PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

Lawnjockey
10-05-2009, 10:18 AM
I just registered after lurking forever. In my line of work everything is done slowly so the image isn't destroyed. Some people may think being a lawnjockey is boring work but it is not. Because I stand so still most do not notice me. Some do and I especially like it when I see a woman of the liberal persuasion walking up toward the front door with her vallium induced smile. One look at me and that smile perches up like a sphincter. Guess we know who she voted for.

Enough fun and games, from my view point as an all seeing being I don't like what I am seeing out there. Since I have plenty of time to think about things it only seems like a matter of time before there are taxes and surcharges on our reloading components as well as purchase limitations and registration of purchases. Thus casting makes more sense now than ever. Since I do everything slowly I have been secretly reading about casting for some time. I slip off into the bushes with one of Mike Venterino's books or the Lyman Casting Guide every chance I get. Nobody is the wiser as I know when they go to work or school and the lawn guy is always too stoned to notice I am gone.

I have also been seeking out tools, I have a mould and handles on order as well as a ladle. I am looking for a cast iron lead pot since cap and trade may make resorting to an open fire viable. I am going to start by casting for my 45/70 rolling block. I know it is a big gun foor such a little guy, but remember I am made of iron and don't forget it.

I must admit I am nursing a wicked hangover this morning. I slipped into the garage and hit the anti freeze again last night. Then like a fool I ordered four Dominoes pizzas in a manic moment. So here I am feeling nasty covered with dew and pizza sauce. The pizza boxes have been torn up and strewn around the lawn by the neighborhood dogs and coons (racoons). To make matters worse some high school kids walked by this morning and one looked right at me and said "I'm going to put an Obama mask on that thing for Halloween". What next?

Enough rambling. I am particularly interested in casting under primitive conditions cause it seems like we are heading that way.

Thanks for letting me share some about the secret lives of lawnjockies. You will never look upon us the same.

Jocko

Lawnjockey
10-05-2009, 12:08 PM
As usual, I am being ignored. Must be a racial thing.

Jocko

Lawnjockey
10-05-2009, 02:43 PM
Could it be my breath?

Jocko [smilie=p:

Nate1778
10-05-2009, 02:46 PM
Not ignoring, I just shot the head off my parents Lawnjockey when I was a kid. Just didn't know if you were back seaking revenge. I still fear the Barbie Isle, my sis says they will get even...........

Lawnjockey
10-05-2009, 03:06 PM
Well I am sure there is a special place in Hell for people who do things like that. On the other hand you were just a kid so I guess you are forgiven. Like they say, "mighty white of me" and all that sort of stuff. Lets put bygones behind us.

You would regret your actions if you knew how much collectors were willing to pay for vintage lawn jockies. Look on e-bay and I see only up from here as long as we have the current occupants in the Whitehouse.

Back to casting, I have been reloading for decades but casting is new to me. Range lead is probably going to be my main source since it seems like wheel weights will be drying up and I am sure the EPA will put restrictions on lead for civilian use once they figure out what people are using it for. It will probably become like buying bulk fertilizer after Oklahoma. Remember what they tried with surplus brass?

As I see it the fewer lists I am on the better. I want them to see me as a mindless statue like they see their followers.

In regards to range lead do I control the hardness by adding tin or pure lead to adjust to the desired hardness? I assume the weight of the boolits will vary with each batch of lead even if the hardness is the same due to different alloys going into to the pot, is this correct? If so, then I should make the largest batch possible so I won't have to resight in so often.

Enough for now, things are starting to spin again.

Jocko

waksupi
10-05-2009, 03:09 PM
I can say after running into you in chat, you are as nuts as the rest of us! Welcome aboard.

Lawnjockey
10-05-2009, 03:38 PM
Well thank you, that is the first time I have ever tried the chat thing. I like your taste in Books, I have an early edition of Taylor's "African Rifles and Cartridges" that I have gone back to over and over through the years. It is on the shelf next to my prized autographed "Sixguns by Keith". I am also a big Askins fan, both father and son. I have laughed my way through "Unrepentant Sinner" many times.

For a period of years I collected books on African hunting, especially the older ones. Perhaps it has to do with my ancestry, I don't know. I always thought those trackers were having way to good of a time, all that hunting, singing every night and getting paid for it. Before dreaming of being a tracker I considered being a "best boy" in the movie industry. I imagined seeing my name in the film credits and being able to hang around stars. Then, as I learned more about the perverts in Hollywood, I began to wonder just what a best boy does. Have you ever wondered about that? Well my mind didn't have to drift too far to realize that hanky panky aint for me, no way.

Don't get me wrong, life has been good to me and not a day goes by that I don't thank my creator for making me just as I am. The only time I have any regrets is when some dumb dog mistakes me for a hydrant. Enough about me, I am starting to sound like the first family with all this "I" stuff.

Jocko

Nate1778
10-05-2009, 04:15 PM
Range lead is going to be pretty soft as you know. Tin might help but you are going to want to add some Linotype to get the harder bullet. You can get it on ebay and I would think a little will go a long way when it comes to pistol harness.

My dad was pretty "mad", but it gave him the opportunity to get a couple pink flamingos he had always wanted. I am afraid they to fell to 12ga bird shot. I am not proud of it, but it was contract work. I am not going to name names, but mom could not stand those things. Man I was allowed to play with guns way to early.......

runfiverun
10-05-2009, 04:25 PM
great now there's three of us goof balls here.
ray, you seeing this??
since you are worried about making your batches in very consistent alloys i would just make them in one lb lots and carve each boolit from the ingot. this will insure you don't waste ammo at the range.

Lawnjockey
10-05-2009, 04:26 PM
Me too. Now days the cops would haul the parents away for letting the kids do what we did as kids.

Jocko

Ricochet
10-05-2009, 04:28 PM
Range lead'll heat treat just fine. Even .22 bullets and jacketed bullet cores have enough antimony to harden quite a bit.

Lawnjockey
10-05-2009, 04:41 PM
Nate, check this one out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lawn-Jockey-Black-Boy-Concrete-Yard-Garden-Statue_W0QQitemZ150376440858QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_ DefaultDomain_0?hash=item230322641a&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_500wt_956

The price is right but it is a little rough. I think I may be related to that guy but he is up in NY.

Now this one just aint right, talk about revisionist history:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Old-Lawn-Jockey-Football-referee-figure-2-feet-tall_W0QQitemZ180416114544QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVinta ge_Sports_Memorabilia?hash=item2a01a36f70&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_500wt_956

This one reminds me of my mis-spent youth:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1955-vintage-mold-Black-Watermelon-boy-2-lawn-jockey_W0QQitemZ160367346776QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_ DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2556a38458&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_674wt_1167

Too bad it is a copy. I guess I should look at the bright sider, at least someone is making money casting. Maybe my son's idea of making innagural lawn monuments was so bad after all.

Jocko

Nate1778
10-05-2009, 05:25 PM
Nice,

Question, how do the lawn jockey's view the "lawn gnome", trendsetting visionary, or copycat hack?

Lawnjockey
10-05-2009, 05:45 PM
We never cared for those furrin imports but we do enjoy Oktoberfst together. Did you ever see that French film "Analee" or something like that. The star tried to drive her father crazy by stealing his gnome and having a flight attendant take it around the world. At each place she would take a picture of it and mail it to Analee's dad. It was like the movie "Gas Light". The poor old guy getting pictures of his beloved gnome from all over the world. If I recall correctly the gnome finally came home to his spot in the garden as if nothing ever happened.

Its 5:00 somewhere so I think I'll hae a hair of the dog.

Jocko

KYCaster
10-05-2009, 06:07 PM
Before dreaming of being a tracker I considered being a "best boy" in the movie industry. I imagined seeing my name in the film credits and being able to hang around stars. Then, as I learned more about the perverts in Hollywood, I began to wonder just what a best boy does. Have you ever wondered about that? Well my mind didn't have to drift too far to realize that hanky panky aint for me, no way.Jocko

Maybe "grip" would suit your talents better than best boy.

Just a thought
Jerry

JSnover
10-05-2009, 06:32 PM
Lawn jockeys killed my brother. He owed them a lot of money. I even tried to warn him after they broke his thumbs, "Dude, they live in YOUR front yard! How long did you think you could avoid those guys??"

Lawnjockey
10-05-2009, 06:34 PM
The only thing this boy would consider gripping in Hollywood is Beounce's behind.

Jocko

Lawnjockey
10-05-2009, 06:38 PM
We had nothing to do with your brother's misfortune. That is just a vicious rumor started by acorn workers after they found out lawn jockies are mostly Republican like MLK.

Jocko

runfiverun
10-05-2009, 06:55 PM
i believe the film was emile

Lawnjockey
10-05-2009, 07:07 PM
I think you are right about the movie title. Since I knew it was French my fingers naturally typed ANAL-ee. It just seemed so French.

Jocko

TAWILDCATT
10-05-2009, 07:12 PM
I am a long time caster,and range lead is fine just the way it is.and in pistols it does not need heat treatment.up to 1800fts should be fine.right now I am working on 308/30-06 lead bullet loads in garands.I have them ejecting fine now to see how accurate.
I would get a lee 20lb pot.the pro 4-20. 45/70 takes a lot of lead and the 20 will handle it.I have the lee 457-450 plus lyman 500 gr and 350 gr.man you would think you pulled the plug on the sink the way the pot goes down.I have about 30 molds.from rem/colt CB to latest lee.
and I would not worry about the gov.things are changing but not the way the polititions think.more and more people are getting angry at the polls.
you dont need linotype,or tin.and dont forget Lee molds have to be run HOT.:coffee:

waksupi
10-05-2009, 07:29 PM
I now have a vision of Sammy Davis, Jr. standing in my front yard, ring in one hand, and doing a balancing act with a martini and a cigarette in the other.

Lawnjockey
10-05-2009, 07:53 PM
I am a big Sammy fan too. Sometimes, usually while shooting, I go a little cross eyed. At those moments I think of Sammy.

Jocko

runfiverun
10-05-2009, 08:09 PM
now how would a glass eyed dude go cross eyed?

Lawnjockey
10-05-2009, 08:11 PM
One of my favorite photos:

http://www.getback.com/gallery/odd-pairs-at-the-oval-office/2982079/3/

Back then we had real entertainers and our leaders didn't ***** foot around worrying about world opinion. They weren't the girlie men we have today, they got things done, they talked about the greatness of our country and rarely used the word "I", they never appologized for our country's greatness, they were proud of it.

Oh you got me going now, time for some more medicine.

Jocko

Lawnjockey
10-05-2009, 08:13 PM
The glass eye was stationary and the other moved thus at times it gave the appearance of them being crossed.

Now for my medicine.

Jocko

blackthorn
10-06-2009, 11:10 AM
The Gnome in question is now working for "travelocity" making sure people's reservations are done properly. I know this cause I saw him on TV!!!