PDA

View Full Version : The absolute worst mould ! ??

superior
10-11-2009, 11:36 AM
What's the worst mould you ever bought, and why? I sometimes learn more by hearing what other people DIDN'T like, rather than what they did. I'm anxious to hear what "customer service" was like when you really needed help from the manufacturer. :violin:

qajaq59
10-11-2009, 12:58 PM
I would think a quick look through the archives would give all the answers you'd ever want on that question. There's some sort of complaint about every third day about one mold problem or another. :mrgreen:
And the only complaint I've ever had was an undersized mold. It went back to Lyman and they re-did it. No problem, except I got stuck with the bill for shipping it back.

tackstrp
10-11-2009, 01:25 PM
I like to buy from Midway, if get a crappy mold can return for refund. Midway is often a dollar o so more than Midsouth and others but customer service for refunds is 100%.
I have returned Lyman, Lee and RCBS mold. Partly my fault except for one. Seems all molds have quirks and dislikes. Learning how to work around the things I did not like was difficult. I think if finally decided that, for me I seem to do better with Lee two cavity molds. I do have one lee 6 cavity that works for me. Also have a Lyman 429421 four cavity that I have had for 30 year or so. Lee molds are cheap and not as heavy, as Lyman so I dont get so tired. Older now and light weigth is good.

scb
10-11-2009, 01:27 PM
They were both Lee's. I got the first one and when you closed it you could put a .015" feller gage between the halves. I messed with it and got it to close up. Cast a few with it and they were .004 under sized. Junk. I figured anyone can let a bad one slip thru so I tried another. It was worse than the first. When I buy something I don't expect to have to spend all sorts of time making it work. Other than breaking it in it should work out of the box- period. That's why I'll never own another Lee mould.

Southern Son
10-12-2009, 05:29 AM
Lee 310 Cadet mould. Casts boolits so undersize I can put the boolit in the muzle without any pressure. It also puts fins on the base of the boolit that measure .010 thick and about .450 round.