PDA

View Full Version : Lead fumes while smelting

vinnyg
10-07-2009, 11:00 PM
Lead fumes while smelting

Do you guys use respirators while smelting and casting bullets?

Thanks in advance.
Vg

HeavyMetal
10-07-2009, 11:42 PM
Most of the time no.

I do try to avoid any smoke that come of the pot casting or smelting, but as long as you stay under 850 degrees you will not put lead "fumes" in the air.

More important is to use gloves and wash your hands instantly after handling any lead based alloy!

Eating and smoking should be avoided at all cost.

The real danger of "Fumes" will come from your brass cleaner. This is where I wear a resperator or a very filtered mask set up.

John Boy
10-07-2009, 11:43 PM
Do you guys use respirators while smelting and casting bullets?
No I don't, but it is advisable to cast in a well ventilated area, preferably outdoors or if indoors (like a garage) - run a fan

As for 'lead fumes' there are no fumes from pure lead until it reaches it's boiling point of 3180 Fahrenheit. The fumes ones smells when casting are from the dross or flux in the lead which should be ventilated away from one breathing them

Bret4207
10-08-2009, 07:18 AM
No. I'm smart enough to stand upwind when smelting and there's no danger from lead when casting at normal temps. You're in more danger from not washing your hands after handling boolits.

qajaq59
10-08-2009, 07:36 AM
No, and it's not the lead fumes that I'd be worried about. It's all the crap on the wheel weights or scrap lead. Do it in a well ventilated area, or better yet out doors.

Gunslinger
10-08-2009, 07:55 AM
What i find by far the worts is the yellow smoke that come from melting range scrap? That smells like it could be hazardous?! Is it?!

And the tape on the back of the stick-ons... boy that smells awfull too!

10-08-2009, 09:40 AM
Nope. But then I have hearing problems related to not always wearing ear protection while working around jet engines.

snaggdit
10-08-2009, 09:53 AM
I "smelt" outside and stay upwind. I cast in my garage and have never had any issues with smells associated with casting. I do not have any venting but am careful to not smoke or drink until after I have washed my hands.

OutHuntn84
10-08-2009, 10:39 AM
ehh your fine look at the romans they drank water from lead cups that came from lead pipes every day their whole lives and they built on of the greatest civilizations while only becoming a little crazy. I think playing w/ lead in a non ventilated area if anything would improve your life. :kidding:

But really we know what lead can do to us. Not to sure about the other stuff that happens to get in there. I just make sure that I cant smell it and that there is air circulating and just to make sure I have the doc check me out every so often.
Just use common since: smoke bad + lungs no like smoke = DONT BREATH SMOKE! I figured that out and I had one of those lead paint cribs. ;)

HammerMTB
10-08-2009, 10:53 AM
Nope. But then I have hearing problems related to not always wearing ear protection while working around jet engines.

Do I ever know that feelin'! Add my story, too much shootin' with no hearing protection!
Now I hear the jet engines all day every day, and there's none around! :roll:

mdi
10-08-2009, 12:04 PM
No, and it's not the lead fumes that I'd be worried about. It's all the crap on the wheel weights or scrap lead. Do it in a well ventilated area, or better yet out doors.

Me too! The smoke from smelting junk lead may be toxic but you won't get the lead "fumes" until you reach a higher temp; 900 degrees or so. A lot of the "lead poisoning scare" is just political hype. Stand down wind or use a fan behind you and you'll be fine!

OOPS! stay UP WIND, not down wind.

Wayne Smith
10-08-2009, 12:04 PM
ehh your fine look at the romans they drank water from lead cups that came from lead pipes every day their whole lives and they built on of the greatest civilizations while only becoming a little crazy. I think playing w/ lead in a non ventilated area if anything would improve your life. :kidding:

But really we know what lead can do to us. Not to sure about the other stuff that happens to get in there. I just make sure that I cant smell it and that there is air circulating and just to make sure I have the doc check me out every so often.
Just use common since: smoke bad + lungs no like smoke = DONT BREATH SMOKE! I figured that out and I had one of those lead paint cribs. ;)

They also sweetened their wine with lead as well. Actually ingested rather large doses, at least in the upper classes.

OutHuntn84
10-08-2009, 12:10 PM
Actually ingested rather large doses, at least in the upper classes.
Maybe some of our poloticians should take this up again! lol

qajaq59
10-08-2009, 12:33 PM
Maybe some of our poloticians should take this up again! lol

They already have.... That's why we can't find any wheel weights!!!!:Fire:

snaggdit
10-08-2009, 01:54 PM
And why their decisions seem so dumb!

OutHuntn84
10-08-2009, 09:04 PM
now we know what's in obama's kool-aid

canyon-ghost
10-08-2009, 09:26 PM
I cast outdoors, in the carport where the air moves. I have melted down some lead with some arsenic to it, kind of makes you sick for a day or two. Most of the time, people could benefit from keeping the casting set up mobile, where you can take it outside and back in when you finish. I have seen a few indoor set ups with fans, still, they fill the room up with smoke occasionally. Rather be outside.

Hiaboo
10-08-2009, 10:09 PM
Nope... I smelt and stand upwind, and cast in garage under a kitchen hood hooked up to a 1/3 hp blower and just sucks it out of there. No lead fumes until it boils... Toxic stuff on it though probably not a good thing but honestly, you're probably just concentrating the toxicity you normally breathe in a week over a matter of a day if you're standing over the pot.. Scary.

BrianB
10-08-2009, 11:02 PM
I cast and smelt outside, no reason to take any chances. But, that hood vent sounds like a winner too.

wilddog45
10-08-2009, 11:18 PM
I wouldnt inhale any fumes from smelting WW's.So it is best to smelt outside or wear a mask or resperator.

Echo
10-09-2009, 01:59 AM
Not me. I render outdoors (did 120 lbs today), but cast indoors, in reloading room that used to be an outside storeroom. I don't use flammable flux in my furnace, just Marvelux and dry paint stirrer, so smoke is no problem, nor is lead fumes.

XWrench3
10-09-2009, 08:06 AM
when i am casting, no, i simply put a fan down wind of me, pulling any fumes away from me. for smelting, i have not been, but i am going to start. it seems that the wind where i smelt never comes from the same direction, and many times, it swirls. must be something about the placement of the house, fence, and garage affects the wind. i now have a respirator that i AM going to wear. i am sick (both litteraly and figuratively) of haveing a horse and nasty throat for 2 days after i smalt. i dont know if it is from the lead, or from all the other cra9 burning off. but whatever it is, it is not going to go down my throat anymore.

qajaq59
10-09-2009, 08:27 AM
XWrench, if you are horse and have a sore throat for days after smelting then I'd say a respirator is a smart move. You may be more senstive to the oil or whatever on the wheel weights then most of us are. But whether you are or not, wear it.

MT Gianni
10-09-2009, 11:28 AM
No "protection " used here other than being out of the smoke. I try to smelt ww not misc rubber stems, caps, rings and paper in the smelting pot. Sort first and smoke less works for me.

ghh3rd
10-09-2009, 01:17 PM
Do I ever know that feelin'! Add my story, too much shootin' with no hearing protection!
Now I hear the jet engines all day every day, and there's none around!

I used to shoot at an outdoor range when in my 20's -- seemed that no one was concerned with hearing protection, so I wasn't either.

Funny how the car radio was blasting the next day when I turned the key!

qajaq59
10-09-2009, 01:30 PM
In a way I was lucky. I started out shooting a 30-06 and a 300WM. Because of that, I started to develop a flinch almost immediately and bought a pair of ear muffs because of it. I wasn't too happy about it then, but 50+ years later I am.

sheepdog
10-09-2009, 02:55 PM
ehh your fine look at the romans they drank water from lead cups that came from lead pipes every day their whole lives and they built on of the greatest civilizations while only becoming a little crazy. I think playing w/ lead in a non ventilated area if anything would improve your life. :kidding:)

Its not about the amount of lead but how its absorbed. You can pass a solid bullet through your digestive tract and be fine but grind a teaspoon worth into your afternoon tea ans you might be peeing blood soon.