PDA

View Full Version : Good Cheap Chronographs, any suggestions?

lefty_red
04-22-2006, 10:03 PM
I'm about to make an order to MIDWAY for a smelting therometer. I was looking at their chronographs and wondering of any of the cheaper ones are worth it?

Jerry

:castmine:

454PB
04-22-2006, 10:34 PM
I've got one of the Chronys, have used it for several years with no problems. One suggestion with whatever chronograph you buy is to get one that can be reset remotely. At the range I use, the rules prevent advancing beyond the benches unless all gun actions are open and safe flags are posted. The other shooters get a little porky if you do that every shot.

Old Ironsights
04-22-2006, 10:44 PM
Chrony F1 (aprox $80) or Chrony Master (with remote - aprox $110)

Double that or more for anything else.

The Master also lets you download your strings to a PC for quick data manipulation.

montana_charlie
04-22-2006, 11:54 PM
If you go to the Chrony website and look around, you'll find a couple of good deals like trade in and upgrade opportunities. Another good deal is you can buy a remanufactured Chrony F1 for 50 bucks.

A tip on the remote reset...(as I understand it)...
All you need (even for the most basic Chrony) is a button, some two conductor wire, and a mini stereo plug to build a home-made 'resetter'. It will also make (even the F1) cycle through the other things like Averages and Deviations.
CM

robertbank
04-23-2006, 12:51 AM
Incidently something you should know BEFORE you order your Chrony is the current Canadian (dare I say World) record for shooting a screen support rod and hurtling it down range is currently 52 yards two feet 3 inches set by yours truly.

Lessor known disciplines are Midline Madness - where you shoot the Chrony center hit and the entire unit is sent down range to the more difficult Flying Wings event where the shooter competes to see how few rounds it takes to shoot one of the screens and send it down range. Bonus points for sending the rod down range with it.

I, to date, have only entered the first event but coming soon....

Take Care

biggome
04-23-2006, 01:44 AM
I'm rather fond of the cheapo Chrony F1. I have two and have managed to shoot both once, one with a 1" 22 Mag NAA derringer from close up, the other with a 3.75" 45 Colt from pretty far away, both survived fully functional though neither close up so well anymore.

Had they been more expensive I wouldn't have attempted to collect such valuable data from them but for what they cost I gave it a try with crossed fingers, that might explain the poor aim!

Paul

woody1
04-23-2006, 10:10 AM
Chrony Beta Master here. So far it's survived gas check dings, shotshell wad splatter (on the rods only), muzzle blast from unburned milsurp 7383, and being knocked over by wind and my yellow lab. Only difficulty so far was one light diffuser broken when the wind knocked the whole thing over. Rebuilt that with JB Weld and back in business. Regards, Woody

NVcurmudgeon
04-23-2006, 11:43 AM
robertbank, certainly your 52+ yd. launch of a screen support rod sets a high standard for all of us. May I say that your record gives us something to shoot for? (Groan) I claim destroying both Oehler Skyscreens with a single cast boolit, a record no doubt shared by many others. My early eighties vintage Oehler 33 has more than paid for itself by cowering on the bench where I can't get a shot at it, except for the screens!

cropcirclewalker
04-23-2006, 11:54 AM
If you go to the Chrony website and look around, you'll find a couple of good deals like trade in and upgrade opportunities. Another good deal is you can buy a remanufactured Chrony F1 for 50 bucks.

A tip on the remote reset...(as I understand it)...
All you need (even for the most basic Chrony) is a button, some two conductor wire, and a mini stereo plug to build a home-made 'resetter'. It will also make (even the F1) cycle through the other things like Averages and Deviations.
CM

That would be slick. Are there any specifics? Link? Instructions?

montana_charlie
04-23-2006, 01:03 PM
That would be slick. Are there any specifics? Link? Instructions?
Nope, but I think I can explain it...

I don't have (and never have had) a Chrony to look at. So, I have to assume that there is a little plug-in somewhere on the face of the thing. This would be a jack that takes a small stereo plug like on an "mp3 player". (I've never looked at an mp3 player, either, but that was the wording used.)

Connect the wire to a stereo plug which matches with the jack on the Chrony, and plug it in.

*Note - To me, the term 'stereo' means that plug should have three contact points corresponding to left, right, and ground. You may have to toy around with the connections to find out which two you need to be attached to.

With the Chrony operating, touch together the other ends of the wire.

If you have been doing some shooting, there should be some data to be 'managed'. As you continue to tap the wire ends together, you should see numbers corresponding to 'Hi, Lo & Average'; Extreme Spread; and Standard Deviation.

Naturally, holding those wire ends is going to keep both hands tied up, so an old telegraph key...or a more modern switch (perhaps a spring loaded button) would make things more convenient.

You ask, "Does this actually work?" I gotta say, "I dunno..."
I was told the Chrony F1 has the ability to display all of those things, but I have never used a chronograph of any kind.
CM

454PB
04-23-2006, 05:19 PM
Well with my Chrony, it isn't quite that simple. The cable between the display unit and the main unit is a Cat 5 cable, and plugs in via a connector nearly identical to the jack on your modem or telephone. I also have an older Competition Electronics chronograph that has the readout on the face of the unit. It's a great chronograph, but is reset by waving your hand over the start screen. Again, this is difficult to use on an organized shooting range, and from 15 feet, the numbers can be hard to read.

I've now owned five different chrongraphs, including two Oehlers, and have never shot one of them. Winged them with boolit lube and gas checks, but no direct hits!

montana_charlie....how can you live without a chronograph?:kidding: I learned more about handloading via my chrongraphs than any other implement associated with shooting:Fire:

Lee
04-23-2006, 06:46 PM
From my Chrony manual;
Remote Control for NEW F-1 Model and Alpha(with 1 button) USS $12.95
Remote control for Beta and Gamma (with 2 buttons) USS $19.00

Now for a fact the single button remote will work with a 1/8" mono plug(I've tried it), I don't know if a stereo plug will work or not. And the 2 button remote would have to use a 1/8"stereo plug(allows 2 wires and ground to operate)

Those of you who buy a "master" type chrony get the "phone cord" extension with the display and remote buttons/switches on a 15' cord. You or a buddy who is computer/telephone savvy can make up an extension cord to place the remote even farther away.

"Only the Beta and Gamma chronys have permanent memory, which allows the unit to be turned off w/o losing data."

My advice, buy the "master" type chrony, the convenience is well worth the extra $$$

My model is the F-1 Master, it has the remote display. I also have the printer option, which can plug into the display and records omportant data. I am completely satisfied with the unit.

Now the disclaimers; I've talked to quite a few folks who have had the same problems I have had, and not just with the Chronys, but also "some" other brands. The lighting has to be just about perfect or you burn a lot of powder to view "Err" messages. I am considering making a light box for mine so I have ideal lighting anytime, even at night!!! Your mileage will vary!!

Bragging rights, I've managed to hit the steel skyscreen rods both with a .480Ruger, and with a .454 Casull. Both rods are still going, presently out past the Kuiper and Van Allen Belts, much farther than any of you guys can claim[smilie=1: ................ I would respectfully suggest you do as I am going to do, and buy 1/8" diameter "WOODEN" dowel rod to support your screens. Lots easier on the electronics.......................
I also am constructing a "wedge" shaped steel front nose for the unit, as I have determined that it is a matter of time until I manage to drill right through the front/back of the electronics. Hope this helps, some...........................Lee:)

cropcirclewalker
04-23-2006, 08:06 PM
I set up my chrony on my slab which is under my deck. I clamp a shooting rest to one column, set up my chrony under a light fixture (incandescent) and shoot into a big log on the other end of the slab.

Next.........this is important.........at least fiscally responsible, line it all up with a .22 lr before you start shooting the good stuff.

1150 to 1250 fps also helps you to know that your chrony is working.

P.S. I took a look at mine and it has a jack. I stuck the plug from a walkman type head set into it and yes, it fits.

six_gun
04-24-2006, 11:18 AM
I have been using chronys for the last 20 years. One thing I would warn anyone in buying one is that they do sometimes attack the shooter, when this happens, the only thing you can do is to place a quick shot dead center and hope it will stop the charging chrony before it mauls you. This has happened to me, not once but twice in the last 20 years. Luckily, I connected on the first shot both times and the chrony went down immediately without harming me.

Thankfully, the Chrony company is aware of the fact that their chronys will sometimes get overly aggressive and have set up a program where you can turn in your dead "Shotup" chrony and get a good deal on a replacement. I feel that this is very understanding of the company, since most of the customers who have to turn in a dead chrony probably been shooting at the crony for a period of time and the chrony finally gets mad enough to charge. How would it make you feel if someone was sitting there taking shots at you, trying to see how close they could come to your eyes, without hitting you? You may get mad enough to charge also, so I think most of the attacks are provoked.

Anyway, I include shooting over a chrony in all of my load development.

Sixgun

montana_charlie
04-24-2006, 02:45 PM
montana_charlie....how can you live without a chronograph?:kidding: I learned more about handloading via my chrongraphs than any other implement associated with shooting:Fire:
454PB,
Since you asked a question directed squarely at me...I will answer as completely as I can.

I started handloading (with a Lyman 310) in 1968. Didn't buy a press until the year after the Lee Turret came out. Even with the press, I neck sized everything except for .357 Mag.

During my reloading career, I managed to have 'dependable' handgun ammo and 'accurate' (sub-MOA) rifle ammunition for every firearm I owned. The loading manuals told me where to start, and my targets told me where to quit. Warm-blooded critters confirmed the information supplied by the paper targets.

Since I was totally consumed by the quest for accuracy...and didn't give a hang about velocity...I ignored the existence of the chronograph. I figgered it was just a tool for the guy who wrote the reloading manuals...so he had a number to put in that column.

Now, I have a Sharps-pattern rifle with it's 'half-mile reputation'.

The importance of 'consistent' velocity on bullets traveling that far is not lost on me. Additionally, my general reading seems to indicate that using a chronograph can help find the 'sweet load' for these finicky guns...with less time spent absorbing recoil.

That aspect alone is enough to turn my head.

Since August (when my Sharps interest was spawned) I have witnessed several long-time BPCR shooters withdraw from the firing line...and forums...as a result of their addiction.
It seems as though 'Sharps rifles and crossed sticks' shares a property I thought only belonged to horses. That is, "If you mess with them long enough, you will end up a cripple."

So (now), I am looking into the chronograph as a tool I might benefit from...even though I still don't write reloading manuals.

That is how I came to be so well-informed about the 'phone plug trick' for the F1 Chrony.
CM

lovedogs
04-24-2006, 03:38 PM
cropcirclewalker had a good idea with shooting something cheaper first to get things set and working, but I can go one better. I take along a BB gun and use it. The ammo is cheap and I don't need to clean up a powder-burning gun when done. I keep a Crosman around the house for stray critters and it's no trouble to throw it in when headed to the range. Oh, in case anyone wonders, 10 pumps on a Crosman yields just over 500 FPS.

Bucks Owin
04-24-2006, 04:09 PM
I've got one of the Chronys, have used it for several years with no problems. One suggestion with whatever chronograph you buy is to get one that can be reset remotely. At the range I use, the rules prevent advancing beyond the benches unless all gun actions are open and safe flags are posted. The other shooters get a little porky if you do that every shot.

The "Shooting Chrony" works for me too. Cool thing about 'em is that you can start with the "bare bones" F1 version for $75 and get started. Later, if wanted, you can add the bells and whistles like remote, printer, lights etc.....

The accuracy seems fine and except for a few farts now then with the screens on semi cloudy days, I've been satisfied with mine...

Dennis

HOT TIP: The Chrony's box fits a in a 250 rd Cal 30 ammo box perfectly with enough room left for a tripod adapter. :wink:

montana_charlie
04-24-2006, 04:46 PM
with enough room left for a tripod adapter. :wink:
Tripod? I was just going to hang it from the end of my bayonet.
Then it can be used for shots at running game...

JeffinNZ
04-24-2006, 06:14 PM
I have had good results with my Chrony down here at the bottom of the world even after it was hit by a patch from the muzzleloader and a gas check ex .223!!!!! Still, an electronics whiz of a friend had to replace the crystal in it to make it go again.............[smilie=1:

I have since made a Lexan face cover for it to ward off any future strikes......

:drinks:

J

454PB
04-24-2006, 10:35 PM
454PB,
Since you asked a question directed squarely at me...I will answer as completely as I can.

So (now), I am looking into the chronograph as a tool I might benefit from...even though I still don't write reloading manuals.
CM

And I hope you know I was just "jabbing" you. All my early gunnie heros never got closer to a chronograph than their visits to the ballistics labs. I did the same as you for my first 10 years or so. My first chronograph had gold printed screens that were good for one shot and cost around 10 cents each, which meant each shot cost 20 cents just for screens. You then used a binary counter and converted that number into fps.

I quickly learned to be skeptical about everything I read, and the availability of cheap and accurate chronographs did more to improve honesty in the ammunition industry than any other event.

I'll bet once you own one, it will open up a whole new world of learning and experimentation for you. I don't write reloading manuals either, but I have a wealth of information about MYguns.

omgb
04-24-2006, 11:06 PM
I have the F1 master Chrony and love it. Unfortunately, it does not love 12 bore BP slug loads. Ahh, but being the foresighted genius that I am, I bought the optional plexi guards. Good thing too because an over powder card wad or a lube cookie at 1200fps really makes a mess of a naked Chrony. Also, get some 1/8" dowels and replace the steel rods with them. Muzzle blast from a Big Boy can hurl the screens into the next county so break-away rods are an excellent way to limit that travel.:mrgreen:

Bucks Owin
04-25-2006, 02:50 PM
Tripod? I was just going to hang it from the end of my bayonet.
Then it can be used for shots at running game...

If you pick cloudy days for hunting you won't even have to use the "sky screens". They can get in the way of your vision as you're figuring out your "forward allowance" on that running shot...... :-)

Dennis

A little British lingo there... :roll:

And if I would have written "lead" you might have thought it was "led" instead of "leed"...... :oops:

(Sorry, too much coffee) :D

montana_charlie
04-26-2006, 09:11 PM
And I hope you know I was just "jabbing" you.
Yup...I knew. And I didn't find it to be uncomfortable. I just used the jab as an opportunity remind myself of why I don't have one...and to convince myself (a little more) that I should-oughta get one...
CM

Uptickk
12-02-2013, 02:31 PM
I know this is a dated thread but was wondering what chronographs people are liking these days? I will be mainly using it for developing pistol loads.

waco
12-08-2013, 07:21 PM
Chrony F1 (aprox $80) or Chrony Master (with remote - aprox $110)

Double that or more for anything else.

The Master also lets you download your strings to a PC for quick data manipulation.

+1 on the F-1 Chrony.

Beekeeper
12-09-2013, 11:47 PM
Even thoI fear I will be laughed at I researched chronys for a couple of years, watched others use theirs and saw some falacies in all of them .
That said I bought the Magneto-speed style chrony.
It works great , you do not have to go down range to set it up or change anything.
It does give a little different reading as the chrony is at the muzzle instead of 15 feet or more down range.
When you are finished with it the complete unit fits in a plastic pistol case, Mine was a 45 cal case.
A little more expensive than the regular chrony but after shooting one and buying a new one you pay for a magneto-speed.

beekeeper

blikseme300
12-10-2013, 06:50 AM
Beekeeper,

No laughing at you here. The 2 problems with the Chrony Master is that it cannot be used in certain conditions & locations and that it sometimes becomes the bullet catcher.

The Magneto-speed looks interesting but appears that it cannot be used with auto pistols. The up-side is that you can use this at indoor ranges where the setup of a traditional chrony is not allowed.

I think I found my Christmas from me to me gift. Thanks for the mention as I had no idea this product existed.

Beekeeper
12-10-2013, 10:09 AM
It comes in 2 styles an F1 and F2 as I remember.
Basicly the only diference I saw was the case so I bought the cheaper one and installed it in a pistol case versus cardboard box.
I ordered it and it was at my door 6 days later.
So far it has worked flawlessly. The instructions are a little short "or so it seems for an old guy like me"but if you play with it you will find it will give you everything a trypod mounted one will.

beekeeper

Rustyleee
12-10-2013, 10:18 AM
Chrony is all I need.

Chuck_ls
12-14-2013, 12:26 AM
I bought a Chrony F1 at a garage sale a few months ago. Good to hear that it was a worthwhile find. I will check out their web site as I might want to upgrade. Thanks.
Chuck

ndnchf
12-14-2013, 05:44 PM
I just looked and Amazon has the Chrony F1 Master for $95. What a coincidence, my son just asked what I want for Christmas:-P

David2011
12-17-2013, 01:05 AM
The Competition Electronics ProChrono has served me well for 7 years. It will record 9 shot strings of up to 99 shots and gives all of the standard stats- Hi, Lo, Avg, Std Deviation, Extreme Spread, number of shots for about $120.

David

hermans
12-17-2013, 08:52 AM
If you only want to know more or less what the muzzle velocity is and don't mind some added frustration thrown in for free, then a Chrony will do. If you are looking for accurate consistent readings shot after shot, then you need something like the CED M2 with infra red lights above the screens.
There is nothing like a Oehler 35, but I believe that they are not producing them anymore, though I heard that they will be available again soon?