PDA

View Full Version : Pyrodex CTG in a .54 ML?

Gray Fox
10-05-2009, 12:20 PM
I have been given an unopened 12 lb. case of Pyrodex CTG grade, l F equivalent. I know I'll never use all this in my .45-70 and was wondering if anyone has ever used it in a ML, specificly a .54. I have a TC Hawken with a 48" twist and a Lyman Great Plains with a 66" if it makes any difference. I'd be shooting .530 balls in both and home cast TC maxi-balls or maxi-hunters, both about 430 grains.

TCLouis
10-05-2009, 07:55 PM
and tried it in my muzzleloaders.
Even tried it with a FFFG kicker charge.

I gave it away to a friend to sell at a gun show.

rob45
10-05-2009, 11:20 PM
I used to have a T/C Big Boar (58cal, 26" brll). I could not get it to work well unless I used a very heavy slug (550grn and up). Even then I got better results with RS.

Being the equivalent of 1F, I suspect that it will only work well with very large bores such as found in the muskets and shotguns. That usually means 69cal and larger. Just like 1F, it needs lots of room (through bore size and barrel length) to work to its potential.

I do know that it was favored by the BPCR crowd, but I have no experience in that area. Maybe the fact that it was enclosed in a cartridge case helped?

Try it out, and if you don't obtain acceptable results, you can always sell some. CTG is no longer made, and I have no doubt SOMEBODY shooting BPCR will be happy to get some of it.

BBA
10-08-2009, 09:47 AM
It might work if you can find the nipple that takes a 209 shotgun primer. I haven't seen one lately.