PDA

View Full Version : first run - N. O. E. .314SP129Gr.

bgokk
10-05-2009, 01:28 PM
I finally got a chance to clean and break in the NOE .314SP129Gr., 4 cavity mold that I received on 8/7. Cleaned it with break cleaner and vigorous scrubbing with a tooth brush. Put it on the hot plate to warm up while the 50/50+tin in the Lee BP pot melted. After the melt was fluxed and up to about 800* I started casting all boolits were wrinkled or not filled out. I cast 30 or so and all went back in the pot.

Decided to change the alloy as I thought the pointy boolit will probably be used for plinking and paper anyway.

While I was emptying the pot I let the mold cool down and cleaned it again with BC and several Q-tips. I refilled the pot with COWWs and after all was up to what I thought was casting temp started to cast. The mold started putting out great boolits. I got the thermometer and put it in the pot and found that the melt was at almost 900*. I cast for about an hour or hour and a half for a total of 190 good boolits and maybe 10 which did not fill the cavity all the way.

Here are the stats: Maker/N.O.E.; Mold/129 grain SPITZER Sks/AK; Stated Weight/129 Gr.;
Actual Weight/134.5 Gr. Avg.; Stated Dia./.314"; Actual Dia./ .314-5"; Length/.858"; Alloy/COWWAC. The weight is as cast, no lube and no GC.

I would post a pic but for some reason photo bucket wont allow me to use my name or emailaddress.:killingpc

20nickels
10-21-2009, 07:07 PM
I would be interested in load data and velocities with this boolit if anybody has tried it yet.