PDA

View Full Version : Mould question.........

cmh
10-08-2009, 12:03 PM
Hello, have a Lyman 575213 AR mould. Now I have found info on several different lyman moulds this size but can find no info on anything with the AR on the end of it. Any ideas? Shooting a WM. Large barreled Richmond rifled musket (8 lands/8 grooves). Would greatly appreciate nay help. Thanks, Craig

10-09-2009, 05:42 PM
Who knows? But the question begs the obvious. Just cast a few bullets with it and weigh and measure the bullets- then compare to your bore specs. If you don't have the bore and groove diameter of your bore... slug it.

jim4065
10-10-2009, 01:00 AM
I believe that the 575213 is made in two versions - old style and new style (Lyman has a gift for these things). The AR probably refers to the manufacturing date, to the cutter that opened the cavities, or some such bit of esoterica. It should slide in without much pressure at all until the bore becomes fouled - when it will get a bit more difficult. Enjoy! :D

Buckshot
10-10-2009, 05:29 AM
...........The 'AR" has nothing to do wit the design of the Minie'. It's a code having to do (probably) with the cherry. Maybe the supplier? ANyway, there are 3 Minie' designs carrying the 575213 number. You can go to the Lyman website and see them. The 575213 old style, which is the lightest, the 575213 Improved which is heavier ( I think 520 grs?) and has wider drive bands and narrower grooves, and finally the last. This is the 575213 PH.

In this case the 'PH' stands for Parker-Hale. This is the heaviest of the 575213's. It weighs 566grs and has a shallow bas cavity and was intended for the faster (48") twist muskets. It is simply the Improved Minie' that has had the base cavity plug shortened.

I have four 58 caliber rifled muskets. A P58 Parker Hale 2 band, and two Zoli Zouaves. One of which I made into a facsimile artillery/cavalry carbine, and a Colt Artillery carbine or short rifle. The Colt requires a larger Minie' (.585") I had to get from Raphine. However a Minie' the other 3 shoot just as well as the Lyman is the Lee 505gr. It's main attraction is that with it's captured base pin it is MUCH faster to cast with.

............Buckshot

cmh
10-11-2009, 12:40 PM