PDA

View Full Version : Top punch number?

wallenba
10-08-2009, 03:39 PM
Does anybody lubisize with a Lyman or RCBS the Lee mold C309-113-F30? I don't have one thats close enough without deforming the nose, the meplat measures .226. Would appreciate a TP number, thanks.

qajaq59
10-08-2009, 03:42 PM
Most of the guys I know just make one with epoxy. But someone else may have a number for you.

badgeredd
10-08-2009, 03:54 PM
Does anybody lubisize with a Lyman or RCBS the Lee mold C309-113-F30? I don't have one thats close enough without deforming the nose, the meplat measures .226. Would appreciate a TP number, thanks.

On Castpics (link below) it says Lyman #8 is the one you need.

Edd

wallenba
10-08-2009, 04:03 PM
On Castpics (link below) it says Lyman #8 is the one you need.

Edd

I have the number 8, it smashed the nose pretty good. It pushes on the ogive, the meplat is too deep and not wide enough. I might order and try the RCBS #546 but I'm gambling now.

wallenba
10-08-2009, 04:07 PM
Most of the guys I know just make one with epoxy. But someone else may have a number for you. Do you know what kind of epoxy? Thought came to mind of using JB-weld and using a cut off .308 case neck over the TP as a guide, but how do you keep the bullet from sticking as it cures?

qajaq59
10-08-2009, 05:07 PM
Do you know what kind of epoxy? Thought came to mind of using JB-weld and using a cut off .308 case neck over the TP as a guide, but how do you keep the bullet from sticking as it cures? I found this in an old post.

Get your favorite bedding epoxy like Devcon or J-B Weld. Mix it up and fill the top punch. Put a heavy coating of Johnson's Wax, or whatever release you use when you bed your rifle, on the bullet.

Run the bullet into the top punch and wipe off the excess and let it set up. Problem solved.

Wayne Smith
10-08-2009, 05:38 PM
Hot melt glue is quicker. You can wax the nose of your boolit or use foil or wax paper, the fit is not as tight with the cover. Wax is almost a universal release. I made a punch with a 1/4" bolt that I cut down and use as a flat punch. Works for most boolits except the true round nose ones. Even works well with hollow point boolits.

wallenba
10-08-2009, 06:04 PM
Thanks guys, I'm gonna give that a try tomorrow. I've got JPW, but I'm going to try the JB-weld as I am familiar with it and think it might last longer than the glue.

10-08-2009, 07:25 PM
wallenba,

Tried hot glue once...wasn't too long until it came off. No problem with epoxy. I coated the boolit with Kroil.

Will
10-09-2009, 12:23 PM
I use the punch for the 311291. It deforms the nose slightly but not enough to create a problem.

Hurricane
10-09-2009, 12:53 PM
I just use a wadcutter top punch ( Lyman # 495) for all my bullets both pistol and rifle. The flat nose boolits are no problem. They may have the flat nose made a little bigger, depending on how hard the boolit is, but I consider that a good thing. On round nose boolits there may be a small flat tip but I like it. Accuracy is not affected. Getting a bunch of top punches for each mold will add up to a lot of money that you could use better elsewhere, say for primers or lead.

wallenba
10-10-2009, 10:12 AM
I just use a wadcutter top punch ( Lyman # 495) for all my bullets both pistol and rifle. The flat nose boolits are no problem. They may have the flat nose made a little bigger, depending on how hard the boolit is, but I consider that a good thing. On round nose boolits there may be a small flat tip but I like it. Accuracy is not affected. Getting a bunch of top punches for each mold will add up to a lot of money that you could use better elsewhere, say for primers or lead.

Question would be...does it have a small enough diameter to fit in the .308 sizing die? What is the diameter of the #495?

MT Gianni
10-10-2009, 06:46 PM
Question would be...does it have a small enough diameter to fit in the .308 sizing die? What is the diameter of the #495?

The answer to that is no. I use a 1/4" bolt with the flats turned off by a bench grinder.

Wayne Smith
10-11-2009, 04:11 PM

Maybe yes, depending on the length of the boolit. For a short boolit I just ground the bolt head to fit.