PDA

View Full Version : True Love

Rio Grande
10-05-2009, 11:02 PM
I'm reading Davy Crockett's autobiography.

You know he was a good shot and loved a good rifle. Apparently the first he bought was when he was 18 years old..."I had by this time got to be mighty fond of the rifle, and had bought a capital one. I most generally carried her with me whereever I went..."

He married Mary 'Polly' Finley in 1806, but when he was 'courting' her he found he needed a horse to make visits. A horse wasn't an easy thing for a young man to buy those days, and Davy contracted to work 6 months to get "a low-priced one"! But he was in a hurry to marry I guess, and by "putting in my gun with my work" he paid it off.

Now men, that is True Love. :violin:

Potsy
10-06-2009, 07:23 AM
6 months work for a cheap horse? I might work half a day for a good one. If Davy were alive in Tennessee right now, he'd find alot of free ones without too much trouble.

Are there any surviving rifles or accurate descriptions of Crockett's guns? Has anyone tried to build any depictions of them? Or, for that matter, Daniel Boone's?

northmn
10-06-2009, 07:38 AM
Daniel Boone had more than one gun as I believe his brother was a gunsmith. He went into one wooded altercation with a fowler. These people were famous enough so that it is hard to track down whether the rifle is actually theirs. It was said that Bat Masterson bought Colts and sold them for a nice profit as a gun carried by Bat Masterson. Geronimo sold 40 some hats that way. While Crockett and Boone did not do that, there was money in their names. However Caywood claims to ahve a replica of Crockets first rifle. He had another presented to him and the one at the alamo is in Texas. Some of Boones rifles are hard to authenticate as they were signed by his brother to be built for other shooters.

Northmn

Boz330
10-06-2009, 08:26 AM
Supposedly one of Boone's rifles hangs behind the governors desk here in KY. This is kind of funny since Boone always felt like KY had screwed him over in some land deals which is why he moved to Missouri.

Bob

cajun shooter
10-06-2009, 10:34 AM
First thing is the cheapest thing with buying a horse is the price you pay for it. Of course back in Davy's time he did not worry with grazing and ferrier work. No one knows for sure where the guns from the Alamo are. Marriage is a lot different these days too. Now if we have a disagreement we get in the car and leave. In those days they had to work it out. I'm sure that Mary never had to scold Davey for coming home late from the office either.

jim4065
10-06-2009, 10:51 AM
Supposedly one of Boone's rifles hangs behind the governors desk here in KY. This is kind of funny since Boone always felt like KY had screwed him over in some land deals which is why he moved to Missouri.

Bob

I believe that Alan Eckert wrote in one of his books that when Kentucky conned Missouri into returning Boone's body, the family pulled him out of that coffin and substituted the body of a slave.

madcaster
10-06-2009, 02:48 PM

Bob

Yeah,the state did,and he sure did not want more to do with it.Some he unwittingly brought upon himself by surveying,but not doing the paperwork on the claims,and was sued for.
But he was a man who DID try hard to be honest.We could use so much mopre of that nowadays.