PDA

View Full Version : Why not run 429421 44 caliber thru the Lee 430 sizer and then use Lee Alox lube

tackstrp
10-11-2009, 09:16 PM
Why not run 429421 44 caliber cat bullets thru the Lee 430 sizer and then use Lee liquid Alox lube mixed 50 % mineral spirsts.

I have written to Lee precisons and they assure me that it is the bearing surfaces that need to be LEE lubed not the grooves. That being the case seems to me that running any normal bullet like a lyman 429421 thru the Lee sizer with a little mineral sprirts for lube should be a fast way to size. Rather than do the Lee swril and lube in a tub, I am going to try wearing rubber gloves, dip my fingers in Lee liguid lube with 50% mineral sprites, pick up the bullest wiggle a tad and set up right on wax paper.

Would be worth a try before I sell my lyman 450 szier and dies.

I have a Lee 356 two cavity mould with one grease groove. The same method should work and provide more bearing surface with lube than the Lee Tumble lube of the same size.

44man
10-11-2009, 09:39 PM
Give up accuracy and maybe get more leading with LLA----No thanks.

vinnyg
10-11-2009, 10:09 PM
Instead, I squeeze a few drops of RCBS case lube on a Q-tip and lube the die by circulating it inside of the Lee sizer die, send some bullet’s through and they are easily sized with no leading in the die. Need to re-lube it again every so many bullets but there is no mess from the Alox. Never the less, Lee is right. After I use the Lee Alox to coat them, I dry em and then load em.
I also used too much Lee Alox in the beginning and did not care for the (very) sticky bullets that never dried. I was going to take up pan lubing instead but I cut down on the amount of Lee Alox and they are fine so thank you Lee.

timkelley
10-11-2009, 10:53 PM
I don't usually argue with folks who were casting long before me but I will this one time.
I have been casting Lyman 429421 boolits from clipon wheel weight using a borrowed mold this last month. I have made about 800 +/- boolits and they shoot good as I can.
Now the important part of all this is that I haven't sized at all. I lube them with thinned (50/50) LLA/ mineral spirits and let set overnight. Next day I give them a coat of JPW and let set overnight.
Load, shoot, enjoy!

This is thru an LSI Puma Carbine I found leftover in Lewiston. I've lucked into the perfect load.

saidnuff
10-11-2009, 11:02 PM
I just started using this set up I think I may be over lubing have to make more and see how that works out. Gee shooting more to check loads what a chore..

tackstrp
10-12-2009, 12:41 AM
Yep i often think i do a lot of work to punch bigger holes in paper targets.

geargnasher
10-12-2009, 01:04 AM
Why not run 429421 44 caliber cat bullets thru the Lee 430 sizer and then use Lee liquid Alox lube mixed 50 % mineral spirsts.

I have written to Lee precisons and they assure me that it is the bearing surfaces that need to be LEE lubed not the grooves. That being the case seems to me that running any normal bullet like a lyman 429421 thru the Lee sizer with a little mineral sprirts for lube should be a fast way to size. Rather than do the Lee swril and lube in a tub, I am going to try wearing rubber gloves, dip my fingers in Lee liguid lube with 50% mineral sprites, pick up the bullest wiggle a tad and set up right on wax paper.

Would be worth a try before I sell my lyman 450 szier and dies.

I have a Lee 356 two cavity mould with one grease groove. The same method should work and provide more bearing surface with lube than the Lee Tumble lube of the same size.

Why in @#$%$@ would you sell your 450 and dies and try to use LLA instead?

LLA does work well and has it's place in some applications (44man once told be the best place is under my fenders!) but NOT with the .44 Maggot unless you are planning to shoot them at cream-puff velocities, which, I think, defeats the whole purpose of the cartridge.

44man brings up an excellent point, too, that accuracy will probably suffer compared to good lubes. I like Carnauba Red, FWFL, LBT (yes, I concede, it is pretty good stuff), even BAC has worked ok in the .44 for me.

NoClue, I won't argue that what you're doing is working for you, just that you could might could do a lot better and what you're doing probably won't work as well in a revolver.

Gear

Lloyd Smale
10-12-2009, 05:46 AM
sorry but i agree totally with 44 man. The only use I have for it is beer can blasting loads in a 38 special. Even then ive gotten away from it because i load ammo like that by the thousands and when left sitting in a can over time it deadens powder and causes squibs. If your absolutely broke and cant afford a lubesizer (you can find them for 50 bucks used on ebay) use the stuff but ive used it enough to know its second rate for accuracy and leading. Like 44 mag said its better used for undercoating!

qajaq59
10-12-2009, 06:13 AM
Would be worth a try before I sell my lyman 450 szier and dies. I think maybe you'd better try it for quite a while before you sell your equipment. Otherwise you may regret it.

243winxb
10-12-2009, 07:30 AM
Sizing with the Lee you have to lube the bullets before and after sizing as i understand it. Double the work. Keep your Lyman 450. If your bullets drop from the mould at the correct diameter, then you can just tumble lube with any bullet for target loads like the 45acp. I tested with XLOX from Lar's 45 LsStuff http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/liquid-x.html by just warming it as in Lees instructions. With the 44mag. i have sized/lubed with 50/50 bees wax/alox in the Lyman 450, then tumble lubed with Xlox just to play around, works great with 10.2 gr of Unique. http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n420/joe1944usa/th_IMG_3306B.jpg (http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n420/joe1944usa/IMG_3306B.jpg)

Bret4207
10-12-2009, 09:09 AM
I like the Mule Snot and Lee system. Work's great up to 14-1600 fps on rifles and at least 1K in peestols. BUT- it's not perfect. It works in some applications just great, in others not so much. Look at it this way- Mule Snot works surprisingly well in many applications, but there are stick lubes that ALWAYS work in every application. Keep your lubrisizer and your Lee sizers, they both have their place.

tackstrp
10-12-2009, 10:58 AM
thank bret4207 . looks like you have treid both mehods.

I like to shoot lighter loads. no need to wear out myself. Also getting stingy about how much lead I shoot down range.If I could find a 100 grain 44 cal mold i would try. Seems silly to me bun powder and lead on paper. Carried my 44 for last chnce bear protection in alaska. Here in texas. my biggist concern are dogs an two legged varmints inside my house. Would not dream of shooting a mag anything indoors.

I alway wipe the base of my cast bullets before seating. So I think 'squib ' loads from alox spoiling powder can be avoided. Would suspect lyman black alox sizer lube on the base of bullet would cause same problems if not wiped off

I purchased five tubes of Bull Shop Green stick lube. Sure is great stuff, but sticky and so pale that is hard for me to see in the grooves are filled. Will go back to my trusty lyman stuff when the Bull Shop stuff is gone

timkelley
10-12-2009, 11:08 AM
Didn't say/Won't say tumblelube is better than a luber/sizer. Just want to point out that tumblelube works too.
If I were trying to get 1600+ fps or more from my guns I would drag out the Lyman 450 and some gaschecks.

Thumbcocker
10-12-2009, 11:18 AM
Also getting stingy about how much lead I shoot down range.If I could find a 100 grain 44 cal mold i would try. Seems silly to me bun powder and lead on paper

.433 round balls come close.

jhrosier
10-12-2009, 11:20 AM

I have sized .32 cal bullets in the Lee sizer and lubed them later with LLA.
I put a dab of the Lee case sizing lube on a cleaning patch and wipe only the grooved end of every second or third bollit with the patch so that the die has a bit of lube.
The Lee case sizing lube is not sticky or stinky.
The Lee case sizing lube does not seem to affect anything and I use only a tiny amount so I don't bother to try to remove it before coating the boolits with LLA.

Jack

tackstrp
10-12-2009, 11:24 AM
Forgot to say thet i have a 1000 hornady 180 grain HP XTP comeing some day. FRom the sales promoton Hornady had.. For me that will be a life time supply of jacketed bullets. Sure one of thsse days I will sell my 44, and just plink with my model 41, which i have set up to to take the Aim point Micro Red dot. Currently have it mounted on a Glock 9 mm. CAn also mount on my smith 44 or my favorite shooter the Tarus 608. U set the Aim point up with a quick relaease, so can swap.

Like that 8 shot Tarus . no brass to pick up.

kelbro
10-12-2009, 05:12 PM
I do exactly what you described and have no accuracy or leading problems with near full-house loads in my SBH. 429421, ALOX 50/50 w/min spirits and Lee 430 sizer. The Lee sizer barely sizes that bullet.