PDA

View Full Version : Follow-up on seating checks.

trooperdan
04-23-2006, 11:26 PM
I had some really good tips in response to my earlier lament and here is "the rest of the story".

First I annealed a can of Hornady .30 checks, turned them ugly black! Them I rummaged around and found I owned a lee .311 sizer. Well, sizer it might be but better than that it is a check seater!

I lubed up a couple hundred boolits with liquid alox and ran them through the Lee, just to seat the checks.. Worked a wonder, it did! All I had to do was have the check south of the boolit and it went on neat as a pin! Then I ran them through the Lyman sizer nee luber to add some red angel and I am a happy boy tonight! Sure, it is an extra step but worth it to me.

Not sure how the annealing worked in this solution, surely didn't hurt any and didn't cost much!

Thanks for the help guys!

JDL
04-24-2006, 08:49 AM
trooperdan,
You can get rid of the black after annealing by boiling them in vinegar for about 5 minutes and rinsing in water. -JDL

Trailblazer
04-24-2006, 08:58 AM
I opened a new box of Hornady checks yesterday while sizing some 30 caliber bullets and guess what? They don't fit! The checks in the last box went on nice and easy. The new ones shave lead when forced on. Guess I will have to cook this box and flare them or something. One more step in the sizing operation!

dragonrider
04-26-2006, 12:02 AM
Trailblazer
Once had that problem, find a ball bearing that is large enough in diameter to rest on the rim of the check but not hit the bottom, then tap it.

imashooter2
04-26-2006, 07:29 AM
I opened a new box of Hornady checks yesterday while sizing some 30 caliber bullets and guess what? They don't fit! The checks in the last box went on nice and easy. The new ones shave lead when forced on. Guess I will have to cook this box and flare them or something. One more step in the sizing operation!

I had that problem with some Hornady .35 checks. When I annealed them the problem went away. I could not believe the difference. Give it a try.

When I anneal, I put the checks into a large close nipple with some crumpled white paper. Screw a couple of caps on the ends a loosely by hand and toss the pipe in the fireplace. The paper chars up and uses the oxygen inside the pipe so the checks don't get all corroded. They turn a nice purple color.