PDA

View Full Version : 2 questions

XWrench3
10-13-2009, 07:51 AM
1) i just aquired my first batch of pure linotype (still in number and letter form), and i will shortly be smelting it into ingots. is there any funny particularities to this vs. ww or plain lead? i would not think so, but thought i would ask. and 2) i would like to mix my ww lead with plain soft lead. for my pistol shooting, i realy do not need that much hardness. but so far, it is the most economical lead i can find. is there a source for CHEAP soft lead that i do not know about? the places that i know are flea-bay, metal salvage yards, rotometal, and of course midway. all of which are at least triple of what i pay for wheel wights, and as much as 10 times as much. i really do not want to pay $1.50 a pound for soft lead :holysheep (that is the cheapest i can find), but if the cheap way to go is ww's, i guess i will use just that.

qajaq59
10-13-2009, 07:58 AM
# 1. No. it will melt up just like ww. It's a lot harder and shinier, but otherwise it's the same process.

#2. I have been looking for pure lead as well, and having no luck at all. It's really expensive. But if I do come up with a cheaper source I'll shoot you a PM.

Shiloh
10-13-2009, 08:51 AM
It casts bright shiny flawless boolits with complete fill out. I have been using my limited supply of lino as an alloy enhancer for other lead.

Shiloh

Leftoverdj
10-13-2009, 10:00 AM
Cheap lead does turn up, but it's impossible to predict where. I've lucked into salvage from two x-ray rooms. I also got 20-30 pounds of lead washers from a water treatment plant. They had been used as seals for pipe joints. A friend got several hundred pounds from the widow of a long retired plumber. Makers of stained glass windows may accumulate buckets of trimimgs.

There's an awful lot of lead out there, but it's in odd places. You might check with your garbage man. Everything gets thrown out, and a lot of garbage men set aside the salable stuff until they have enough to be worth a trip to the scrap yard.

odoh
10-13-2009, 11:00 AM
2 weeks ago, bought 165Lbs lead (incldg 90lbs Lino) for 5¢ Lb from the local recycler plus 13lbs from my dentist that he seen as an albatross. Genuinely happy to see me (free)

qajaq59
10-13-2009, 02:18 PM
XWrench3 I sent you a PM.