PDA

View Full Version : metal polish (silicone carbide)

XWrench3
10-13-2009, 08:06 AM
well, after reading on this board that silicone carbide metal "polish" embeds itself into steel, i checked my sizing die that i used it on, and sure enough, there was still some inbedded into the steel. i polished it out (or at least it feels and looks like i did) with scotchbrite. the dies and ram feel much smoother now. anyway, i WAS going to order a small tub of 600 grit wheeler engineering paste from midway to fire lap some of my barrels with. after reading this, and checking the midway website, i discovered that it is indeed silicone carbide paste. glad now that i read this article first. so it has me thinking, i wonder what is on the david tubb's final finish system bullets that i ran through my 45/70? although, after 150 to 200 rounds after, plus several GOOD cleanings, i would think that if there was any abrasives left in the barrel, it would be gone by now. so, now my next project is to try to find some 600, 800, 1000 grit abrasives that i can coat several boolits with to fire lap with. it worked so well on the 45/70, i want to try it with some of my other guns.

deepwaterco
10-13-2009, 08:51 AM
Give Veral a call at LBT and order his lapping compound! It works very well and will not stay behind. I have done this with a number of mine and could not be more happy!

XWrench3
10-14-2009, 06:57 AM
What is lbt? Did you firelap, or hand lap?

Leadsmith
10-14-2009, 08:16 AM
I have several lapping compounds, one type is Corbin's synthetic sapphire, which is made up of flat plates of about 30 to 40 micron diameter that don't embed in metal and can remove silicon carbide that is embedded in the metal. Not sure where else to get this stuff, but it works really well.

I use silicon carbide for the initial lapping but use the synthetic sapphire for the final finish and to remove any silicon carbide still in the barrel. Seems to work fine.

Bob

arcticbreeze
10-14-2009, 10:55 AM
What is lbt? Did you firelap, or hand lap?

http://www.lbtmoulds.com/index.shtml

docone31
10-14-2009, 11:01 AM
Any Lapidary supply should have grits up to 50micron and better.
I wouldn't be all that worried about grit embedding itself. The grits are so fine, any porosity will be minimal. I am not all that sure a "perfect" bore is all that good anyway.

deepwaterco
10-14-2009, 05:31 PM
I firelap following Veral's directions, it is very easy to do. Veral's directions are to use 700x in a very small amount just a few grns only enugh to push the boolit out of the bore. Use soft lead. I shoot them into a 5 gallon bucket in the basement. You will get the instructions with the lapping compound if you order from LBT. Hope this helps.