PDA

View Full Version : Is 2400 dirty?

cropcirclewalker
04-23-2006, 08:56 PM
For the last few months I have been playing with BlueDot and lots of different cast boolits in .30-06, .30-30 and .303 Brit.

I finally slugged my .303s and ended up with .3144. Even my Lee TL 312 160 2R doesn't drop that big so I tried my Lyman 319247 sized down to .315.

With bluedot and around 1400 fps those boolits didn't want to group. Maybe 2 1/2" at 50 yds. My bird feeder will never survive that level of accuracy. Since the 319247 is a shuetzen plain based boolit, I an reluctant to push it to much more than 1400fps.

So, I tried some 2400.

Viola! She worked.

The first 5 rounds over the chrony clocked in at avg 1420 fps. The next 5 rounds at 50 yds grouped at .85". I thought I had a keeper.

The next 7 or 8 rounds held POA most acceptably. I have some of those 8 1/2 x 11 targets where the bg is standing behind the babe and holding the pistol on her and she is making the most awful face. 50 yds, I would put one in his eye and one in his crotch.

We are talking serious bird feeder loads here.

Then they start to wander. I put one in the babes forehead. Not good.

I peer down the bore and it looks like I am getting fouling. It looks like powder fouling. I cleaned the heck out of the barrell with Hoppes and a brass brush. It was black.

So I clean the heck outa the bore, take her out and try again. Now it's grouping at like 2 1/2" again.

A little help here?

My '03 Springfield has fired nothing but Blue Dot for the last 6 months, never cleaned and when I look down that bore, it's as clean as a hound's tooth.

Is 2400 dirty? Can I push the 319247s past 1400 fps?

They talk about shuetzen shooting to 200 yds. What would be a max velocity or do I just have to figger it out myself? Should I go back to the Bluedot and speed it up?

I yam in on the fatter 30 group buy and am looking forward to a big 30 that I can shoot with a gas check. In the meantime.....

Who thinks what?

454PB
04-24-2006, 12:35 AM
I've never used 2400 in rifles, but I gave it up long ago in my handguns, due to the dirty/incomplete burning characteristics. I've recently been experimenting with WC820 in my cast rifle loads with excellent results, and it's close to the same burn rate as 2400.

Maven
04-24-2006, 11:18 AM
ccw, I guess it depends on how much 2400 you use and whether it's of the new formulation (Alliant) or the old. I've used it (Hercules) in both the .45-70 using Lyman's starting loads for a Springfield Trapdoor and found it to be rather clean burning. Ditto CB loads in my SKS (14-16gr.). As the previous poster mentioned, WC 820 has a similar burning rate to 2400 and works well* in fairly large capacity rifle cartridges, e.g., English & Metric .30cals.

*accurate & clean burning in higher doses, e.g., 18gr.

straightshooter1
04-24-2006, 02:49 PM
I use 16 grains in 30'06 and 16-20 in 308 w/both cast and condoms and have not found it to be dirty at all.

Bob

lovedogs
04-25-2006, 08:59 PM
My experience with 2400 has shown that it's dirty if you aren't pushing enough pressures. Maybe it doesn't burn well or completely that way. But if I use a good, stout load it burns really clean. I haven't noted any difference between old and new lots. I doubt they'd change anything in their formulation as it could cause problems and they'd get sued by someone if it caused any damages.

cropcirclewalker
04-25-2006, 10:56 PM
Yes, the pound of 2400 that I loaded from is less than 2 weeks old. I bought it at the Bass Pro Shop in Columbia, MO in April 2006.

Alliant.

Today I bumped the charge to 1.0 on my Lee Micro Disk.

Since .9 on the md weighed in at like 11 grains, I suspect that 1.0 would be higher. Please do not take my measurements as like, bible.

I clocked the first 5 rounds through my chrony

1629, 1604, 1568, 1552, and 1555.

I suspect that the first few weighings may have been suspect due to the fact that I just turned the knob up to 1.0 and that prior to my loadings, I had done a lot of sizing. (I have a turret press so what I do before I drop a charge makes a difference)

I suspect that 1.0 md lee Micro Adjustable amounts to like 1550 fps with a .303 Brit with a Lyman 319247 sized to .315 and using Alliant 2400.

The Lyman 319247 is a shuetzen plain based bullet at like 165 grains. Sized down to .315 should not affect it's weight.

It may be just me but it looks like this charge is burning cleaner that the original .9 md load.

I peered down the barrell after firing 19 rounds and it looked, yes, it looked cleaner that the bore had been before I started.

Shooting my Bluedot loads is clean and I love to look down the bore of a nice, clean barrell.

This new souped up charge of 2400 looks like the bore is cleaner with out the sense that I got leading.

Maybe a few more rounds and check the bore for leading.

YMMV. [smilie=1:

gbair
04-26-2006, 11:35 AM
I've been using 2400 in my 14" 30-30 Contender w/ 2.5 X 7 TC scope. Starting load of 16 grs. behind a Lee 170GC F. I worked up to the best load at 17.5 grs. Beyond 17.5 grs., the groups opened up. Bench accuracy of 1" and less at 50 yds on my good shooting days. The barrel remains clean after 50 rounds and the accuracy is great! It's the best powder I've found so far. However, after reading previous posts, I'll look into WC 820. I'm always looking for new loads to try. Will the WC 820 do well in 30-06. I saw a mention that it works better in larger cartridges?

Regards,
Greg

Dale53
04-26-2006, 02:08 PM
Cropcirclewalker;
The "Hot set up" for schuetzen, today, is driving a .32 caliber bullet weighing 215 grs at 1400-1550 fps (plain base lead bullet) for competition at 200 yards. There are people using other methods but that is a winning recipe. Powder of choice is #9, H108, or WC 820. Rifle primers are definitely indicated for smaller SD's and better target performance.

Dale53

Maven
04-26-2006, 02:13 PM
Greg, I now use WC 820 almost exclusively in all my rifle cartridges (.243Win. -> 8mm Mau.) with CB's and am quite pleased with its performance and economy. In the .30-06, I use either 18.5gr. (starting load) or 21.5gr. and have seen no pressure signs at all and only a bit of smudging of the case necks. If you have a pistol powder measure and know exactly the weight a given cavity will throw with a specific powder, you can use it to charge your cartridges.

cropcirclewalker
04-26-2006, 02:36 PM
Where could a body procure some WC820?

Dale53
04-26-2006, 05:10 PM
Here's one source:

http://www.patsreloading.com/patsrel/prices.htm

It is recommended that you go together with others (or make a large order yourself) to split the hazmat fee.

Dale53

bradh
04-26-2006, 05:37 PM
You can get three flavors of WC820 at www.gibrass.com

gbair
04-26-2006, 10:34 PM
Maven,

Thanks for the info on the WC 820.

Greg

Bear Claw
08-12-2006, 11:54 AM
My o3a3 loves 18.5 gr of 2400 under a C/B, and I have had no probs w/powder fouling at all w/that loading, I use 2400 a lot ie. 7.5 swiss, 06 springfield, 8mm, 7.62x54 M-N and for me it was the best compromize for one powder to use in all these rifles w/ C/B's.

2400 and my 96 swede dont get-along too well as that swede likes a slower burning powder...

Please understand I am no x-pert, I am just cheap and was looking for a multi-use powder for many diff. rifles w/C/B's and with condom's I do use diff. powders altogether..I shoot light cast loads at 100yds most of the time and from a bench as well, So as they say " Your results may vary" And what works for me might-not work for you...........

Ps: I love this board, lotsa smart folks here-bouts:-D

Char-Gar
08-12-2006, 01:30 PM
Crop... Here is what little wisdom I have on the issue

1) I have not noticed 2400 leaving more residue that others powders of it's type.
2) What your have may be bullet lube residue.
3) Neither one or two make a damn, just shoot and enjoy.
4) If you are truly picky, just clean your rifle.
5) The whole matter is a non-issue.

StarMetal
08-12-2006, 01:46 PM
Charger,

I disagree about 2400 not leaving anymore residue then other powders. It definately does and I certainly know unburned powder or residue. 4227 is another one that does too. And it not the reloaders fault or any problems with his reloading techniques. Old Skeeter Skelton talked about 2400 leaving residue and especially that it should only be used in magnums with long barrels to burn it up. He disagreed with that, he said all of hardly ever gets burned up and he said he got really good results using it in short barreled handguns, so have I. Now I'm not talking about enough trash left behind like in the Katrina storm, but more then other powders.

Joe

felix
08-12-2006, 02:00 PM
then = time reference
than = comparative reference

Joe, you are constantly confusing the two terms. Is this your current trademark? ... felix

Char-Gar
08-12-2006, 07:44 PM
Joe... Joe.. Of course you disagree, because that is your nature! How do I know? Because we are more alike than not. I would feel my post was ignored if you did not find something to pick at :-). Now please refer to point/number 5 in my original post for the bottom line in this matter. I like you Joe, because, you are dependable...truly dependable! :-)

Yours Truly... The Rev. Dr. Charles Graff, Esq. (B.A, M.Div. D. Min., J.D. , DD.) and all that meaningless crap!

P.S... I just had a fine steak and a good glass of wine, and I am very, very happy with life.

I disagree about 2400 not leaving anymore residue then other powders. It definately does and I certainly know unburned powder or residue. 4227 is another one that does too. And it not the reloaders fault or any problems with his reloading techniques. Old Skeeter Skelton talked about 2400 leaving residue and especially that it should only be used in magnums with long barrels to burn it up. He disagreed with that, he said all of hardly ever gets burned up and he said he got really good results using it in short barreled handguns, so have I. Now I'm not talking about enough trash left behind like in the Katrina storm, but more then other powders.

Joe[/QUOTE]

StarMetal
08-12-2006, 07:53 PM
Charger,

I like you too, I really do. We are probably dead alike. I know we shoot alot of the same "older" powders.

You're right, it is a non-issue. For a really really dirty smokeless powder (not for pistols or revolvers) try surplus 5010. Oldfeller (me too) refer to it as the black powder of smokeless powders.

Felix,

My current trademark is I'm a riddle wrapped in a mystery cloaked in an enigma.

Joe

NVcurmudgeon
08-12-2006, 09:02 PM
0n average, I burn about eight pounds of 2400 every year. At 16.0 gr. that is 3500 rounds a year. I use it for nearly all of my cast rifle loads in these cartridges: 7X57 Mauser, .30/30, .30Remington, .30/40 Krag, .30/06, 7.65X53 Mauser, .303 British, 8X57 Mauser, and .35 Whelen. I agree with Chargar's comments in post #15 100%. I frequently allow a rifle to go without cleaning for 200 or more rounds, and do not see that the barrel is especially dirty when I do get around to cleaning it.

Bass Ackward
08-12-2006, 09:36 PM
I read an article while I was still in the military that I can't recall where I found it. In that article, they talked about government contract classes for powders. Years ago the contract speed known as WC820 was a very broad contract. Powder companies could bid on this contract offering any powder between HS-7 on the fast side down to 4227 on the slow end.

Then the government tightened the contract standards. As a result one powder met the new standard. That was AA#9 which is why you see so much of it now being pulled from stock. And I believe that some HS-7 is floating around listed as a "fast batch" of WC820. Strangely enough Europe adopted the same contract standard but added the kicker that the powder must cut metal (copper) fouling. They added that to all their contracts for small arms.

So all of a sudden Hogdgen is out in the cold and they come up with H-108 which meets this new requirement. Alliant says that 2400 is too dirty and needs cleaned up, but it mysteriously was speeded up and danged if it didn't become contract eligible for the 820 class. Add some tagament for bore fouling to act as a lube and cut metal fouling and whamo, it qualifies for Europe's specs too.

So when someone says that a ball powder is burning cleaner than a stick powder of roughly the same speed which just flies in the face of common logic, in this case they might be right. Because this is older powder before the fouling requirement.

Now guess why Hogdgon came out with H-112? Yep, to qualify for the next contract class slower which was also narrowed. And they told you it was for the reloaders benifit too. The government market drives powder sales and excess production is sold to the civilian market to keep the plants operating.

Billwnr
08-13-2006, 10:54 AM
I shoot 2400 in my 1903 Springfield and notice the POI migrates starting and the groups get bigger starting about 25 rounds. I clean and it goes back to where the rifle is sighted in for.

I shoot in the CBA military competition so POI and small groups are important for me. I clean between relays.

2400 is a very accurate powder in my rifle.

XBT
08-13-2006, 11:08 AM
I use 2400 in all my cast rifle loads with very good results. If it’s dirty, I have never noticed.

Using 2400 in revolvers I get some unburned particles in the barrel, so in those I changed to a faster powder.

StarMetal
08-13-2006, 01:41 PM
XBT stated exactly what I was trying to say. I had meant in revolvers, so it looks like someone else found the same results I did, in revolvers.

Joe

Char-Gar
08-13-2006, 06:34 PM
Billwrn... It is not uncommon for the point of impact to wander a mite as the barrel accumulates fouling and it gets hotter. That is why we don't start a match with a clean barrel and hopefully we can fire a couple of "fouling shots" to warm the barrel a mite.

How do you know your increasing group size is due to the powder and not some other factor like the lube, barrel heating and bedding pressure, or shooter fatigue? All of which are known causes of groups getting larger as shooting continues.

I have shots lots of 2400 behind cast bullets and have not observed groups to open up after a couple of dozen shots.

swheeler
08-13-2006, 10:29 PM
Bass , what makes you think Hodgdon held or holds any military contracts, they have never made any powder- except Pyrodex? The powders marketed by Hodgdon, were all military surplus numbers, when the stockpiles of surplus ran low Hogdon contracted manufactures to make it for them, Olin-win did all the sperical numbers, Hogdon just picked the lot speed, same as the surplus they had been selling. Or did I miss something in your post?
Scot

StarMetal
08-13-2006, 10:34 PM
I'll have to tag along with Scot, only powders I'm aware that Hodgdon makes is the Pyrodex line.

What info do you have Bass?

Joe

swheeler
08-13-2006, 10:49 PM
I also believe the "first" powder he offered for sale was Surplus 4895(read IMR 4895)He purchased 50K pounds of it from Uncle Sam ,150 pound kegs were 30.00 plus shipping, and the first spherical powder he ever offered was BB Ball(1952?) WC852 NW- of course we still buy iy as H380, and thats Olin-man, then there were the extruded from Scotland up till 1990 or so , then the new EXtreme lines made in Australia.

Billwnr
08-13-2006, 11:21 PM
Billwrn... It is not uncommon for the point of impact to wander a mite as the barrel accumulates fouling and it gets hotter. That is why we don't start a match with a clean barrel and hopefully we can fire a couple of "fouling shots" to warm the barrel a mite.

I have shots lots of 2400 behind cast bullets and have not observed groups to open up after a couple of dozen shots.

This is after the 5 fouling shots. It takes that to get the gun shooting to POI. About 25 rounds and groups open up and the POI starts to migrate upwards. It can slowly move up to 3 inches. After cleaning and the fouling shots it goes shoots to the original POI.

This rifle does not shift POI during matches. Usually to shoot 40 shots for record I end up with 85-95 shots fired downrange.

I clean it between each relay.

Bass Ackward
08-14-2006, 07:35 AM
Bass , what makes you think Hodgdon held or holds any military contracts, they have never made any powder- except Pyrodex? The powders marketed by Hodgdon, were all military surplus numbers, when the stockpiles of surplus ran low Hogdon contracted manufactures to make it for them, Olin-win did all the sperical numbers, Hogdon just picked the lot speed, same as the surplus they had been selling. Or did I miss something in your post?
Scot

Scott,

I know about Hogdgon and about years ago.

I was using the existance of H-108 as an example. It was really how to focus on why 2400 changed burn rates and burn properties. How old was 2400? Can slower powders burn clean? Unique was claened up without materially moving it's burn rate. Then why was 2400 speeded up? That was my point.

StarMetal
08-14-2006, 08:27 AM
Bass,

You made it sound like Hodgdon made some of their own powders. Did you change your tune or did we interpret your post wrong?

About the new Unique. I've been shooting Unique for over 30 years. When they changed to a slightly cleaner burning formula it DID change the burning rate. Very little, but still a change. It's a tad faster. My standard 45 Colt load, for my Ruger Blackhawk, is the 255 RCBS SWC over 9.0 grs of Unique. It was a nice mild, but not wimpy, plinking load. Out of my Smith Model 25 it gave between 900 to 1000 fps. Well with the new cleaner Unique the 9.0 had become alittle more then a mild load, it has gotten some oomph to it now. Not in the magnum class mine you. I've also noticed a change in my 45acp load too.

Joe

NVcurmudgeon
08-14-2006, 12:51 PM
Scott,

I know about Hogdgon and about years ago.

I was using the existance of H-108 as an example. It was really how to focus on why 2400 changed burn rates and burn properties. How old was 2400? Can slower powders burn clean? Unique was claened up without materially moving it's burn rate. Then why was 2400 speeded up? That was my point.

Bass, I don't know why 2400 was speeded up. Understand that it was created for the then-new .22 Hornet cartridge and the name refers to the sensational velocity obtainable using the new powder. That would make it a product of the early thirties.

swheeler
08-14-2006, 03:50 PM
John, got ya. I don't know why 2400 was speeded up, actually I didn't know it was. My understanding is that it was created for the then newly released 22 hornet and the number 2400 stood for the velocity atainable from this cartridge.

Scot

StarMetal
08-14-2006, 04:04 PM
We're not talking about alot of speeding up, of course don't take much in the gun world with the pressures powders make. I think Alliant changed their formulas alittle when they changed to a cleaner burning powder. Use to be old Elmer Keiths 44 mag load was 22 grs of 2400 powder with a 240 cast bullet. Well, that still works today, BUT it's HOT!!! Not real real real hot, but hotter then when Elmer used it. Read my previous post about Unique, I'm positive it speeded up some too. Also with Elmers load if you substituted a bullet that weighed 245 grs that would have made his load alittle hotter back then too, when the 2400 was burning alittle bit slower. Maybe it's the deterrent coating they put on the powder, maybe they changed that to give a cleaner burn. I bet Alliant knows.

Joe

Bass Ackward
08-14-2006, 05:07 PM
Bass,

You made it sound like Hodgdon made some of their own powders. Did you change your tune or did we interpret your post wrong?

Joe

Joe,

We? You got a mouse in your pocket?

Understand that you don't have to manufacture something to bid on a contract. If you have the product (or rights to a product), you can always sub the work out should you win the contract. But if you are sitting there with only H110, you aren't in the game.

So yes. You mis-read again. Surely you don't think I could have been wron., .... wr..., ....w.r.o.., WRONG!!!!!!!!! :grin:

And just so you know Joe, Elmers load is duplicated pressure wise (34,000) from 19.7 grains of the "new" 2400. So 22 grains is slightly hot at a little over 40,000.

StarMetal
08-14-2006, 08:06 PM
Bass,

So with todays 2400 Elmers load would be 2.3 grains more then you need.

Bass I think you bait us into these traps you set by not giving the FULL details. Why didn't you say all that in the first place? We're too busy casting, loading, shooting, BSing, to figure all that stuff out for ourselves. :drinks::Fire:

Joe

NVcurmudgeon
08-14-2006, 10:18 PM
A friend, Hollerman, was in the habit of using Elmer's classic load in his robust Ruger Super Blackhawk. When he finally ran through his Hercules 2400 and switched over to Alliant 2400, he reported sticky cases and vigorous recoil. A two grain reduction made for a harmonious outcome. My main use of 2400 is in milsurp rifle loads. Pressures appear to be so mild in that application that I never noticed any difference!

Char-Gar
08-14-2006, 11:14 PM
A gunwriter (John Taffin) did some testing when the Alliant version of 2400 came out and found it took a 6% reduction in powder to give the same pressure and ballistics as the Hercules version.

That makes Elmer's loads of 22/Hercules 2400 into 20.68/Alliant 2400. I always found Elmers loads of 22 grains of Hercules 2400 to be a little to hot for some pistols, so I used 21 grains for many years. I now load 20/Alliant 2400 and do just fine.

I droped my standard .357 Magnum charge to 14.5/Alliant 2400 and the 158 Thompson GC bullet.

I don't have access to sophisticated ballistics testing equipment, but Taffin's 6% figure is good enough for most any purpose.

BruceB
08-14-2006, 11:35 PM
Amazing, how we often manage to arrive at the same conclusions, even though we're many miles apart.

I ran out of Hercules 2400 while still living in the Northwest Territories (late '90s). My tried and true .357 load in my 6" M27 S&W had been 15.0 2400 behind the SAME 358156 Ray Thompson design. That 15.0 load with new Alliant 2400 immediately gave sticky extraction, so I dropped it to 14.0 where everything was fine, and edged it back up to 14.5 grains, where it is still fine, easy extracting, and an all-round nice high-speed .357 load. Our four S&W .357s agree....!

Similar situations developed in our two Super Blackhawk .44s, and the one remaining runs nicely on 21.0/new 2400 behind the RCBS 44-250KT. We used a lot of H110 with 429244 boolits, and it worked very well as far as velocity and accuracy were concerned. (What a FLASH, though!) After our silhouette days were over, I reverted to 2400 because of its friendly nature and ease of ignition.

I dislke reducing my 2400 loads very much, and my reduced loads in both calibers use quicker-burning powders.

Bass Ackward
08-15-2006, 07:06 AM
Bass,

So with todays 2400 Elmers load would be 2.3 grains more then you need.

Bass I think you bait us into these traps you set by not giving the FULL details. Why didn't you say all that in the first place? We're too busy casting, loading, shooting, BSing, to figure all that stuff out for ourselves. :drinks::Fire:

Joe

Joe,

No. When I write I tend to assume people understand what I do. That's why I write so poorly. I wish that I had a better ability to express myself, but you all seem to figure it out.

And as some guys tell you, reduce the load. Quickoad says 19.7 grains. but seating depth can move that all over the place as you see others post different information. The important point is to understand one is different from the other. I still have and work with both so I have to be careful. But I still have about 8# of old Unique left and it loads same from my use. But I use it for lower stuff too. Nothing like a slabby where .1 grain would be noticable. Glad you said something. From everything I had read, it is interchangeable.