PDA

View Full Version : Anybody cast for the BMG

Nate1778
10-12-2009, 07:53 AM
I am seriously about to drop the hammer on a bolt gun in this caliber (.50 BMG). I know there is a lot of surplus pulled bullets out there. I am just trying to see if somebody has cast for it before and what was the setup. I am assuming lino is in order and gas checked. Just trying to see what I am getting into before I go with it. What molds are out there, and what kind of success can be achieved. Just trying to get the cost of the round down, at least the paper punchers.

duke76
10-12-2009, 08:26 AM
I own a 50 and would also like to know this answer

jdgabbard
10-12-2009, 10:12 AM
Yeah, I think some of the guys do cast for it. Thats something I'd like to see a thread with good pics on...

mag44uk
10-12-2009, 10:53 AM
There is a thread about this in group buy results area.
Or use the search function here.
OK,Try this http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?f=56
HTH
Tony

Nate1778
10-12-2009, 11:30 AM
I gave the search a try, gave up after 3 pages. A lot of the .50 BMG threads lead to a mold made in Australia whom web site is no longer active.

PS I did find the group buy thread, pretty cool bullet. Not much reporting on how it did leading wise.

HORNET
10-12-2009, 07:57 PM
You might want to check out the paper patching section and check with Red River Rick. He makes adjustable molds for paper patching that should be in the correct weight and diameter range. BTW, if you patch them, they don't need gas checks and could approach full throttle.. ouch :veryconfu

odoh
10-13-2009, 05:04 AM
yrs back, recovered some long 50Cal from the berm thinking it quite a catch just to have them float on the melt ~ thot they were cast zinc and tossed them

Thumbcocker
10-13-2009, 08:56 AM
I think NEI used to cut a mould for this but I'm not sure.

GabbyM
10-13-2009, 12:10 PM
yrs back, recovered some long 50Cal from the berm thinking it quite a catch just to have them float on the melt ~ thot they were cast zinc and tossed them

Zinc or incendiary rounds. :!:

midnight
11-02-2009, 11:11 PM
for nate1778 - You asked about the CBE mold. Just google cast bullet engineering and the website is there. Also the phone #. Calling Australia is cool. I called at 7pm on tuesday and it was 10am wednesday there.
Anyway, I got mold # 512975 and it is quality stuff. It's brass. I posted a pic on the Primal Rights forum but I don't think I could do it again.
I cast a bunch with linotype and the came out 0.514 and 835 gr. Another bunch with wheelweghts came out 0.512 and 964 gr. Buckshot on this forum will make Lee and lyman size dies in any dimension you want. He also makes a "kakecutter" if you want to pan lube.
Sorry I havn't shot any yet, need to get press and dies first but will report here as soon as I do.
Also my avitar shows five bullets cast with the mold.

Bob

PS- sorry wrong forum, bullet avitar is on 50-BMG.com forum

Jhess
11-02-2009, 11:29 PM
I think NOE did a .50 cal BMG not to long ago for rockrat. You may want to PM Swedenelson or Rockrat..... On second thought I think NOE has it in their catalog in the Vendor area.

jleneave
11-03-2009, 07:49 AM
I also have a Barrett .50BMG and would be interested in any info on casting for it. One question though, if you used a paper patched boolit would the muzzle brake cause problems when the paper patched boolit passed through it? I have zero knowledge when it comes to paper patching. I have however read where a .50BMG round using a bullet with a sabot shouldn't be fired through a rifle with a muzzle brake attached. How would that work out?

Jody

midnight
11-03-2009, 03:17 PM
I've shot a lot of paper patched bullets in the 577-450 Martini. A properly patched bullet should be bore diameter before patching and then patched up to groove diameter. The rifling will cut the patch and the pieces fall to the ground just beyond the muzzle. I think you would end up with paper in the brake although the muzzle blast should get rid of most of it but most is not all. The last time I left my hat on the bench, it was blown over 20 ft away. [smilie=s::cbpour:

Bob

rockrat
11-03-2009, 03:38 PM
I did the BMG boolit buy. It casts an 850gr boolit. I am currently working with this boolit in my AR50. So far, about 2600fps with flyers. 2300fps with 860 shows promise. Just changed to Caranuba Red lube, but haven't made it to the range yet with it. Currently trying out 1 to 1 lino/WW. The AR50 has a long throat and shallow rifling, so it makes it difficult. Once I get my bolt back for my ALS, will work with that gun. Should take care of the flyers, conventional rifling, as I think I am getting a little bit of skidding. Could tell if I wanted to dig a couple of feet into our berms to recover fired slugs.

I had Swede make up 4 extra moulds, as that was all he could make with the materials he had left. They are 3 cav. and are $120 + shipping. Blammer has gas checks in stock (4K last I heard).

Paper patching would be a no-no, because of the brake. Get patch fragments in the brake and might get a boolit strike on the brake. Too bad, cause I have a 700gr PP mould.

jleneave
11-03-2009, 08:42 PM
I did the BMG boolit buy. It casts an 850gr boolit. I am currently working with this boolit in my AR50. So far, about 2600fps with flyers. 2300fps with 860 shows promise. Just changed to Caranuba Red lube, but haven't made it to the range yet with it. Currently trying out 1 to 1 lino/WW. The AR50 has a long throat and shallow rifling, so it makes it difficult. Once I get my bolt back for my ALS, will work with that gun. Should take care of the flyers, conventional rifling, as I think I am getting a little bit of skidding. Could tell if I wanted to dig a couple of feet into our berms to recover fired slugs.

I had Swede make up 4 extra moulds, as that was all he could make with the materials he had left. They are 3 cav. and are $120 + shipping. Blammer has gas checks in stock (4K last I heard).

Paper patching would be a no-no, because of the brake. Get patch fragments in the brake and might get a boolit strike on the brake. Too bad, cause I have a 700gr PP mould.

That is what I was worried about. I was really hoping that it could be done with the brake on, it sure would have saved a lot of money. I have kind of wanted to try paper patching and have been researching it some, but I don't know that much about it yet. I am still looking for some info that is geared towards an absolute beginner and haven't found much in that order. Barrett states that if you remove the brake and fire the rifle it could damage it, and I don't think I would want to fire it without it anyway. The recoil would be way to harsh for me. I wouldn't want to take the chance of damaging a rifle that was that expensive either. I will just keep an eye out for a mould that cast bullets the correct size. Thanks for the replies to my question. I appologize to original poster for taking over his thread, sorry.

Jody

rockrat
11-03-2009, 10:06 PM
jleneave---If you want a mould, I have a few left. See my above post.

Jbar4Ranch
11-03-2009, 10:43 PM
THREE CAVITY! Good grief, that must be one big ol' mould. I've toyed with the idea of casting for my AR50 too... do you have a pic of the boolit? If I could find some .510" copper or brass/bronze round stock, I could turn out solids fairly fast on the ol' JET lathe too... hmmm...

SwedeNelson
11-03-2009, 11:33 PM
Something to look at:
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i80/swedenelson/514BMG.jpg
Rockrat's 850Gr. cast.

Swede Nelson

ETG
11-04-2009, 12:52 AM

How was the accuracy and at what ranges?

midnight
11-10-2009, 12:10 PM
:holysheep For Jody who was looking for basic paper patching info, try Paul Matthews book " The Paper Jacket". I got lots of info there although most of it is geared to black powder cartridges. You can even paper patch grooved bullets. I sized down ( in 0.002 steps) Lyman 458125 to 0.451 and patched it up to 0.458 and it shot well in the 45-70. Just fill the lube grooves when you're done sizing and patch it up. It works. Paper patch molds are not common and are expensive.
By paper patching grooved bullets you can have just about any bullet you want.:bigsmyl2:

Bob