PDA

View Full Version : Re: Discontinued Lyman moulds, too bad............

Buckshot
04-24-2006, 07:57 AM
..............We couldn't get some retailer to convince Lyman of doing a twice yearly run of some of their more famous discontinued moulds.

Like a 323471, or 358009, 311407 (several in this series), the 268645, come to mind right off the top of my head. Maybe the 45 Collar button one or even some of the older gallery type moulds they had?

Very likely of more limited interest too would be some of the designs they had for some of the early black powder cartridges? Heck today if you have it, regardless what it is you can probably get it shooting as SOMEONE is making cases you can mangle into shape.

It would seem to me that they could surely sell 100 of'em, and especially if they WERE of limited duration. Heck you'd have the folks who wanted them to shoot, and then you'd have the speculators snapping them up. I don't know how much profit is in each mould they sell but if they can't use the profit I'd be surprised. I can't see where producing the cherries would cost any more then the cherries they already make, right?

Heck, they could even mark them "IDEAL" as another little plus.

How many would they want to sell to grind up some cherries? Could we here, and maybe on the Fouling shot board not generate 30-40 takers for a 2 cav 311407, for example? And if they wanted a run of 100, maybe the other 20-30 could go to Mid-South, Midway, or Graf and Son or somebody else?

.....................Buckshot

keeper89
04-24-2006, 08:28 AM
Buckshot, I know I for one would be interested in several out of production molds if and when they ever became available but my confidence in Lyman is not overly high on this.....I think they have an eye on the fastest and largest ways to improve the "bottom line"......however, should this prove to not be the case, I usually can scrape up a few dollars worth of "play dough"!!!:-D

NVcurmudgeon
04-24-2006, 10:42 AM
Buckshot, check out the shirt racks at your favorite men's clothing store. Large and XL sizes will be there in variety and abundance. But if you are looking for XX, medium, or small, you will be lucky to find a choice of two, both suitable only for the color blind. Years ago, a western clothing store owner, (a feathermerchant like me) told me that the big stores stock only the "heart" sizes in any numbers, because they don't want to waste shelf space on slow movers. When I was an Exxon dealer we had common ATF in pint and quart cans. However, Exxon saw fit to provide Ford type fluid only in pints. When we complained to our sales reps that it was a PITA to open 22 pint cans to do a fluid change in a Ford, their answer was, "we don't sell as much Ford type." We could not get them to understand that Ford CARS were just as big as the others! Unfortunately, the same "bottom line" mentality explains no traditional wooden pencils at Wart-Mall and Lyman's discontinuing moderately popular moulds.

Dale53
04-24-2006, 10:48 AM
A friend of mine who runs a relatively small reloading tool operation a number of years ago did just that. He picked out several old, discontinued Lyman moulds and got them to run them at a minimum guaranteed run for him. He was a small operation, and yet he did it and made money on it. Huge Lyman (in comparison) couldn't or wouldn't afford to do it. Makes NO sense to me. They built them for him and he made money. But they wouldn't do it for themselves. Crazy!

American business today is totally focused on "Bottom Line Today" and has absolutely no vision for tomorrow. And they are slowly dying with this attitude...

Dale53

onceabull
04-24-2006, 12:08 PM
Buckshot: If the "big name" retailers you mention weren't interested,Dave Gullo (Buffalo Arms) might be, and you can get him involved in helping you select just the right retirement property,too.I'd speculate that 100 ea of the first three #'s you put up would be sold in a new york minute.. Onceabull :roll:

45 2.1
04-24-2006, 12:19 PM
OK, guys. Everyone wants one of this or that. Why don't WE do it as a Site with a minor investment from interested members, who should get their molds at a "discount" and sell the others for profit with a percentage going to the Site.

onceabull
04-24-2006, 12:35 PM
45.2.1: That works for me !! what say, Ken & Willy ??

onceabull
04-24-2006, 12:38 PM
Gents: should have put in last post: Not hung up on Lyman, NEI would work for me (In meehanite,please)... Onceabull:Fire:

NVcurmudgeon
04-24-2006, 08:46 PM
Long as we're dreaming, a two-cavity NEI clone of the RCBS 358-200 in Meehanite, casting .360" in WW. And yes, I've heard tell that the RCBS actually casts 210-220 gr. and that's all to the good. Love RCBS moulds, but some of them are on the skinny side.

Hip's Ax
04-24-2006, 09:25 PM
I'd be willing to kick in to make this happen, especially interested in the 311407, 311467 type series with multiple cavities. I'd love to see these old molds come to life once more.

fatnhappy
04-24-2006, 10:00 PM
I'd love to get my hands on a 358009 and a 287308.

Buckshot
04-24-2006, 10:56 PM
............Well I'm certainly interested. If I'm not mistaken 45Nut may have a minor "In" with someone at Lyman (as mentioned on the Aimoo board). Not that they'd have any power as to a yes or no decision, but maybe someone we could at least talk to for some inside insight? I don't mean to put 45Nut in the hot seat here either, just that it might be a possibility. Better then just calling them up cold anyway.

.................Buckshot

onceabull
04-24-2006, 11:00 PM
Buckshot: Ken might be able to escalate that "minor in" with the lady from Lyman once he starts talking bizness.. Onceabull :roll:

Beau Cassidy
04-25-2006, 07:32 AM
I would pony-up if it were for something in .348 or .405. I would like to see a 4-banger 452389 (I believe this is the number for the RN wadcutter-type of mold).

Beau

9.3X62AL
04-25-2006, 11:18 AM
With the recent wider availability of 9.3 caliber rifles in the USA--CZ, Tikka, and surplus Scandinavian Mausers--a redux of Lyman #366408 and sizer dies to fit same might be indicated. A couple of the above-mentioned molds interest me, too. I would contribute some front-end cash to the venture if Lyman shows some interest.

walltube
04-25-2006, 12:13 PM
A four cavity Loverin mould? New manufacture?? And ferrous yet?

Oooh, baby! Keep talking. How much money you want??

Pardon my drool, Gents, but that happens when ever I get it up.*

Regards,
Walltube

* My attention to H.G. Loverin moulds, that is.

45 2.1
04-25-2006, 03:47 PM
Now, what does the leadership think???????

onceabull
04-25-2006, 04:00 PM
As Deputy AL said, I too have some front end $ available if we need/want to go that way.. Onceabull :drinks:

swampmaster
04-26-2006, 04:44 AM
Is there any such place to find a list of Disc. Mold numbers?

6pt-sika
04-26-2006, 05:04 AM
There is a guy in VT , that claims to have gotten all of Lyman's "obsolete" cherries . He told me about a year ago he plans on starting to cut single holes and go from there.
I got my single cavity heel mold for the 32 Long Colt from him . It was cut with Lyman's cherry. However he takes old molds turns them over and cuts the other side . Last time I spoke with him he had not come up with a viable way to get blocks , and I don't think he wanted to make them himself.

His address is;

M&P Cast Bullet Co.
44 Martel Way
Rt. 6 #25
Old Guilford Road
Brattleboro , Vt. 05301

802-254-5296

I've done a fair amount of buisness with him before . His name is John. Give him a try he may be of help .[smilie=1:

felix
04-26-2006, 08:09 AM
Are those cherries worth the trouble? I bet a lot of the more popular shapes will have to be resharpened, and will then cut smaller holes that what we would normally require or at least expect. ... felix

6pt-sika
04-26-2006, 08:33 AM
Are those cherries worth the trouble? I bet a lot of the more popular shapes will have to be resharpened, and will then cut smaller holes that what we would normally require or at least expect. ... felix

You have a valid point, and I do not know.

All I'm doing is passing along what I was told .

I do however know that they sent me a very good #299153 that I use to cast bullets for the 32 Long Colt . This is the only heel mold I've ever worked with , so I have nothing to compare . But the bullets shoot very well in my 1892 Marlin .

:drinks:

:castmine:

floodgate
04-26-2006, 01:41 PM
Is there any such place to find a list of Disc. Mold numbers?"

Swampmaster:

I have a pretty complete listing of ALL the mould numbers listed in NEARLY all of the Ideal / Lyman Handbooks and catalogs, 1897 - 2005, but the tables run about 50 pages (400+/- designs x 58 years!), and do not include pictures. I suggest you start by going to CASTPICS <www.castpics.net> / Research and Data / Lyman Moulds and also - / Excerpts from Ideal HB No. 9. Between them, these sites show photos or engraving cuts of 90%+ of all the moulds they ever listed. If you can't find a specific mould you are looking for, PM me and I'll try to dig it out. Note that Ideal mould designations are made up from "caliber (first 3 digits)" + "cherry number (1 - 3 digits, more or less in order of introduction)" and that several of the cherry numbers were re-used with different caliber prefixes (in a few cases, even the SAME prefix!) when old designs were discontinued.

The CASTPICS site has similar lists and illustrations for several other makers' moulds as well.

Have fun!!

floodgate

Buckshot
04-27-2006, 03:17 AM
...............I do not think that Lyman makes the best blocks. RCBS and Saeco have pretty well shown how to do it. But the Lymans are still good useable moulds. The point of mentioning Lyman is they have the history, the name, and are still currently made. Product identity and the original maker.

If you get a good Lyman moulds, it is a fine item. But going to Lee to have a copy of the 358009 made may generate interest, it just isn't the same as having it done in ferrous set of blocks, and from the original manufacturer. Oh we could get NEI to do some for us, as their schedule of prices is posted, but again just not the same.

...............Buckshot

swampmaster
04-27-2006, 05:00 AM
[QUOTE=floodgate]"

Swampmaster:

I have a pretty complete listing of ALL the mould numbers listed in NEARLY all of the Ideal / Lyman Handbooks and catalogs, 1897 - 2005, but the tables run about 50 pages (400+/- designs x 58 years!), and do not include pictures. I suggest you start by going to CASTPICS <www.castpics.net> / Research and Data / Lyman Moulds and also - / Excerpts from Ideal HB No. 9. Between them, these sites show photos or engraving cuts of 90%+ of all the moulds they ever listed. If you can't find a specific mould you are looking for, PM me and I'll try to dig it out. Note that Ideal mould designations are made up from "caliber (first 3 digits)" + "cherry number (1 - 3 digits, more or less in order of introduction)" and that several of the cherry numbers were re-used with different caliber prefixes (in a few cases, even the SAME prefix!) when old designs were discontinued.

The CASTPICS site has similar lists and illustrations for several other makers' moulds as well.

Have fun!!

floodgate[/QUOTe

Thanks I will do some research

sundog
04-27-2006, 07:11 AM
What Buckshot said. sundog

felix
04-27-2006, 08:40 AM
Everyone is by now, or should be, putting some copper in with their iron formulation, except for Lyman it seems. I don't know why they refuse the newer standards in making iron molds, both in composition and in machining. Copper naturally allows easier machining as well as providing for more consistent cold-heat-cold cycles without warping or other gyrations. ... felix

Edward429451
04-27-2006, 10:21 AM
I wouldn't mind having a 457130 mould. (Collar button.)

Char-Gar
04-27-2006, 02:03 PM
I would be interested in involving myself in getting Lyman to bring back some great discontinued numbers. I am not sanguine though. A couple of years ago, I wrote them suggesting they put all of the Ideal and Lyman loading nanuals on a CD. Even at $150 per CD, they would sell and be worth their effort. I never received a response.

9.3X62AL
04-27-2006, 03:44 PM
Chargar--

Lyman's practices and attitudes are EXACTLY why guys like Dan at Mountain Molds, the late Walt Melander and now his daughter Patty at NEI, and other small mold makers do so well so quickly. Even folks doing refinements and modifications to existing molds find themselves swamped with work in no time at all. If ever the "evidence" that boolit casting is an under-serviced market--and that a company positioned well to exploit that oppurtunity enthusiastically ignores that market--Lyman would cop the prize.

Molly
04-27-2006, 08:14 PM
Is there any such place to find a list of Disc. Mold numbers?
Fellows,

FWIW, I have an OLD Ideal catalog fold-out that is framed and hanging on the wall beside me as I type. It illustrates and gives the Lyman mold No. for 168 of the best of the old Ideal designs. I also have a copy of the Lyman "Handbook of Cast Bullets" (circa 1958) that lists and illustrates just about every design they ever made.

To give you some idea how comprehensive it is, it has illustrations of Nos. 23639, 23640 and 236199, with the comment that they were "Originally designed for the .236 Navy, but the bore diameter was changed soon after design. Molds are available if anyone finds a use for them."

I'll be happy to provide any information anyone wants about these old designs, but understand that these are illustrations, not dimensional mechanical drawings.

Molly

swampmaster
04-27-2006, 08:37 PM
Molly Stupid Me I for got that I have the same old book. I have one in Miint Condition that I had preserved and put away. Guess I need to dig it back out:-D

Molly
04-27-2006, 09:20 PM
Molly Stupid Me I for got that I have the same old book. I have one in Miint Condition that I had preserved and put away. Guess I need to dig it back out:-D
(BG) Me too, but some of the younger fellows might not be aware of things like that, so I thought I'd jump in. I'd sure like to pick up a few 4-cavities, like 311290, 311299 & 311291

(My 311291 is pretty worn - had it since 1961, but it's still chucking 'em out! But a few years ago, my stepson was trying to be nice to me, and he cast up a few thousand without me knowing anything about it - but he slammed the blocks shut every time. It took a good bit of work to get it back into shape. Sure would like to get a new one.)

Molly

6pt-sika
04-27-2006, 10:15 PM
I have a reprint of a 1905 Marlin catalog and there are two molds in there that intrest me quite a bit.
One is for the 32-40 , it is #319261 . Its described as an Express Bullet of 150 grains , plain base and hollow point.
The other is for the 38-55 , it is mold #375262. It is also described as an Express Bullet of 235 grains , plain base and hollow point.
The 319261 is listed in Lymans Cast Bullet Handbook , but not as a HP. And I can find no mention of the 38-55 bullet any where else.

I'd be thankful for any ideas or help. :drinks:

:castmine:

45nut
04-27-2006, 11:56 PM
Sorry I missed this thread til now. I am sure not avoiding the topic. I have approached lyman with this idea in the past and really didn't get anywhere with them doing it for them...if you get my drift.
Now,if it was possible to have a genuine lyman run of classic's in a investment grade for the site I am all for it.
No businessman myself though...I would certainly support it and back it up 100%. Something to be discussed further I am sure.
Can someone present a viable business plan that a group can pursue?

floodgate
04-28-2006, 12:48 AM
6pt:

That .38-55 #375262 35-gr. HP IS (or was) real! In my master mould index I find it was introduced in Handbook No. 16 (1904), carried on through the years of Marlin ownership (1910 - 1915/16), and picked up again by Lyman when they acquired the dormant Ideal line in October 1925. They carried it right on through HB #37 (1950); it is not shown in No. 38 (1951), re-appears briefly in HB #39 (1953) and then disappears from the Handbooks. But it is shown in the March, 1956 chart of tools, dies and bullets Molly mentions above (I found mine stuck into an old 1959 Lyman Annual Product Catalog). But even though many older and several by-then obsolete designs are shown in the 1958 First Edition Cast Bullet Handbook, this one didn't make it. I guess this doesn't really help - but that bullet WAS a real one. You'd get pretty much the same bullet by HP-ing the old "standard" #375248 which is still available; this is probably why they dropped the #375262, as back inthe '50's they would - on special order - HP just about any standard bullet in the line. Look for a #375248 and talk to Buckshot....

floodgate

floodgate
04-28-2006, 01:00 AM
Cont'd: back when the #319261 and #375262 were added to the line in the early 1900's, both the .32-40 and the 38-55 were very competitive as both hunting and target (Schuetzen) rounds, and Ideal's John Barlow often issued new variants in pairs with consecutive cherry numbers. Thus, we find the new gas-check versions #319295 and #375296 (with optional soft-tip insert moulds) appearing together in HB #17 of 1906. floodgate

Buckshot
04-28-2006, 03:34 AM
............45Nut, well first up is just talking to Lyman, secondly is getting them to consider the thing. If they said AYE! and named a price breakdown then we could go from there.

Just thinking but it could be set up in a deal like shares. Let's say just for fun that Lyman said the minimum they would do is 100 moulds at $50 each (I'm keeping the math simple you guys :-). That means we'd have to fork up $5000 for the hundred. Board members interested would buy thier mould at cost.

So lets say we got 60 people to subscribe, leaving 40 moulds to cover. In order to get the other 40 moulds so we could get the deal done, you could buy shares at $10 each. That would be 200 shares ($2000 for the 40 moulds). Once the 40 moulds were sold, the total amount for those 40 would then be paid out to the shareholders.

Let's say that all 40 sold for $65 each. That's $2600. Further, 40 people bought the 200 outstanding shares to get the other 40 moulds cut. Each share would be worth $13 (2600 / 200 = $13). So the guy who bought 5 shares would get back $65. Someone who bought in for 10 shares would get back $130.

But in order to sell them in a reasonable amount of time, I suppose E-Bay would be the choice. A sticky point would be that it would be best for one person to handle that. That's a lot of work. So it may just be that whoever DOES do the selling on E-Bay could keep whatever shipping profit there was and also half or some agreed upon amount over and above selling price X.

In any event each person buying a share would at least get thier money back, assuming the outstanding moulds sold for more then the $50 production fee. So there IS a possible negative. A possible offset is that the moulds could be sold for some amount over the simple production price as a possible slush fund, as it were.

.....................Buckshot

walltube
04-29-2006, 02:11 PM
All,

I'd like to raise a point or three about the mould manufacturer of choice.

Felix' assertion of RCBS & SAECO having the superior metallurgy and Lyman not having so, suggests that Lyman may not be in the best long term interest of the buyers. I am not arguing against Lyman per se, rather, for a more durable mould material. Keeping better cavity dimensions and releasing the boolit without much ado, etc. is most desireable. In my view.

Like Buckshot, I too would like to have a discontinued Lyman boolit in a mould made by Lyman of new manufacture. However, for my money, I'd be buying more into nostalgia than modern mould metallurgy. It's a long term investment thing.

Yes, I want in on this deal (given the boolit design I want) and ask the brokers to approach other mould makers more in tune with us. Mehanite even.

Deputy Al well states who loves us and who loves us not out there. We're not buying mouse traps, but please take notice where the beaten path leads to.

Jeez, fellers, I got all this FEMA money burning a hole in my pocket.......

Y.T.,

H.E. Leaming

felix
04-29-2006, 02:49 PM
Mehanite is the quasi name of the corporation that first inserted copper into the iron. It took a special flux to do so, and they came up with it. That's what I dreampt up, read via technical literature, or was told on the job, etc. Anyway, lots of folks can and do make the alloy now, if not the same, then approximate and good enough for boolit molds. ... felix

walltube
04-29-2006, 03:50 PM
Yep, refrigerators were often reffered to as "Fridgidaire" in some parts of the USA.

Like: " Who drank alla my Falstaff outta da Fridgidaire last night!?"

Walltube :)

Buckshot
04-30-2006, 02:16 AM
Yep, refrigerators were often reffered to as "Fridgidaire" in some parts of the USA.

Like: " Who drank alla my Falstaff outta da Fridgidaire last night!?"

Walltube :)

The Ryers are great old friends of our family and are a couple my parents met before I was born, when my dad was stationed at the naval hospital in Bethesda, MD. They're from somewhere back there and both still use the broad A. Like, "where ah we going to pawk th' cah. They both called the refrigerator a Fridgidaire. Whereas we felt that was very odd. We called it the 'ice box', as was proper :-). Marvin also always said, "youse guys" and us kids always gave him a hard time about being a 'gangstah'.

.................Buckshot

robsguns
02-20-2014, 05:22 PM
Sorry to drag this up from the grave, but I have been googling discontinued moulds and came upon this thread. What ever became of this endeavor?

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-20-2014, 06:30 PM
welcome to the best boolit casting website in the cybersphere.

I'm struggling not to post something sarcastic here, especially since you are a newbie. So the short answer is...nothing ever came of this.

BUT, you have arrived in what is easily the golden age of boolit mold manufacturing... here is a recent rant of mine about just this topic.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?231373-Are-there-really-this-many-casters&p=2639431&viewfull=1#post2639431

bhn22
02-20-2014, 07:17 PM
Other manufacturers have stepped up and filled Lymans void. We can't get actual Lyman or RCBS molds, but the group buys and vendors like NOE keep us supplied.

oneokie
02-20-2014, 07:33 PM
Don't over look Accurate moulds. Check their web site for their currently available designs.

fatnhappy
02-20-2014, 09:52 PM
Lots came out of this. We now have several extremely good mould manufacturers turning out custom creations that are better than anything lyman can make these days.

9.3X62AL
02-20-2014, 09:58 PM
What F&H said, in spades. The fine tools by Accurate, NOE, Mihec, Mountain Molds, and others spoil you rotten, and make the use of current-production Lyman moulds seem like slumming.

Welcome to the asylum, Robsguns. We don't bite, and even if we did we've all had our shots. Is there a particular mould or moulds you have an interest in?

Bad Water Bill
02-20-2014, 10:45 PM
robsguns

Welcome to our happy home.

Pull up a rocking chair crab a cup of coffee and enjoy the finest site ever devised.

P S Our bite is mainly harmless.

The moderators will take away my rented teeth if I or others misbehave.:)

oneokie
02-20-2014, 11:08 PM
robsguns

Welcome to our happy home.

Pull up a rocking chair crab a cup of coffee and enjoy the finest site ever devised.

P S Our bite is mainly harmless.

The moderators will take away my rented teeth if I or others misbehave.:)

Nope, we would just tell Gerty you need a good talking to. [smilie=1:

Bad Water Bill
02-20-2014, 11:20 PM
lest I kin spel er nam korektli.

She b askln me ta tern er loos on da folks dat spel er nam bad.

Yup she do hav da nu shuz frum BLACKSMITH an wans ta c hou long dat impreshun lastz.

bhn22
02-20-2014, 11:27 PM
lest I kin spel er nam korektli.

She b askln me ta tern er loos on da folks dat spel er nam bad.

Yup she do hav da nu shuz frum BLACKSMITH an wans ta c hou long dat impreshun lastz.

Mommmm.... Bills been drinking again!!!!

btroj
02-20-2014, 11:46 PM
Mommmm.... Bills been drinking again!!!!

You can tell the difference?

TXGunNut
02-21-2014, 12:57 AM
Welcome! And don't totally write off Lyman moulds. I have a few current production examples that I feel are quite good, IMHO.

10x
02-24-2014, 12:00 AM
I'd be willing to kick in to make this happen, especially interested in the 311407, 311467 type series with multiple cavities. I'd love to see these old molds come to life once more.

Check out Night Owl Industries over in the group buy section. I have got several lyman discontinued molds through the group buy section, including the two you list and I have started a group buy on a 120 grain 30 caliber loverin design - that worked out very well. If you do not mind a high quality aluminium or brass mold the group buy forum is the place to go.

CGT80
02-24-2014, 04:15 AM
NOE molds are awesome. I love the aluminum 5 cavity that I have. Tonight I cast about 600 30 cal 175 grain boolits. The mold seems to work better each time I use it. I have looked at the production molds on midway and other sites, but I would much rather have an NOE. I like 4+ cavity molds in aluminum and the quality is great on the custom molds. I have some old steel mold, which work great, but they are heavier and slow.

NOE has a lot of non-hp molds, which I really like. I was thinking of a 40 cal pistol mold, but I really like the swc 155 bullets (mass produced) that I am using and I like the looks of TC bullets I have used. Unfortunately, NOE just lists round nose for that type of mold. I know they would work well, but I like them to look cool to. Lee has a heavier tc in 6 cav, but I am not a fan of their molds.

With the custom mold makers that we now have, I don't have a desire for more mass produced molds, unless they are going to offer similar products to the custom molds. I would rather support the guys that have small businesses doing the custom molds, anyway.

My other custom mold is an MP. It is very nice as well, but I don't need hollow point capability (it looks really cool though) and most MP molds seem to be brass, which I don't see a real advantage to vs the weight savings of aluminum. The wait times can be long for a group buy, but the end product is top notch.

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-24-2014, 09:53 AM
NOE molds are awesome. I love the aluminum 5 cavity that I have. Tonight I cast about 600 30 cal 175 grain boolits. The mold seems to work better each time I use it. I have looked at the production molds on midway and other sites, but I would much rather have an NOE. I like 4+ cavity molds in aluminum and the quality is great on the custom molds. I have some old steel mold, which work great, but they are heavier and slow.

NOE has a lot of non-hp molds, which I really like. I was thinking of a 40 cal pistol mold, but I really like the swc 155 bullets (mass produced) that I am using and I like the looks of TC bullets I have used. Unfortunately, NOE just lists round nose for that type of mold. I know they would work well, but I like them to look cool to. Lee has a heavier tc in 6 cav, but I am not a fan of their molds.

With the custom mold makers that we now have, I don't have a desire for more mass produced molds, unless they are going to offer similar products to the custom molds. I would rather support the guys that have small businesses doing the custom molds, anyway.

My other custom mold is an MP. It is very nice as well, but I don't need hollow point capability (it looks really cool though) and most MP molds seem to be brass, which I don't see a real advantage to vs the weight savings of aluminum. The wait times can be long for a group buy, but the end product is top notch.
I have the NOE 402-160 RN mold. I think the finished loaded rounds look COOL. like a scaled down "45 auto Ball ammo" I can get you some samples if you like. my mold drops them around .4025 and I use a .403 size to lube them...so they are a bit large.
Jon

CGT80
02-24-2014, 04:28 PM
I have the NOE 402-160 RN mold. I think the finished loaded rounds look COOL. like a scaled down "45 auto Ball ammo" I can get you some samples if you like. my mold drops them around .4025 and I use a .403 size to lube them...so they are a bit large.
Jon

That would be very kind of you to set me up with some samples. I would be more than happy to cover your costs for sending those. I shoot a commercial bullet that is 0.401, according to the package, and has a very hard blue lube. I need to make a chamber cast of my barrel to see what size I can run. It is an XD 4" 40 S&W barrel. I saw a very small amount of lead in the barrel when I cleaned it last. These bullets are also very hard. I can't scratch them with my fingernail. I do not have any 40 cal sizing dies yet. I am pushing the 155 lswc with 4.6 grains of hp-38, which chronos just slightly above 1,000 fps. This works well for 3 gun competition.

I have about 4k of the commercial bullets left, and was debating on getting an NOE mold and the right sizing die for my RCBS LAM I or just staying with bought bullets. I pick lead up for free at my range, so as long as I get enough of it, I would save money and have fun doing it. I have looked at the NOE site a few times lately and keep eyeballing that 4 cav 160 rn that is in stock. 5 cav would be better, but 4 cav and in stock means I could be using it in a week or less. I use White Label CRed for my cast boolits, and would do the same with the 40 cal.

Chris

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-24-2014, 09:04 PM
PM sent

BrassMagnet
02-23-2015, 08:38 AM
I need some discontinued moulds.

287221 & 225036 & 257016

MtGun44
02-23-2015, 02:54 PM
keep an eye on eBay, Brass Magnet. They turn up periodically.

A friend calls eBay, "Like a river, the stuff just flows past, if you miss one, just wait
a bit, another one will be by directly."

fatnhappy
02-23-2015, 07:50 PM
I need some discontinued moulds.

287221 & 225036 & 257016

How is that even possible? To my knowledge, to date you haven't passed on a mould here.

bruce drake
02-23-2015, 10:00 PM
Besides having Brass I think he has Moulditis... ;)

and yes, I too have been looking for "obsolete" molds more often than current molds...

Bruce

Bad Water Bill
02-23-2015, 10:06 PM
HMMMM

Looks like Bruce FINALLY decided to wash them purple things.[smilie=s:

bruce drake
02-25-2015, 02:23 AM
I'm happy Gerty hasn't started wearing purple drawers...

Bad Water Bill
02-25-2015, 04:43 AM
I'm happy Gerty hasn't started wearing purple drawers...

Girty was raised with more self respect than to do that.

Girty keeps telling me to go easy on you because after all you were only a ground pounder.:kidding:

BrassMagnet
02-25-2015, 08:38 AM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by BrassMagnet http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?p=3150908#post3150908) I need some discontinued moulds.

287221 & 225036 & 257016

How is that even possible? To my knowledge, to date you haven't passed on a mould here.

That is almost true!
However, my Castboolits Buddies have let me down.
Those gougers on FleaBay have, too!

I still need those moulds.
Maybe Swede can make them if I can provide some samples.

DCP
02-26-2015, 12:18 PM
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/000152660130/%23457130-%22Collar-Button%22-(45-70-Double-Cavity)-

#457130 "Collar Button" (45-70 Double Cavity)

Clay M
02-26-2015, 12:29 PM
I have the old Lyman 410459 mold that I got from my late State Patrol shooting buddy..It has always been a good bullet for the .41 mag.It is really ashamed it was discontinued.

bhn22
02-26-2015, 12:37 PM
If they're not selling, it makes no sense to keep making them.

Clay M
02-26-2015, 12:39 PM

Correct and the bottom line is the bottom line. That goes for a lot of great stuff that has a limited following..

bruce drake
02-26-2015, 01:36 PM
You aviators have to land and then you can pound the ground as well...
You are only guaranteed a takeoff...Landings are always a factor of luck...

I might have a line on a 100gr 6.5 mold from a fellow member of this forum but I still would like to see several other obsolete molds in 8mm, 30 caliber and 7mm be redone. Mountain Mold's online mold design software is nice but they don't cut round-nose or spitzer profiles. The closest they can do is a Truncate cone but they still require a minimal diameter meplat which negates the Round nose or Spitzer profile options.

bhn22
02-26-2015, 04:33 PM
LBT does custom work, and can cut spitzers or round nose. Veral would need a pattern to copy however. I'm guessing that Accurate could probably do it too.

BrassMagnet
02-26-2015, 09:22 PM

I do believe the new business plan for RCBS and Lyman is to only make generic mould designs in common calibers and force us to buy them.

Bad Water Bill
02-27-2015, 02:54 AM
I do believe the new business plan for RCBS and Lyman is to only make generic mould designs in common calibers and force us to buy them.

Another great reason for joining this site.

How many new mould mfgrs do we have here?

And how many other small folks have been mentioned here with competitive prices to the big boys?

Will you be able to order your mould in BRASS,IRON or ALUMINUM pluss YOUR choice of noses?

bruce drake
02-27-2015, 08:31 AM
Exactly!!!!!

another great reason for joining this site.

And how many other small folks have been mentioned here with competitive prices to the big boys?

Will you be able to order your mould in brass,iron or aluminum pluss your choice of noses?

BrassMagnet
02-27-2015, 12:01 PM
Another great reason for joining this site.

Will you be able to order your mould in BRASS,IRON or ALUMINUM pluss YOUR choice of noses?

Well said!
Now we know Lyman and RCBS are headed for irrelevant in the casting world.

Clay M
02-27-2015, 06:49 PM
I believe I have become addicted to Accurate Brass molds..I am familiar with the negatives, but can easily work around them..Probably the best mold I have ever used..
and yes, I am will to pay for them..

BrassMagnet
02-27-2015, 07:19 PM
I believe I have become addicted to Accurate Brass molds..I am familiar with the negatives, but can easily work around them..Probably the best mold I have ever used..
and yes, I am will to pay for them..

So what are the negatives?
I, too, have become addicted to brass moulds. I don't know what the negatives are with the exception of softer than steel like aluminum! Are there other negatives?

osteodoc08
02-27-2015, 07:24 PM
I, too, have become addicted to brass moulds. I don't know what the negatives are with the exception of softer than steel like aluminum! Are there other negatives?

Not that I can think of. And I wouldn't necessarily call them negative, just operating characteristics.

My last several molds have been brass from NOE, Accurate and MP. Love them all.

Clay M
02-27-2015, 07:44 PM

When you pre heat them on a hot plate you just want to make sure you don't get them too hot..I use a casting thermometer and set the Hotplate coils for about 325 F.Never allow a brass mold to become severely overheated.. That can warp..

.22-10-45
02-28-2015, 02:04 AM
While it would be nice to have some of the old Ideal/Lymans back..I wonder even if they did resume production if those old graceful flowing ogives and lines would return? Now everything is CNC and straight angular lines seem to have become the norm..true the old designs probably don't shoot any better..but I prefer e'm so much I buy the old ones.