PDA

View Full Version : Turkey ammo?

buck1
04-23-2006, 10:29 PM
This is out in left field but I value your advice , so ....
I am going to go turkey hunting for the first time with a buddy.
I have a Ruger Red label O/U12 GA with 3 " chambers.
What shot /shell size do I want to hunt with?
I do not do much scatter gun hunting, but I have not eaten wild turkey yet. I hope it eats better than it drinks LOL! ....Thanks,....Buck

357maximum
04-23-2006, 10:49 PM
First of your wong about the liquid version of wild turkey, you apparently just did not consume the required amount to aquire the taste for it.

Secondly turkeys are not all that hard to kill, couple of pellets in the head, neck and they are done (or a bunch in the body). I don't know where the hard to kill notion got started, but I have personally killed them with 12, 20 and .410 and with my bow. They are just a big bird with good vision. If it were not for their vision we would only know them by the fossil records, they sure ain't smart or super in the hearing department. They ain't made of kevlar either.

Any heavy load of #4, #5 will do the job if ya smack em in the noggin..

Johnch
04-23-2006, 11:24 PM
I would patteren one of the 2 oz turkey loads
Rem , Win , Fed and a few others make good loads , the trukey loads are desinged to patteren tightly .
Stick to full or tighter tubes .
If you have 2 Full tubes or a super full use them .

I beleive Rem still has turkey sight in targets on their web site , free to down load

#6 shot puts more pellets in the patteren , but the range they will penatrate enough is limmited to about 30 yds ( depending or the load )

I preferr #5
It will penatate enough to do the job at ethical ranges and puts more pellets in the patteren than #4.
But some guns patteren #4 better , check yours before you head out .
It may not put the densest part of the patteren at point of aim .

I have a shotgun with a red dot sight set up just for turkey , I will be heading into the woods in the AM to try my luck .
I shoot Hevi Shot . (reloads)
But it is $$ and if you can get them called in close enough , not needed .

Wild Turkey ( liquid) is not my favorit , but if you are pouring , I will take 3 fingers and a few ice cubes , Thank You

Johnch

buck1
04-24-2006, 12:12 AM
Thanks guys!
And dont get me wrong on the liquid, Its the next day I have trouble with! ....Thanks again! ,,Buck