PDA

View Full Version : First post...need advice

cptinjeff
10-05-2009, 09:23 AM
Hello All,

This is my first post to this great and very informative forum. Wow...what a wealth of information. I've lurked here for the year or so I've been casting boolits.

Over the past year I've cast and loaded many "big bore" revolver rounds and have had great success (thanks in part to the wealth of info here).

I've started shooting USPSA/IPSC and want to use my own cast. I have a older Glock 21 that I use for the sport (had to replace all the stock springs with new stock springs and the slide stop spring to get it to feed and fire 100% again...I haven't used this gun much in the last 6 years...been living the revolver life. Oh yes, and I put in a Lone Wolf replacement barrel so I don't have to face the stares for loading lead in a Glock.

At first I tried the Lyman 452-460 semi wad cutter. This boolit shoots great one at a time or in my revolvers but won't reliable feed in the glock. The driving band of the feeding boolit hits the ejecting case rim and ties up the gun at all the OAL's I've tried.

I now am loading some lee 452-230 tc. Accuracy is fine....feeding is great. All is good right? Not exactly. Maybe 1 in 50 rounds will not fire...due (I think) to the gun not going all the way into battery. When I eject the round that did not fire...it has a huge wad of lube on the case mouth area (I think preventing the feeding). This seems to clear the mess for next 50 or so rounds. When I clean the lube off the non-firing round it shoots. This wouldn't be a problem for plinking but for IPSC it has to work 100%

I'm using a Lyman 4500 and sizing to .450 , .452 would not feed. LBT soft lube. I wipe all the noses and case mouths after loading. Using a Dillon 550b, the lube tends to get into the seating die and crimping die and therefore on the nose/case mouth area....but I wipe this really well. What am I missing? Sorry for the long first post...I'm not usually a long winded poster:)

Thanks jb (long time shooter/reloader...short time caster)

fredj338
10-05-2009, 10:32 AM
Well, as you learned, the G21 does not like a LSWC for 100% reliability. With any semiauto, if you let lube build up on the bullet nose it will get wiped off into the chamber at the case mouth & eventually cause a sludge there which doen't help feeding. Also, are you taper crimping? A good taper crimp is a must for semiauto reliability IMO. I also think you are sizing too small. The LW barrels have pretty shallow chambers & you can have issues w/ LTC hitting rifling unless you seat very deep. Over crimping or reducing the case mouth dia. could result in a round seating too deeply & getting a misfire. What OAL are you using? I run that style bullet to 1.210"-1.220" in my short throated XD. Many LW bbl shooters have to send them back to LW to have the chambers opened up 0.01"+ or so for best results.

runfiverun
10-05-2009, 05:02 PM
the lube is blowing back into the chamber.

cptinjeff
10-06-2009, 10:09 AM
I forgot to measure OAL last night...but only the slightest bit of boolit "shoulder" is showing.

"the lube is blowing back into the chamber."

Is this due to sizing too small? When I made dummy rounds at .452 most rounds were very sticky trying to eject. At .450 dummy rounds eject like jacketed.

Also. I use the dillon dies which taper crimp in a seperate operation...."just enough to take the bell out plus a tiny tiny bit"

Thanks for the responses. I'm still not sure how to correct the problem.

runfiverun
10-06-2009, 11:32 AM
with some of the lubes like the blue which i am going to assume has the consistency of playdough.
excess lube is blowing back into the chamber before the case can seal it fully.
then like you say it gets scraped forward by an occasional case.
if you aren't having any leading issues any where in the bbl or throat,and you are having the occasional flyer at the target at about the time the stoppage occurs.
i'd change the lube.
with the temps you have there i'd go to something a bit harder,or maybe just cut the blue with b-wax.

cptinjeff
10-06-2009, 11:47 AM
I'm using bullseye....will a slower powder have any effect on this?

I'm getting some (just a little) leading....nothing out of hand....closer to the chamber.

I haven't noticed any fliers....but only had about 3 missfires so far. Happened to be shooting close range and fairly rapid fire.