PDA

View Full Version : Finnish TKIV 85

John F. Lang
04-23-2006, 08:03 AM
I am looking to make contact with a member from Finland concerning parts for this rifle.
If there is a member out there that I could talk with about this rifle, please contact me here or send me a PM.

J. Lang

Frank46
04-24-2006, 04:21 AM
Lemme see, first off the adjustable trigger, then the scope mount for the reciver ring and maybe the bolt. John, yep I saw the article in shotgun news. You could probably do the bolt handle yourself if handy with tools. Looks like they cut a notch into the rib where the old bolt handle was and either pressed it into place. Could be tig welded. I think ATI makes a similar scope mount that was shown in the recent issue of shotgun news. Some sniper rifle isn't it?. There was a thread on surplusrifles.com in the moisin nagant forum about rebarrelling the moisins. But so far as I know there weren't any gunsmiths names mentioned who would do the work. The ATI mount only mounts on the front receiver ring like the finnish sniper. There is a smith that does sniper bolt conversions. They look exactly like the russian jobs with long turned down handle and ball at the end. His handle is the "boltman". You should be able to find him on the surplus rifle website. Hope this helps. Frank

Pystis
04-24-2006, 04:51 AM
John F. Lang,

In addition to what Frank46 wrote the action of TKIV 85 of is block bedded. The bedding block is hexagonal and is fixed between barrel shank and receiver ring. Unfortunately I donĀ“t have a blueprint, but I may try to get one.
The cocking piece is also shortened to make it lighter.

I got a chance to shoot these while in army. It was fun to shoot of the bipod, heavy to carry, but it shot very well. The scope on the one I shot was Zeiss Diavari 1.5-6x so the greater magnification was something I missed.

Finn45
04-24-2006, 05:09 AM
Ha, Jukka got this before me, but anyway... Sorry, I don't know much about these. I know that adjustable trigger mechanism made by Valmet would be super and bedding block would be good project for any sporterized mosin, but they are too scarce to look after. Last mention about original stock was that they too are all gone form the depots, one guy was saying he has one stock "on the know" priced 300E (grazy) and someone was wondering to have stock made by custom stock maker. Bolt handles are gone too, smiths use to bent them or replace them with new one when someone wants to scope his mosin. Last Valmet trigger I saw went near 200Euros in local auction site and bedding block without any markings was sold at 85 Euros and some individual was searching original one promising 100...150E... I have heard that enthusiasts are distributing drawings for the parts like bedding block. Gunboards has quite a few Finnish members (others too of course...) who know lot more than me:

http://www.gunboards.com/forums/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=1

Pics:

http://tietokannat.mil.fi/kalustoesittely/media/1113205476_IMG_7982.jpg

http://tietokannat.mil.fi/kalustoesittely/media/1113200598_IMG_7971.jpg

Bedding block from auction site (doesn't last for ever...):

http://riemun.huuto.net/auctionimages/a/7c/91faaebfa37ea6e9fc012e2b5b429-orig.jpg

John F. Lang
04-24-2006, 05:21 AM
Frank 46 and Pystis: Thanks a lot for posting a reply to my inquiry.

I am primarily intrested in the adjustable trigger. It looks extremely intresting and I am willing to buy one if someone can get one for me. I have tried several things on the original triggers and have several different factory triggers I'm looking at to modify but this would save lots of time if it is indeed available for purchase in Finland.

I have rebarreled the Mosin Nagant rifle several different ways and have had no problems with the conversion. I am a semi-retired gunsmith and have all the necessary equip. except a mill(Buckshot has been a great help when I need mill work).
The bolt handle conversion is easy with the Brownell Sporter Bolt handles and I did tig weld it as you(Frank) suggested. The barrels from a Rem. 700 in 308 Win. makes a great barrel blank ands the 7.62 x 54 reamer takes the 308 chamber out with a minimum on metal removal.
I,quite frankly, was surprised to see the front reciever ring mount on the TKIV 85 because since the bolt on this vintage reciever enters the reciever with the lug vertical then lays horizontal, the top of the reciever is the thinnest part of the reciever. To remove much metal there as in drilling and tapping, only serves to weaken the reciever.
It obviously works since they are having excellant results with this conversion.
The scope mount that I have on the MN that I use a lot for coyotes and other varmints carries a side mount by Weaver.
I've taken Mule Deer, Elk and Oryx(African Gemsbok) with this rifle and the 7.62 x 54 is an excellant round to work with.
However, I sure would like to find a good ajustable trigger to slap on the gun.
If i ever figure out how to post pictures here, I'll post pics of the conversion and some of the game I have taken with the MN.
Pystis, I saw the block bedding and was very impressed with the way they went about it. Seems to work great. I have done similar work with a cylinderical(?) section on the barrell of the Rem. 700 mounted in a 60 degree "v" block mounted in the stock forward of the reciever and held with a single bolt to let the action float. Works good.
Pystis, if you know where I might get one of the triggers mentioned in the SG News article, I would really appreciate the info.
Thanks for the replys to my post. This is a great site for getting and sending information. Just a great bunch of folks!

J. Lang

Finn45
04-24-2006, 05:37 AM
Trigger and a bit different bedding block:

http://kotisivu.dnainternet.net/riude/kiv85%20laukaisukoneisto.JPG

http://img490.imageshack.us/img490/51/tak8510cp.gif

StarMetal
04-24-2006, 10:22 AM
Frank.....I think those bolt handles are fairly easy to make. Here's a sniper handle I made for my Finn 39, I think it looks just like the original sniper one too. The boltman isn't the only one that can make them.

Joe

Pystis
04-24-2006, 01:37 PM
Gee, Reijo,

Thanks for posting that picture of trigger assembly. If I somehow manage to finish my projects waiting, that mechanism would be one to think of. Do you have any larger pic of that sheet?

Finn45
04-24-2006, 04:39 PM
I already mailed an inquiry to the guy who "owns" that pic; will see if he replies. He should have drawings for the block too, maybe something else as well.

Very common way to modify the handle is to make it flush with bolts lug face and carve the stock accordingly; handle drops straight down and curves to the side. Right wing of the receiver bridge needs to be lowered some amount too.

Edit; It's bridge not ring; It's bridge not ring; It's bridge not ring; It's bridge not ring...

John F. Lang
04-26-2006, 08:30 AM
Thanks to everone for alll the information so far.
I have to be away for a couple of days but will check back ASAP with any info that I can come up with.
I have several actions and barrels(heavier contour ones) lying around the shop.

Just what I need!

Another project!

I haven't finished the Krag rebarreling yet and now........

Keeps life intresting.

J. Lang

Finn45
04-26-2006, 03:39 PM
Not very good picture, but clarifies some points I guess...:

http://pyssymiehet.com/gunstuff/tak85.jpg

John F. Lang
04-30-2006, 12:09 AM
FINN 45,

Thanks for posting the picture of the trigger on the gun .

It helps in seeing where the front spring attaches.

J. Lang