PDA

View Full Version : selling cast boolits

flrwizler
10-11-2009, 02:29 PM
I cast a few hundred boolits this past week (38 wadcutter)and they turned out real nice. I was packing my van for the flea market and thought id throw two boxes with 100 boolits in each box (unsized/non lubed)marked at $6 a box.

The gentleman that bought them asked if i would be making anymore for sale. I figure with the amount of lead i have maybee i should. A few extra dollars a week cant hurt.

My question--- are there any permits or licences needed to make and sell cast boolits?

Frank

10-11-2009, 03:14 PM
flrwizler,

I believe there are some ATF regulations and fees (taxes) involved. Check their web-site.

Perhaps a way around it would be to have the person buy you some casting equipment, say a mould, then you can give them boolits of an equal value. They get boolits, you get much need equipment.

One of my wheel weight suppliers gives me weights in exchange for boolits.

iron mule
10-11-2009, 03:15 PM
flrwizler//as per the atf people you need to have a lic form them to manufacter and sell loaded ammo but not the components as in just casting boolits to sell// now as to local and or state laws you will need to check on them // they can be real confusing on this so check good for example there may be no law saying you need a lic to cast and sell boolits but another law may say that you need to get a buisness permit to sell anything you make for a profit so check with the local and state people before you get into this big time
mule

45nut
10-11-2009, 03:18 PM
06 FFL I believe.

10-11-2009, 03:31 PM
Yep, 45nut, that's it.

I don't see any value in engaging in any sort of practice or enterprise that may encourage the feds to knock on my door. If I were to sell boolits, I'd get the 06 license.

I do have an 03 C&R license, but that's a pretty straight forward arrangement.

Doing it legally is the sane and logical way.

Wayne Smith
10-11-2009, 03:44 PM
It's the 06 FFL, $30 for three years, interview and site inspection by ATF agent (painless in my case) and you probably need a local business license. I've renewed mine and not had a repeat inspection, if I were in business I would expect that would happen.

You need to be aware of the Federal taxes involved, but I think this applys only to the final, loaded ammunition. Check your liability insurance.

evan price
10-12-2009, 02:44 AM
To make any component of ammo (including the boolit) for resale you need to have an FFL '06 which is $30 for 3 years, plus the assorted ATF crapfest.

However, you ALSO need to be registered with the US Department of State as a manufacturer of defense material for export. This is called DDTC-ITAR. Never mind the fact that you are not exporting, or selling anything to the .gov, the State Department has the ability to set their own rules in this regard AND set their own "fees" for registration...the minimum cost to register with ITAR is $2250.00 per year, and that does NOT include any export permits or anything more than the privelage of listing yourself with ITAR and being legal.

This is not a joke, this is not funny, and failure to comply is a federal felony with appropriate penalties and consequences! This is why I turned down a deal to buy a turnkey Magma Industries commercial casting operation- ITAR and the paperwork requirements!

Here's some info to look over from Front Sight magazine:

http://www.progunleaders.org/DDTC/

Netherwolf
10-12-2009, 07:20 AM
Would selling BP round balls, Minie balls &/or Maxi balls require a license as well. The feds don't regulate M/L firearms so I'm wondering if the corresponding projos are regulated.
Netherwolf

Stove_Pipe
10-12-2009, 04:10 PM
Would selling BP round balls, Minie balls &/or Maxi balls require a license as well. The feds don't regulate M/L firearms so I'm wondering if the corresponding projos are regulated.
Netherwolf

You mean those bullet shaped fishing sinkers?;-)

JIMinPHX
10-12-2009, 05:21 PM
You mean those bullet shaped fishing sinkers?;-)

My uncle brought some actual examples of those back from Nam. They were basically a .223 slug with a cotter pin melted into the heal. He also brought back some sandals that were made out of old jeep tires with straps that were made out of inner tubes & some flower pots that were made out of 90mm & 105mm brass. The guys in Viet Nam didn't let much go to waste.

A guy near me sells small lead paper weights that look a lot like boolits. I don't know how the feds feel about that. I don't think that he ever asked them.