PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with your?

44 mag nut
10-09-2009, 07:47 AM
Hi All,
After setting down last night to break in a new mold I happen to notice a pile of Zinc WW growing as well as the pile of WW clips. That got me to thinking do you just trash them or is there a market for them at the scrap yard? I have almost a full 5 gallon bucket full of the WW clips and maybe 10 pounds of Zinc WW. It would be nice to recover some of the cost of buying WW then next time I need some.

44 mag nut

qajaq59
10-09-2009, 07:53 AM
Keep saving the zinc and, when you get a good pile, buy a fishing weight mold then cast up a bunch and sell them to a local fishing store. So long as you're getting them for free, and you don't use your good pot, I don't see how you could go wrong.

DLCTEX
10-09-2009, 09:50 AM
The clips are steel and have salvage value, but at this time it is low and probably wouldn't bring enough to pay for the gas needed to haul them to the salvage yard. The zinc also has a salvage value. There was a thread lately about alloying zinc with pure lead for boolit making, so you may want to keep them while this is being worked out.

jforwel
10-10-2009, 09:03 PM
Some people who shoot small replica cannons cast their balls from zinc.

trk
10-10-2009, 10:35 PM
Some people who shoot small replica cannons cast their balls from zinc.

And SOME of us have 4" and larger mortars (some folks have 8" and larger) mortars that shoot zinc cannon balls. Take a look at the N-SSA board and gbocannons.com .

leadman
10-10-2009, 10:54 PM
I have some books from the 60s' that the authors cast bullets from zinc for short range practice.
Zinc is light so slows fast but needs no lube, use as cast.

Might want to save those just in case.

qajaq59
10-11-2009, 06:11 AM
And SOME of us have 4" and larger mortars (some folks have 8" and larger) mortars that shoot zinc cannon balls. Take a look at the N-SSA board and gbocannons.com . Now that sounds like fun, but how in the world did you find a spot to shoot those off?

armyrat1970
10-11-2009, 07:28 AM
If you are going to try and use the zinc weights for boolit casting you will have to mix a very small percentage with wws to get it done. A very small percentage. It just don't work for me and I don't want any zinc in my alloy.