PDA

View Full Version : 0.462" 6 shot group!

XWrench3
10-08-2009, 10:27 PM
so, the first 30 caliber cast slugs i run through my 300 win mag, have given me the best group the gun has ever fired. the p.o.i was about 7" low, but the group was just fabulous. and to top it all off, it was just some stuff i threw together to see if it would even hit the target. i used the lee scoops, put 2.2cc of sr4759 in, added a gas checked 160 grain lee boolit, and touched them off. i have yet to see if there is any lead in the barrel, but with a group like that, i really doubt it. this was @ 100 yards, after shooting 28 j bullets that were cranked up to hunting speed. i really was sighting in the scope, and thought i would bring these along for the ride. the group measured 0.771" outside to outside. and from what i read in the magazines, you are supposed to remove the bullet size from that equasion. so that is how i ended up with the .462. i do have a photo, but i have no idea how to post pics on this. i really wish i could learn how to REALLY use this thing:groner:!

JRW
10-08-2009, 10:34 PM
Great shooting!

I believe you! you got too many exacts there to be telling fibs! It is kinda frustrating to have to have some seven year old yard ape to come in here and show an old man how to use this thing! Once I retired from the agency, I gave up on most elctronic stuff, but have now gotten back into this stuff on a limited basis.

Keep up the good shooting, and we will look forward to seeing some photos at some point!

Gar
10-08-2009, 11:55 PM
Ain't life grand !
Just think how great your group will be when you actually measure your powder :^)

runfiverun
10-09-2009, 01:24 AM
he did actually. many ballistic labs measure powder volumne not weight.

Wayne Smith
10-09-2009, 07:46 AM
So what happened to the copper fouling? Congrats, now lets see if it was a fluke or if you can do it when you try. That's always the hard part for me!

XWrench3
10-09-2009, 07:51 AM
Ain't life grand !
Just think how great your group will be when you actually measure your powder :^)

yea, probably way worse! LOL! in any case, i will be making up some more of these, plus upping the powder quanity some, to see if i can make them usefull for something other than punching tiny holes in paper. i dont even want to think about trying to adjust my scope to compensate for 7" of bullet drop! i would probably have to get a new mount that was made for 1000 yard shooting.

qajaq59
10-09-2009, 07:57 AM
Fun isn't it?

lead Foot
10-09-2009, 04:04 PM
Well done Xwrench 3. This is the stuff that gets you hooked. One day a tiny group the next day not so good. Only good times ahead.
Lead foot;

XWrench3
10-09-2009, 07:31 PM
So what happened to the copper fouling?

copper fouling, now that i know, is an easy fix. a few 15 minute soakings in Sweet's 7.62 will cure that. followed by several patches of hoppes elite, and then some oil. now, if they only made a "solvent" that worked like that for lead.

35remington
10-09-2009, 07:57 PM
XWrench, you don't have to adjust your scope's zero for the lighter load. Use the duplex post below the crosshairs as the aiming point

Notice where the bullet hits in relation to the thick/thin junction of the vertical hair and duplex post. It helps to go downrange and mark the group center with an orange paster. Adjust power so this junction is superimposed on the group. Now you're zeroed (at that power only) without having to change the zero of your gun for the full power load. Use the thick/thin junction for aiming at the prescribed power.

My '06 shoots the Lee C113F Soup Can at 1550 fps on the thick/thin junction at 4.5X. I shot a lot of small game using that method without changing the zero of my deer or coyote load.

qajaq59
10-10-2009, 06:43 AM
When I was using one of my really light loads and my scope was set for the Js I would fire one round at a very small target and then walk out and put a target where the shot went. After that I simply aimed at the top target and than checked the group below.

armyrat1970
10-10-2009, 07:09 AM
XWrench3 the only thing I can suggest is get the same feel when using your Lee dippers. Dip them the same and scrape the tops off the same. Lee dippers work well and you have seen that by the loads you have fired. Consistant in dipping and scraping off the top of the dipper may even give better results.
Man that's good shooting.
I am doing an MSA shoot within the next couple of weeks with iron sights on my K98. Gonna use some surplus Romanian (my dot1943 shoots great with them) and maybe try some of my cast. If I can get 2" with the Romanian and 3" with my cast I will feel good. The old eyes ain't what they used to be.

Bret4207
10-10-2009, 07:39 AM
Ain't life grand !

By consistently dipping and striking the charge you are, in effect, doing the same thing the B+M powder measure does and no one will argue that is about as good a measure as there is.

Bret4207
10-10-2009, 07:40 AM
copper fouling, now that i know, is an easy fix. a few 15 minute soakings in Sweet's 7.62 will cure that. followed by several patches of hoppes elite, and then some oil. now, if they only made a "solvent" that worked like that for lead.

They do- it's called 4/0 steel wool or Chore Boy pad on a worn bore brush. Works even better dipped in ATF or Ed's Red.

That's some really fine shooting. The tricky part will be doing it over and over again.