PDA

View Full Version : illinois handgun

stillwell
10-09-2009, 11:18 AM
i was looking at the illnois hunting regs for handgun hunting it says that i could use a bottle necked cartrige with a case linth of less than or equal to 1.4in. i cant seem to find such a cartrige. does any one know of it????

.45Cole
10-09-2009, 12:59 PM
.357sig??? what are you hunting, burglers b/c that's the only situation where a .357sig is going to work.

Potsy
10-09-2009, 02:27 PM
Wasn't there some guy necking up .25 WSSM brass to .358 to meet the regs a few years back in Illinois? For use in TC's and the like?
Just seems like I remember something about it.

GabbyM
10-09-2009, 02:42 PM
38-40 comes to mind and of course wild cat loadings are common in single shot pistols.
the 44-40 case is 1.305 long so it would look like that's where they drew the line.

Hickory
10-09-2009, 02:47 PM
Go to this link for more information.
I hope it works!

http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=106

2ndAmendmentNut
10-09-2009, 02:57 PM
1.4” length of the brass or 1.4” C.O.L? What do you intend to hunt?

stillwell
10-09-2009, 03:13 PM
brass lenght. i forgot to metion it has to 30 cal or bigger and a wheel gun or single shot. it would be mostly for deer. the link above is what i was looking for

2ndAmendmentNut
10-09-2009, 03:27 PM
Does the cartridge have to be a bottle neck?
If the cartridge does not have to be a bottle neck, lots of popular handgun calibers like the 357mag, 41mag, 44mag, and the 45Colt pack plenty of punch for a deer all with out using a brass case longer then 1.4”

stillwell
10-09-2009, 07:23 PM
no it does not if its straight there is no lenth restirions i was hoping to get 200 yards out of it. im thinking about buying a contender

Greg
10-09-2009, 11:52 PM
stillwell-

for Illinois if you want to use a bottle neck case look at the 300 Whisper, or the 30 Bellm.

300 whisper was designed by JD Jones, of SSK www.sskindustries.com

Corbon loads the 300 Whisper
https://dakotaammo.net/shop/product_info.php?cPath=22_54&products_id=82

30 Bellm was designed by Mike Bellm and Loaded by Danny Campbell of C&C in Benton IL. (618) 439-9053 C&C might have some Barrels in stock also.

if you plan reload for the Whisper, call Hornady, SSK, and Sierra for the load data. when you load, look real close at the Speer 125 TNT for this application. it’s a nice surprise.

300 Whisper barrels were made by Thompson Center and SSK.

Might want to look here for barrels www.edstc.com

Of course you can think along the lines of .357 Maximum or the 44 mag. But 200 yards is hard enough ‘I’ don’t think the straight wall cases will get you there.

legend
10-10-2009, 04:20 AM
30 benchrest might be just the ticket,easy to trim back to legal size.

my 2cents

Glen
10-10-2009, 11:08 AM
.357 Baines and Davis -- a .44 Mag case necked down to .357. Also JD Jones and Gary Reeder have a number of wildcats that fall into this category.

10-10-2009, 02:39 PM
Don't you just love the nitwitery of those who write these regs that appear to make it OK to hunt deer with a 7.62 Tokarev and not a .30 Herrett?

stillwell
10-10-2009, 03:58 PM
yes it is great i should have went to law school after hunter ed

GabbyM
10-10-2009, 05:26 PM
Don't you just love the nitwitery of those who write these regs that appear to make it OK to hunt deer with a 7.62 Tokarev and not a .30 Herrett?

For those of you who underestimate Illinois. We can't use CF rifles to hunt deer in this state since it wouldn't work out well in Cook County. That's why I've owned a muzzle loader since I was sixteen.

Legend may have a grand idea their with the 30BR. Just trim off 1/8” from the neck for the cases you'll carry in the field and be very careful not to get them mixed up. Stamp the barrel with some BS name. If upon careful reading of the law that wouldn't satisfies the letter. Since it may specify chamber dimension as I've never read it. You could wildcat a wildcat. Have your gunsmith ream the chamber short and cut down a set of Wilson 30BR hand dies to the new length. You could call it the 30-BR-IL or the 30-ILL. 30 BLAGO would be to funny. Just an Idea.

While you're at it you may as well stretch the neck length from .333” 30 BR length to 375” to better fit the Lyman #311299 bullet with it's .377 B.C. Hollow point some cast from a BHN #12 alloy and you're ready to knock down Bambi at 200 yards.

Loss of powder capacity from standard 30BR may not cost you much in a short barrel pistol since faster powders would be called for anyway. What's the barrel length limit?

jhrosier
10-10-2009, 08:26 PM
Sometimes the wacky state laws defy simple logic.
In MA, rifles or handguns of all sorts are legal for bear hunting but shotguns are not.
For deer hunting, shotguns are allowed but no rifles or handguns.

This must have made sense to someone.........

Jack

jeph83
10-10-2009, 08:36 PM
Barrel length minimum is 4"

Straight from my land owner permit regarding which rounds are legal

"The only legal ammunition for a centerfire handgun is (1) a bottleneck centerfire cartridge of .30 caliber or larger with a case length not exceeding 1.4 inches, or (2) a straightwalled centerfire cartridge of .30 caliber or larger, with no minimum case length; both of which must be available with the published ballistic tables of the manufacturer showing a capability of at least 500 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle."

I say get a 44 mag and go with that you'll be good to 100 yards easy. I know a guy that hunts a couple miles down the road with a Contender in 44 mag and got a deer at about 175 yards last year. Learn the wind and dope on the round and practice enough you'll get there.

I don't worry about distance that much though cause the longest shot I'll usually get is 50 yards.

GabbyM
10-10-2009, 08:42 PM
Sometimes the wacky state laws defy simple logic.
In MA, rifles or handguns of all sorts are legal for bear hunting but shotguns are not.
For deer hunting, shotguns are allowed but no rifles or handguns.

This must have made sense to someone.........

Jack

It probably made sense in the sporting goods company Lobbyist argument for said bills they wrote then handed to the politician after he was elected on their dime. Basically forcing a hunter to own multiple guns. When it comes to politics in the USA never forget it's usually money that's behind it. That or stupid blind fear of what's out their in the dark. So they turn up the lights which further blind them from seeing into the dark. Then they go inside to write a bill requiring their neighbor to install brighter light so they can see over their. Believe they call them street lights and almost everyone here in the USA thinks they are required for some reason. Where is Al Gore on that one. :shock:

GabbyM
10-10-2009, 09:03 PM
Barrel length minimum is 4"

Straight from my land owner permit regarding which rounds are legal

"The only legal ammunition for a centerfire handgun is (1) a bottleneck centerfire cartridge of .30 caliber or larger with a case length not exceeding 1.4 inches, or (2) a straightwalled centerfire cartridge of .30 caliber or larger, with no minimum case length; both of which must be available with the published ballistic tables of the manufacturer showing a capability of at least 500 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle."

I say get a 44 mag and go with that you'll be good to 100 yards easy. I know a guy that hunts a couple miles down the road with a Contender in 44 mag and got a deer at about 175 yards last year. Learn the wind and dope on the round and practice enough you'll get there.

I don't worry about distance that much though cause the longest shot I'll usually get is 50 yards.

That could work in short order for the 30-BLAGO.

I may just know a class 6 FFL ammo manufacturer that would publish said data on the web. ;) He even lives in Illinois. :lovebooli

Loaded ammo could be purchased from a web site or store front. Not cheap mind you but it would be listed. Sort of like NASCAR rules isn't it.

We all know a 44 mag from a 14 inch barrel will get it done on white tails. But what's the fun in that? Then You want a hand gun to take on yotes and such small targets way out thier just because it's great fun.

leadman
10-10-2009, 10:23 PM
300 Whisper with 296 and a 125 Gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip is a good deer load that I have used.