PDA

View Full Version : Just starting to cast

bz4736
10-06-2009, 11:56 AM
I'm just starting out in reloading and casting what all do I need for casting boolits?
I've got an old Lee pot and lead. I've casted fishing weights when i was younger, but now id like to cast boolits. Ill be casting for 38spl and 44spl/mag. Your advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

snaggdit
10-06-2009, 12:02 PM
First of all, welcome! I suppose you have ordered molds? Are you looking to start low budget or do you want to get set up well? Suggestions will change based on budget.

bz4736
10-06-2009, 12:04 PM
I'm looking to start out with just the basics "low budget"

snaggdit
10-06-2009, 12:18 PM
OK, well you got the pot and lead.
If the lead isn't already in ingots, you will need a steel or cast iron pot to "smelt" it into ingots. Don't use your casting pot to smelt in! Flux with wax or sawdust and stir with a wood stick then skim off crud and pour into ingots. A steel muffin pan will work for an ingot mold (let it rust and the ingots will come out easier). You will also need a steel ladle to pour the ingots. Make sure the ladle has rivets or is a one piece, no solder joint connecting handle to bowl. The thrift stores are your friend. So are rummage sales.
For casting, I highly recommend some Bullplate sprue lube (the Bullshop link at the bottom of the page). Get a few wooden paint stirring sticks to stir your pot. Some use kitty litter or sawdust on top of the pot to help keep in the heat. I use charcoal myself. The sawdust or charcoal helps flux, too.
Some use a hotplate to get the mold up to temp for casting. Wally World has them for under $15, but you can also just set the mold across the pot while it is heating up the lead. That's the basics. If I forgot anything others will chime in.

carpetman
10-06-2009, 12:19 PM
Get a Lyman manual--you'll need load data and it has good info about casting as well.

mdi
10-06-2009, 12:25 PM
http://www.lasc.us/ArticlesFryxell.htm

Lots of info there. Also get Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook for information regarding supplies/equipment before you spend any money.

Basically you only need a heat source (a Coleman stove; gas or propane), a lead pot (an old cast iron pot or pan), a dipper/spoon to fill the mold, a mold, and of course lead (wheel weights are a good alloy to start).

I started with a Coleman single burner propane stove, a home made lead pot, a Lee T/L mold, and a Lee dipper. I used Lee Liquid Alox for lube and a Lee sizer (Old hammer type). With this I cast a few thousand .44 cal. good boolits before I was told I "needed" something more sophisticated.

Start easy, learn as you go. No real "need" for high end melting pots or top of the line molds, or a whole bunch of specialized equip. (I still use a home made skimmer, and muffin pans and cat litter). You can add that later after you know what's best according to your needs.

Will
10-06-2009, 04:43 PM
You say you have lead. If it is pure soft lead you will need to harden it some with tin or lino or WW. Tin you can get from solder, Wheel Weights can be obtained several places and linotype from junk dealers or resellers on ebay. Lee molds are the least costly but can be easily dammaged because they are made of soft Al. Be careful of buying used molds from ebay; they are frequently worn out. MidwayUSA sells Lee molds for about $20 which is what most used ones on ebay sell for. Also be advised this is habit forming.

GRid.1569
10-06-2009, 05:09 PM
and check back here often...

This site rocks... lots of good advice from good people

Bill*
10-06-2009, 05:23 PM
Gloves and safety glasses aren't a bad idea either. And welcome to the addiction!

bz4736
10-06-2009, 05:42 PM
Ya gloves and glasses are a must. I learned that out the hard way. I was casting fishing weights and some had moisture on it. Water and hot lead bad mix. The lead went up about 3 ft and I've got a nice scar on my hand from it.

qajaq59
10-06-2009, 06:52 PM
Welcome to the forum and a great hobby. Notice all the guys mentioned "steel or cast iron" pots. Don't use an aluminum pot. It can fail from the heat.

HORNET
10-06-2009, 08:02 PM
Do a lot of reading in the Classics & Stickies section. Lots of information. A long sleeved cotton (NO BLENDS) shirt will help with those kisses from the tinsel fairy. Keep the pockets closed, maybe taped if they don't have flaps.