PDA

View Full Version : ..and don't say "Beef & Vegetables"

GRid.1569
10-06-2009, 04:29 PM
I'm wondering (nothin' new there then)...

When I'm on release for good behaviour - that's a brit on holiday in Florida - I often go into the "Bob Evans" diners and I just love that Veg & Beef soup...[smilie=w:

But no matter how much I promise to tip, the waitresses won't tell me what's in it...[smilie=b:

"Help me obi wan, you my only hope..." what is in it :?:

waksupi
10-06-2009, 08:11 PM
Send me a bowl, and I will tell you what is in it!

c3d4b2
10-06-2009, 08:58 PM
But no matter how much I promise to tip, the waitresses won't tell me what's in it

She probably does not know. I am guessing it comes canned and they open it and heat it up.

I do not know what is in Bob Evan soup or what it tastes like, but here is how we make it...

To get the flavor out of the meat for the broth we lightly flower the meet and then sear the meat in oil (high heat and enough oil to keep the meat from sticking) until it is nicely browned. (We use the stock pot we make the soup in to cook the meat)

Once the meet is browned we add flower to the grease to make a roue and then add the water.

If the soup does not have enough beef taste we will add some Tones Beef Base. Do not use bullion cubes as they are way to salty...

The vegetable part can be found here

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/garden-vegetable-soup-recipe/index.html

You can modify the ingredients to your taste

GRid.1569
10-11-2009, 03:48 PM
Do not use bullion cubes as they are way to salty...

What's bullion cubes? is that OXO? a cube for making beef gravy....

GSM
10-12-2009, 12:15 AM
Yes, OXO = bullion cubes (mostly salt). Might try Knorr brand or something that looks like a soft paste.

dominicfortune00
10-12-2009, 11:04 PM
When I used to work as a cook, when we made beef stew we would brown the beef and onions, then add the vegtables.

Instead of making a roue, we would mix up powdered beef gravy and just add that.

After cooking in the oven for a long while, it made a very tasty stew.