PDA

View Full Version : Question about Sizing/Lubing

CajunRebel
10-11-2009, 12:18 AM
I never moulded rifle bullets before. Just received a Hoch 322200 mould for fixed ammo (no taper, longer nose). It has 4 grooves(?). Sizing going O.K., sized all 5 bands Do I need to get lube in the 4th groove or is it for crimping? I lowered the bullet until it almost disappears but it doesn't get lube in that last groove. Also, lube keeps sneaking between the bullet and the push-piston(?). I wiped it off, but is that typical?

Le Loup Solitaire
10-11-2009, 02:13 AM
Hi, I'm not familiar with the bullet, but generally the top groove on a cast is for the crimp and is not filled with lube. If you've got four grooves, then three filled would normally supply enough lube. You did not mention which lubrisizer you are using, but if it is a Lyman, RCBS or Saeco then there is often a little lube that squeezes in between the bullet base/gas check on the bottom, especially if you have a bit too much pressure in/on the lube reservoir. Wiping the base clean is the proper thing so that it does not contaminate the powder when seated. LLS

CajunRebel
10-11-2009, 02:15 PM
Thanks for your help. I'm using the Lyman 450 sizer.

lathesmith
10-11-2009, 08:01 PM
Cajun, if the top groove looks like the other lube grooves, then likely the bullet designer intended for it to be filled with lube. OTOH, if it is much narrower and shallower, it's a crimp groove, and lubing it is optional, and probably not required.
lathesmith

StarMetal
10-11-2009, 08:17 PM
Are you positive on that mould. Look at the ones on this page:

http://www.hochmoulds.com/stock.htm#Midway

Looks like all but one of them are plain base. They have that number there you posted but on that site it's a loverin style with more then 4 grooves.

Depends on what brand size die you have in your luber/sizer as to how far down inside it the bullet has to go. The RCBS ones only have one row of lube holes in the die and are the worse for longer bullets getting lubed near the nose. If you don't keep a steady pressure on the handle lube can sneak in under the base of the bullet. Also if the bullet is smaller then the die will cause it, alone with a irregularity in the bullet base, and as will too much lube pressure.

Joe