kids, spouses, potential new members. Why not try to earn their respect?

10-13-2009, 09:49 PM
I think it's just a matter of being civil, polite, and courteous. We don't know who else is reading our posts and whether or not they may be offended by our language and tone. We all know how an e-mail and Internet message can become misinterpreted, no sense in deliberatly making matters worse.

fatnhappy
10-14-2009, 12:29 AM
balls

happy7
10-14-2009, 01:10 AM
I would like to express my appreication to the moderators for keeping this site clean and postive. I think they strike a nice balance. I think 45nut shows a lot of wisdom in his decisions, at least the ones I have been aware of. I like to come here to relax and learn and and have spent many informative and enjoyable hours on this site. Thanks for all you do.

dromia
10-14-2009, 04:37 AM
I do enjoy a good swear and am pretty good at it as well, I could foul mouth for Britain.

However there is a time and a place for it and that place is not here.

As has been said we are an open forum and our standards and values are bare to the world here.

We all need to buy into this, maintain the standards set and have pride in our site.

If individuals don't like this then there are plenty of other sites that could cater for their ways.

evan price
10-14-2009, 05:27 AM
It may be that the language censor in the software is tuned a little too high- I notice that when anyone talks about going to buy some S.C.R.A.P. metal it edits out the letters C.R.A.P.
and it looks terrible..

Just FYI, this IS overkill and silly.

A few threads to consider:
"What is the composition of range s****?"
"I saw this lead at the s****yard"
"Any use for s**** lead foil?"

archmaker
10-14-2009, 05:50 AM
I believe the Mods do a great job here!

I always remember something I once read/or heard.

Adult language is bold, to the point, and requires one to be ready to digest it, and to discuss terms in that manner, and if you have to revert to profanity then you are not using Adult language.

So anytime I see anybody using profanity in a post, their credibility goes down.

gnoahhh
10-14-2009, 07:49 AM
While we're on the subject, can software be introduced to clean up the grammar and spelling of a (small) number of postings? Only kidding, but sometimes that too is a cause of anguish as much as profane language and is an impediment to effective communication. If one strives to clean up one's language should that not also include improving one's standards concerning grammar and spelling? (No, I'm not an English teacher, and in fact cut as many English classes as I could get away with. I do love language and the written word as much as I love the shooting hobbies.)

45 2.1
10-14-2009, 08:18 AM
+1 on that. Please add a spell check on the tool bar.

Rocky Raab
10-14-2009, 08:31 AM
Poor grammar, spelling and punctuation make me grind my teeth. But a spell checker won't help the majority of misuse I see. When people don't know the difference between their, there and they're; or between your and you're; or to, too and two, no spell checker can help them. I won't even mention the abomination of this "texting" um...stuff (almost used the "c-word" there, but it would have been justified).

This attitude of "close enough" regarding language is merely an excuse for abysmal ignorance.

wiljen
10-14-2009, 08:33 AM
+1 on that. Please add a spell check on the tool bar.

Spell checks for IE and Firefox are readily available. I use one that corrects spelling as you type in Firefox. I suggest you Google spell check for IE or Firefox if you are interested in such.

gnoahhh
10-14-2009, 08:44 AM
Here's another one Rocky: "site" for "sight" .

Rocky Raab
10-14-2009, 08:48 AM
gnoahhh, there are FAR too many examples to list them all, but that is certainly one of them.

BABore
10-14-2009, 09:46 AM
I just tried to pay attention in grammar school, and then apply what I learned.

Of course, I'm still young enough to remember grammar school.:bigsmyl2:

jgt
10-14-2009, 09:54 AM
My father was a cusser. When I returned from the service I could cuss with the best of them. I made a pact with myself to find a way to express myself without cussing and to do it in a manner so no one noticed. Now I understand how nerve racking it was to those around me who were exposed to it. Thank you for considering it important, and thank you to all who refrain from it.

atr
10-14-2009, 10:01 AM
I treat this site as a place for discussion and information exchange, not a place for swearing.
thanks again for a great site !

theperfessor
10-14-2009, 10:07 AM
I am reminded of a comment made by a member of a garden club to Teddy Roosevelt's wife after hearing Teddy address the group and use the word "manure" several times. She urged Mrs. Roosevelt to get him to use the word "fertilizer" instead of "manure" because it sounded vulgar.

Her reply was that it had taken her a long time just to get him to use the word "manure"!

gasboffer
10-14-2009, 10:08 AM
Most of the stuff mentioned irritates me, some of it a lot! Isn't there a button somewhere that enables you to "ignore" the poster?
Clyde

BruceB
10-14-2009, 10:40 AM
Rocky, AMEN.

As one who appreciates (and tries to use) proper English, I find your comments to be right on the mark.

Now....does anyone want to hazard a guess as to how long it'll be, before the first accusation of "SPELLING/GRAMMAR NAZIS" is lofted toward those of us who actually care about communicating clearly and correctly?

This is as predictable as night following day, and it's the knee-jerk reaction of the unimaginative types who either won't or can't handle the language correctly. Some folks may have perfectly-valid reasons, but the majority....?

qajaq59
10-14-2009, 10:42 AM
Most of the stuff mentioned irritates me, some of it a lot! Isn't there a button somewhere that enables you to "ignore" the poster?
Clyde Yup.... I think it is in with your options in the Control Panel (CP).

felix
10-14-2009, 10:56 AM
Then|Than; Where-it's-at|Where-it-is. Perhaps the worst of all is using the Lord's Name directly, or by reference in any form or fashion, such as OMG, when used in an emphatic statement. ... felix

45nut
10-14-2009, 11:26 AM
It may be that the language censor in the software is tuned a little too high- I notice that when anyone talks about going to buy some S.C.R.A.P. metal it edits out the letters C.R.A.P.
and it looks terrible..

Just FYI, this IS overkill and silly.

A few threads to consider:
"What is the composition of range s****?"
"I saw this lead at the s****yard"
"Any use for s**** lead foil?"

that should be fixed now,, an adjustment of the filter was needed. an oversight that clarified the unintended consequences of needing a filter in the first place.

bishopgrandpa
10-14-2009, 11:52 AM
Do you remember comedians such as Red Skelton and Abbott & Costello? Clean articulate and funny. Now most comedians have to use a constant flow of profanities to be funny. Do they think this language has to be used to be understood? Isn't this an arrogant insult to suppose I can understand only if profanities are used? We love good books by professional hunters. Do they have to express themselves that way? Of course not and on this forum we try to emulate them, their experiences and pass on a knowledge of the sport. My 2 cents. Bishopgrandpa

qajaq59
10-14-2009, 12:06 PM
The rules on cussng are so simple that I can't see why they wouldn't be followed.
But I can live with the spelling and grammar mistakes. The forum is very informal and I wouldn't expect it to look like a thesis paper in college.

Wayne Smith
10-14-2009, 12:30 PM
There may be a few appropriate places for scatalogical language, but they are few and far between and probably never occur in public. This is a public forum and we need to remember that in our posts. I don't enjoy the use of these terms and don't expect others to do so, either. The appropriate use of the English language is important in the accurate transmission of meaning, and if we don't do that effectively why post?

Does the filter now allow the correct descriptor for a b*stard file?

Bad Water Bill
10-14-2009, 12:35 PM
After going to the catholic school that BLACK PATENT LEATHER SHOES was written about I remember Sister Mary Edwards saying " Instead of using a swear word substitute the word LIGHTBULB to see how silly a swear word is ". Don't get me wrong I have been that drunken sailor etc. There have been at least 2 times in my life I have used PROFANE language and saved someones life so I think there may be a time for that language BUT I have always kept it away from all who might be harmed by such words except those 2 times. No that language is not needed here. As far as spelling,grammar and punctuation go many of us have over 50 years since we were in school and many things have changed or been forgotten. On spelling CATALOGUE would get me a 100 on the test when I went to school. I think some people should be happy with the words of WISDOM dispensed here and not worry if the spelling , or something else is incorrect. I think the MODERATORS are doing a great job even tho most do not realize how much time they spend with never any compensation or THANK YOU.

theperfessor
10-14-2009, 12:37 PM
I think it is an unwarranted assumption that OMG includes a reference to any deity of any flavor. It could just as easily mean Oh My Gosh.

Even though I am a teacher, I learn to ignore misspellings and poor grammar on this site. It grates a little, but it's not my job to point out other people's errors. I try to know where my job stops and my recreation begins. Besides, we have a number of members from all over the world who participate on this forum and to whom English is a second or third language. Let's not discourage them.

I do wish that people would learn the difference between "sprue" and "spruce" however.

Bullshop
10-14-2009, 12:38 PM
Guilty here!!!!!
I wonder what Elmers writing looked like before Lorain corrected it for him.
Maybe one of the issues with having to be correct is consern over how others percieve you. Personally I dont have any such conserns, I am what I am. My single consern with how folks perceice me is that I not become a stumbling block to thier walk with God.
If I thought it were so I would make greater effort. I have not been so cinvicted yet.
Another issue is time. Our dial up systam here is very slow. If I were to use the available systams to correct my spelling and grammer I would have a greater time investment in the content of my offerings to the board. To me it seems not worth the extra time investment since the content is the same.
I was told by a member that no one takes me seriously because of my terrible spelling and grammer. Thats too bad really because I think many can benifit from my experiance.
With my carrear as a timber faller I have been blessed to have lived my life in places others will never know of and with the freedoms that can only come from being away from the crowds. My lack of education there has made no differance either. I can read my Bible and that is the only realy important thing in anyones life.
The spiritual has always been but the phisical is but a fleeting vapor. One day the phisicle will be no more, only the spiritual so which is more important? God dont care if I cant spell, he judges the motive of the heart.
Blessings
BIC/BS

carpetman
10-14-2009, 12:42 PM
A place called Boolits is worried about spelling????

Bad Water Bill
10-14-2009, 12:44 PM
Does the filter now allow the correct descriptor for a b*stard file?

Wayne you are bad:):):)

Bad Water Bill
10-14-2009, 01:02 PM
Carpetman I think you hit the nail on the head.

Bullshop Do NOT ever change. To me at least, wisdom can come from an old cousin that never went to a school as there were none available when he was a kid or from our Professors :-? here. By the way my cousin still logged till he was 85 in 1967 and I got his Savage 99 take down in 22 Hi Power with a silver dime replacing the front sight. Great memories.

Dutch4122
10-14-2009, 01:05 PM

Good one![smilie=l:

S.R.Custom
10-14-2009, 01:10 PM
....I remember Sister Mary Edwards saying " Instead of using a swear word substitute the word LIGHTBULB to see how silly a swear word is "....

Yes... I recall that same parochial logic from my own childhood. And I can recall pointing out that no, substituting "lightbulb" for profanity does not illustrate how silly profanity is, but rather, how silly using a lightweight word is when the context clearly demands a saucy and forcefully uttered epithet...

That said, I still get a junior-high style chuckle whenever someone refers to the bench rest crowd as a bunch of "stool shooters."

felix
10-14-2009, 01:15 PM
Or a stoolie. Been there, done that, and always said to myself: "Well, what do|did you expect!" when my hunter friends, and especially my dad, made a reference. ... felix

qajaq59
10-14-2009, 01:18 PM

Boy, that certainly summed it up. That's FUNNY!!!!!

454PB
10-14-2009, 02:25 PM
There are several frequent posters on the forum that regularly butcher grammer, spelling, and punctuation, and yet I read everything they post. I learned long ago that someone that is not proficient at composition may have a huge amount of knowledge and experience to share.

Three-Fifty-Seven
10-14-2009, 02:48 PM
Guilty here!!!!!
I wonder what Elmers writing looked like before Lorain corrected it for him.
Maybe one of the issues with having to be correct is consern over how others percieve you. Personally I dont have any such conserns, I am what I am. My single consern with how folks perceice me is that I not become a stumbling block to thier walk with God.
If I thought it were so I would make greater effort. I have not been so cinvicted yet.
Another issue is time. Our dial up systam here is very slow. If I were to use the available systams to correct my spelling and grammer I would have a greater time investment in the content of my offerings to the board. To me it seems not worth the extra time investment since the content is the same.
I was told by a member that no one takes me seriously because of my terrible spelling and grammer. Thats too bad really because I think many can benifit from my experiance.
With my carrear as a timber faller I have been blessed to have lived my life in places others will never know of and with the freedoms that can only come from being away from the crowds. My lack of education there has made no differance either. I can read my Bible and that is the only realy important thing in anyones life.
The spiritual has always been but the phisical is but a fleeting vapor. One day the phisicle will be no more, only the spiritual so which is more important? God dont care if I cant spell, he judges the motive of the heart.
Blessings
BIC/BS

AMEN +1

And I can still read what you write anyhow! Keep at it Dan!

[smilie=s:

Dean D.
10-14-2009, 02:54 PM
I just wanted to add my .02 to this thread.

I support Ken and the Mod's stand on editing out profanity here. This community is a fantastic resource for anyone wishing to learn more about our hobby. No one gains from the use of profanity in any way but many lose from its use.

Our society is quickly becoming uncivilized. It seems people do not consider others when they express themselves. They seem to have the attitude that they can say anything they wish and to heck with what anyone else thinks. We need a bit less of that attitude and a bit more good old common courtesy...if anyone can remember what that is now days.

Cast Boolits is the BEST site on the web concerning our hobby, bar none. Lets keep it that way!

oneokie
10-14-2009, 03:18 PM
Rocky Raab
Boolit Master

Posts: 440 Poor grammar, spelling and punctuation make me grind my teeth. But a spell checker won't help the majority of misuse I see. When people don't know the difference between their, there and they're; or between your and you're; or to, too and two, no spell checker can help them. I won't even mention the abomination of this "texting" um...stuff (almost used the "c-word" there, but it would have been justified).

This attitude of "close enough" regarding language is merely an excuse for abysmal ignorance.

The word you are looking for is "ebonics"

Rocky, AMEN.

As one who appreciates (and tries to use) proper English, I find your comments to be right on the mark.

Now....does anyone want to hazard a guess as to how long it'll be, before the first accusation of "SPELLING/GRAMMAR NAZIS" is lofted toward those of us who actually care about communicating clearly and correctly?

This is as predictable as night following day, and it's the knee-jerk reaction of the unimaginative types who either won't or can't handle the language correctly. Some folks may have perfectly-valid reasons, but the majority....?

There is one place at Cast Boolits where the "spelling nazi's" ply their trade. Chat.

Two of our youngest members are semi regulars there. One of these young members Mother asked that we correct her childs spelling. That members spelling has improved greatly.

The other youngster was prone to using ebonics. That has changed for the better also.

Adding my 2¢, Schools now do not, will not, take the time to teach proper communication because all their energy is directed to making sure their students are able to pass the achievement tests that determine how much Federal and State Aid they receive.

happy7
10-14-2009, 03:24 PM
There are several frequent posters on the forum that regularly butcher grammer, spelling, and punctuation, and yet I read everything they post. I learned long ago that someone that is not proficient at composition may have a huge amount of knowledge and experience to share.

I will second this. Bullshop, for one. I sure would hate for some of them to not post due to concern over their spelling. I always appreciate your contributions, Dan.

qajaq59
10-14-2009, 04:07 PM
Considering that 41% of the US population is considered to be functionally illterate, maybe it is time to speak to a few of the teachers. Or better yet, the school boards!

However, I seriously doubt you'll find an answer to the problem in a cast bullet forum.

alamogunr
10-14-2009, 04:32 PM
I, for one, hope we can keep the saltier language out of this forum. It accomplishes nothing. As for spelling and grammar, as long as I can understand the meaning of the thought being expressed, these don't worry me. I guess I got used to poor spelling and grammar while working. As a manufacturing engineer, I worked in close contact with other mfg engineers and design engineers. All were at least BS level or above. They couldn't spell or use the correct form of a word either. For example; using the word "phase" when "faze" was the correct usage. Admittedly this is an obscure example and somewhat understandable for electrical engineers. I never tried to correct them because I see the same error in the newspapers, magazines and in articles on the web. Those who consider themselves wordsmiths are somewhat unskilled in the English language too.

By the way, if you misspell a word and it is underlined in red, simply set your curser(doesn't work on this word. should be cursor) at the end of the underlined word and right click your mouse. You should get some suggestions. Also, it won't help if a word is spelled correctly but is the wrong word in context. I just typed "work" instead of "word" and only noticed it when proofing.

Sorry for the long post. I got carried away.

John
W.TN

montana_charlie
10-14-2009, 06:17 PM
I won't even mention the abomination of this "texting" um...stuff.The word you are looking for is "ebonics"
'Texting talk' is not ebonics.

The term Ebonics (a blend of ebony and phonics) gained recognition in 1996 as a result of the Oakland School Board’s use of the term in its proposal to use African American English in teaching Standard English in the Oakland Schools.

waksupi
10-14-2009, 06:43 PM
T

There is one place at Cast Boolits where the "spelling nazi's" ply their trade. Chat.

Two of our youngest members are semi regulars there. One of these young members Mother asked that we correct her childs spelling. That members spelling has improved greatly.

The other youngster was prone to using ebonics. That has changed for the better also.

Nolan, I must point out in full disclosure, that in chat I am the bad example, and very seldom type any thing that is legible. Any correct spelling I do, is simply by chance.

oldhickory
10-14-2009, 07:06 PM
Nolan, I must point out in full disclosure, that in chat I am the bad example, and very seldom type any thing that is legible. Any correct spelling I do, is simply by chance.

waksupi, I've been to forums that have a little spell check thingy up where the little symbols are, (as I type this). Do we have such an animal? If so, I can't find it. Some of my correct spelling is purly by chance also.:groner:

Rocky Raab
10-14-2009, 07:15 PM
The problem, of course, is that unless the language is used properly, what the writer intends to say and what the reader perceives can not only be different but opposite.

In a hobby where people insist on precision of measurement down to a tenth of a grain and a ten-thousandth of an inch, it amazes me that gross imprecision of language is tolerated. What sad irony.

HORNET
10-14-2009, 07:20 PM
I get automatic spell-checking if I come in through Firefox, Internet Explorer 7 doesn't seem to have that ability that I can find. I don't know about IE-8.
Bullshop, don't worry much about the spelling and grammer, I've seen lots worse in engineering documents. We're used to you and the content usually makes up for it.
Qujaq59, The states of Indiana and Michigan keep having this radical suggestion pop up that maybe teachers should be able to pass tests and show that they have some knowledge of the subjects that they teach. The NEA (motto: Never Educate Anyone) keeps going ballistic and threatening strikes and walkouts and insists that it is more important that the teachers know the latest theories on how to teach. I don't believe that they think their members know the subject matter...any of it.

waksupi
10-14-2009, 07:50 PM
waksupi, I've been to forums that have a little spell check thingy up where the little symbols are, (as I type this). Do we have such an animal? If so, I can't find it. Some of my correct spelling is purly by chance also.:groner:

Like others, I depend on Firefox to "help" me out here on the forum. You might want to try their browser, as it is more stable than the Microsoft mess.

Wiljen just gave me this link in the chat. Try this out.

http://8help.osu.edu/2143.html

oneokie
10-14-2009, 08:03 PM

Ric, you let the cat out of the bag........

I, for one, find your spelling in chat educational (just how bad the English language can be butchered, and still be understandable) and entertaining.

You are a Master.

waco
10-14-2009, 08:58 PM
maybe i haven't seen to many of these posts that were misspelled THAT bad.
is it really that big of a problem?
i don't type, EVER, unless it is on this site.
it is easy to use text talk or shorthand if you will.
to beat someone up over it seems a little silly.
just my opinion

OOPS!
forgot to use capital letters.........lol

alamogunr
10-15-2009, 08:45 PM
I get automatic spell-checking if I come in through Firefox, Internet Explorer 7 doesn't seem to have that ability that I can find. I don't know about IE-8.

Does this automatic spell-check work like I described in my earlier post? I use Firefox exclusively and have no idea how other browsers work. I thought the spell-check was part of this site.

John
W.TN

pmeisel
10-15-2009, 09:35 PM
My pet peeve is people with pet peeves.... and people who use circular logic.

TCFAN
10-15-2009, 10:39 PM
The problem, of course, is that unless the language is used properly, what the writer intends to say and what the reader perceives can not only be different but opposite.

In a hobby where people insist on precision of measurement down to a tenth of a grain and a ten-thousandth of an inch, it amazes me that gross imprecision of language is tolerated. What sad irony.

This is the very reason that I don't post any more than I do.Been casting for 40 plus years but I find it very hard to put my thoughts into words let alone spell them the right way..........................Terry

Bad Water Bill
10-16-2009, 12:13 AM
TCFAN
As my mother used to say " consider the source then ignore them ". Most of us are here to share information and HELP others with their problems. We have members here that have less than 8 years of class room training up to many years more in SCHOOLS. There are many of us who have 60-70-80 years at the school of hard knocks. There are some like Junior who like to stir the pot and hide to watch the fun that follows.Yes I do enjoy Junior's posts and hope he never stops even tho I may not agree with him all the time. As you have seen in your life there are always those few who MUST show how much their parents paid for their education,cars,books etc. They are the ones who have nothing to do with their lives but to show the world how strong,wealthy brilliant etc they are. Life is to short to worry about this type of lost soul. Keep posting and sharing your PHD in casting and helping those just starting out who are smart enough to ask for help without criticizing because yours or my typeing,spulling or grammer is less than 100% perfect

leadman
10-16-2009, 01:04 AM
The typing and grammar error are something I am quilty of even though I try to use the language correctly. I was always more interested in how mechanical things operated ( along with the young ladies in school as a teen).
One does not need to be highly educated in formal schools to be able to contribute to this board.
I appreciate the writings posted here but feel the profanity is not needed here. I try mightly to refrain from this in my life but am not always successful but have no trouble posting here without writing it.
I have friends that are highly educated, one in particular is very successful but is fairly inept when it comes to maintaining or repairing the everyday mechanical items in our daily lives.
A man like Bullshop that is supporting his family and running a business connected with our hobby has my respect.

cajun shooter
10-16-2009, 09:04 AM
When I first visited this site I was impressed with the manner in which everyone addressed each other and tried to help with the posters question. I did not see any of the name calling and cussing as one sees on other forums. Being an ex cop I myself and the people I had daily contact with cussed all the time. There is a street language that is very bad to hear and use. We even had to testify in open court using the words of the suspects. It was a hard but nice transition when I became a regular person again. My mentor in Narcotics Division would kick back my reports that contained misspelled words. He told me that if you care about yourself you should spell correctly. I obtained a dictionary and never had one kicked back again. That's just me and it makes me feel better, but a person can also just hit the wrong key while knowing the proper spelling. I don't think someone should be chastised on any forum that is for pleasure because of spelling. If you post a notice for all to see about the spelling then you intend to hurt and not help. This forum is run as best as one could be in my mind and that's why I start my day here.

BeeMan
10-16-2009, 03:44 PM

Well said Rocky!

As to 'adult' language, this WAS the only board which I let my 11 yo read over my shoulder. Some of the recent threads have me shutting things down rather than let him read. Coarse language abounds elsewhere; why bring it here?

Last comment; I skip over posts where someone fails to use the enter key and break a lengthy post into paragraphs. There is nothing here so important that I will spend the time to decipher 15 or 20 lines of uninterrupted text.

BeeMan

45nut
10-16-2009, 04:05 PM
Time to move on now?

pmeisel
10-16-2009, 04:09 PM
Careful writing and spelling is both a courtesy to the reader, and an important step to being well understood.

That said, I don't demean anyone who can't live up to high standards. Some are more effective writers than others just like some are better shooters, faster runners, etc. There is some wisdom to be had from people who may not be the best writers.

grages
10-16-2009, 04:11 PM
Does this automatic spell-check work like I described in my earlier post? I use Firefox exclusively and have no idea how other browsers work. I thought the spell-check was part of this site.

John
W.TN

Spell check is automatic in the more current versions of Firefox. In the past you had to add it manually.

I like the spell check but I don't just right click on the word and pick an alternate spelling. I determine what the misspelling is and correct it manually. Only if I cannot figure it out do I check the drop down menu, it really has improved my spelling.

Grammar checkers on the other hand make my writing sound like I am an Indian out of cowboy movies.

Shawn

alamogunr
10-16-2009, 11:59 PM
Grammar checkers on the other hand make my writing sound like I am an Indian out of cowboy movies.

Shawn

I find that I disagree with grammer(I misspelled this intentionally) checkers regularly. Doesn't mean I'm right but I don't always like the sound of what they consider correct grammar.

The misspelling of grammar was what got me started on spell checkers. Usually I have just made a typo.

John
W.TN

PatMarlin
10-17-2009, 12:58 AM
Last comment; I skip over posts where someone fails to use the enter key and break a lengthy post into paragraphs. There is nothing here so important that I will spend the time to decipher 15 or 20 lines of uninterrupted text.

BeeMan

I agree with that. To hard to read through. That's my only beef.

My spelling improved greatly over the years by using spell check, as I try to memorize the correction when it happens.

I also take the time to copy and paste my post to check spelling if a word may be questionable. Like now ...:mrgreen: