PDA

View Full Version : Gun Show find, minor gloat

jhrosier
10-10-2009, 08:40 PM
I took a quick walk through the gunshow in Springfield, MA this morning and stumbled on to a good deal.

A fellow had 4 NOS Lyman double cavity moulds for $15 each.:D

I have been looking for a mould for the .41 mag for a while so I snapped up a 410459.
There is a bit of light rust on the outside of the blocks and a few light freckles in the cavities but it looks like it will clean up easy. Kind of a shame though because it is obviously a brand new mould.

There was also a 130 gr .30 caliber and a .429 wadcutter mould for the same price but they were gone a few minutes later when I woke up and went back. :violin:

Jack

Jack Stanley
10-10-2009, 08:47 PM
Congrats on the buy but sorry to hear the loss of the others . With a deal like that , I've been know to buy a firearm to fit the mold in question .

Enjoy the one ya got !!

Jack

jhrosier
10-10-2009, 10:07 PM
Y'know, I was temped to buy all four at first and flip them for a profit, but that would have kept someone else from stumbling over a great deal...

No regrets. What I saved on the one that I got covered my gas, admission, and parking for the show.:-D

The even better part is that I'm on vaca for the next nine days.......

cast, load, shoot, repeat [smilie=w:

Jack

Dennis Eugene
10-10-2009, 10:12 PM
Y'know, I was temped to buy all four at first and flip them for a profit, but that would have kept someone else from stumbling over a great deal That's about the nicest thing I've read here in a while, reminds me why I keep coming back here. Dennis

Three44s
10-10-2009, 10:24 PM
Either way you won!!!!

Congrats on your find ............ (My two .41's could use a mold like that as well ........ maybe I better rethink my bias against gun shows???)

Three 44s

trk
10-10-2009, 10:25 PM
That's about the nicest thing I've read here in a while, reminds me why I keep coming back here. Dennis

Yea. Especially when you know you have to be fast to beat the greedy people! :)

mike in co
10-10-2009, 11:07 PM
well at a show the begining of this year, i did see four moulds for a great price....and yes i bought them alll....even tho i did not need all of them. i figured some one here could use them ...so i sold 2 of them on the for sale forum.. the third went to the site donation forum......

so buying them all is not always a bad thing to do.........

mike in co

jhrosier
10-11-2009, 12:38 AM
It has become such a rare thing to see anything at the local shows at a good price that I had to ask the seller to repeat the price of the mould. I thought that I heard him wrong.

The main reason that I bother to go to the shows is to buy powder and primers at a better price than the local gun shop offers. The savings used to cover the expenses of gas, parking, and admission. The primers are now up to $38/K at the show so I might just as well support the local gunshop for the same price. None of the powders that I generally use were available except in 8 pound containers. That's just too much cash to lay out at one time. I've got about a year's stock of each so I will just watch the prices and hope for better times coming.

I have also been looking for a reasonably priced .380 Walther PPK for a while now. It seems that "reasonably priced" and "PPK" are seldom found together.
I looked at a Walther PPS but it has the ergonomics of a brick and the aesthetics of a plastic ashtray. Yuck! James Bond would be mortified to be issued such a clumsy looking pistola.

I have, in fact, bought more new guns in the last couple of years than used ones. I don't mind a used gun at all, but when the prices for used are within 15% of new prices, I will buy new. I stopped in to the local gun shop last week and he quoted me 20% off retail for a new Ruger Single-Six Hunter so I ordered it on the spot. It will be my Christmas present from my wife so I hope that it arrives in time.:grin:

Jack

ghh3rd
10-11-2009, 12:47 AM
Went to my first ever gun show a few months ago, which was here in Tampa. It is sure an interesting experience the first time! I picked up a few small things that I needed and had an enjoyable afternoon.

I used to live in Chicopee, and in Springfield (Kieth St.) - left Springfield about 35 years ago and have had a Florida tan ever since.

Randy

jhrosier
10-11-2009, 01:02 AM
I used to live in Chicopee, and in Springfield (Kieth St.) - left Springfield about 35 years ago and have had a Florida tan ever since.

Randy

Randy,

Don't hurry to come back. Things have gotten pretty bad for MA gun owners in the last ten years. You wouldn't feel at home any more, having to register with the Criminal Systems Board to be a gun owner. Right now we are in a separate category than career criminals and sex offenders, but that is subject (and likely ) to change without notice.

Jack

qajaq59
10-11-2009, 07:09 AM
This is like old home week. I grew up on Lake Lorraine in Indian Orchard, which is part of Springfield. Now we're in Florida where we shiver if it gets down to 60 degrees. Getting old can be a drag. :drinks:

armyrat1970
10-11-2009, 07:20 AM
I may have to start visiting the shows again. After the primer shortage and the weird things I was hearing that happened at the shows I never even went to any of my local ones. It may be starting to get back to some sort of normalcy.
Good find and I hope that mold works out for you.

bullshot
10-11-2009, 07:36 AM
Jack
I was also at the Springfield show Sat. Not a whole bunch of stuff that excited me but I always come home with something. Show sure has changed over the years. I remember when you could save a few bucks on reloading gear in the ammo tent. Guess like everything else, those days are gone.

qajaq59
10-11-2009, 07:56 AM
I went to the one in Melbourne FL 3 years running but never bought a thing. Then I just gave up on the shows. The prices were so far out of line that it was silly. I had just bought a K31 for $140 with tax, and the ones they had at the show were $265.

jhrosier
10-11-2009, 09:26 AM
This is like old home week. I grew up on Lake Lorraine in Indian Orchard, which is part of Springfield.....

There are a half dozen or so guys that I have bumped into here who lived around this area at one time or another. Most are happy being elsewhere.;-)

The New England winters quit being fun when you get too old to enjoy swinging a snow shovel. And then there is the political climate, which has become chilly for gun owners all year around.

Having lived in Ill-Annoys in my youth, and here in MA for the past forty years, I have never experienced decent weather or decent gun laws. I've heard rumors about both, however.
My wife has been suggesting a move for several years. Tennessee and Kentucky are possibilities, probably after retirement and if the housing market turns around so that we can get a good price for our home.

Jack
I was also at the Springfield show Sat. Not a whole bunch of stuff that excited me but I always come home with something. Show sure has changed over the years. I remember when you could save a few bucks on reloading gear in the ammo tent. Guess like everything else, those days are gone.

bullshot,
The Marlboro show has been better than Springfield for several years.
It would add about an hour to your drive though.
I used to go down to Glastonbury, CT when they had the shows in the high school. Are there any shows in CT that would be worth the drive from central MA, for me?

... The prices were so far out of line that it was silly. I had just bought a K31 for $140 with tax, and the ones they had at the show were $265.

I think that the days of cheap milsurp are gone forever.

I was surprised when I recently traded a nice Swiss K31 and an equally nice Swedish 1938, for a S&W 624 and a S&W 625, even up! Then I saw the prices that are being asked for these rifles nowadays. I suppose that it is an example of a fair trade when both guys figure that they have robbed the other.:lol:

I was with a friend yesterday, who hadn't been to a show in 8 or 9 years. He was greatly encouraged by the current prices as he is considering cashing in on his military rifle collection.

Jack

canyon-ghost
10-11-2009, 09:35 AM
Having lived in Ill-Annoys in my youth, and here in MA for the past forty years, I have never experienced decent weather or decent gun laws. I've heard rumors about both, however.

Sounds like you seriously need to venture south to Texas or New Mexico. In Texas, our category is still well above average.

qajaq59
10-11-2009, 09:59 AM
My wife has been suggesting a move for several years. Tennessee and Kentucky are possibilities, probably after retirement and if the housing market turns around so that we can get a good price for our home.
TN, TX FL and most of the southern states are a far cry from what you have in MA. Up there you have to deal with taxes, liberals and snow.
We were lucky. We sold the house when the prices were still up. Then we traveled the country in our motor home for the next 8 years visiting a good portion of the National Parks. Then 2 months ago we found a friendly small town here in central Florida that was just right, so we bought a home here. We'll still travel, but not full time. Of course before we looked at any homes here I checked with the local leos to make sure there were some rifle ranges. LOL

mike in co
10-11-2009, 12:51 PM
I have also been looking for a reasonably priced .380 Walther PPK for a while now. It seems that "reasonably priced" and "PPK" are seldom found together.
I looked at a Walther PPS but it has the ergonomics of a brick and the aesthetics of a plastic ashtray. Yuck! James Bond would be mortified to be issued such a clumsy looking pistola.

I Jack
me thinks the ppk's are going pretty high ..500-600 or more

may i suggest you look at the p64............polish mil/police 9mak ppk size, all steel, chrome lined bore, loaded round indicator, adjustable rear sight, safety/decocker...cocked and locked capable, no snag design.
the 9mak has about 10% more energy than a 380, hornady makes xtp ammo and bullets.

the p64 will need the mil springs replaced. wolff makes them. an increase in recoil and a decrease in main. i used a 20lb recoil. there is a hammer spring but did not use it.

mags are available...$20 each.

the really good news....current price is .................(drum roll pleae.......)

$160.........

get friend in on the deal and spread the shipping costs, buy the spare mags at the same time.

mike in co