PDA

View Full Version : New Caster/Reloader Needs a Hand

Turtle
10-05-2009, 02:40 AM
I am a visual learner and am becoming frustrated with the learning curve in reloading and casting bullets. I would like to seek a mentor, or at least someone I could come watch cast and reload. Maybe someone to tell me "DON'T DO THAT!" I am thinking this could save me a lot of time and money? I read the article by John Goins in the Cast Pics section and it confirmed my theory when he wrote "GET A MENTOR" about ten times in it. I live in Merced California. Are there any volunteers that could help me out? Any advice would be great.

qajaq59
10-05-2009, 06:58 AM
I'm way too far away to help. However, if you can't find anyone, try sending a letter off to the NRA. There aren't very many NRA certified reloading instructors around, but maybe you'll get lucky?

GRid.1569
10-05-2009, 07:02 AM
I'm way too far away (and inexperienced) but if you'll pay the flight ticket I'll do what I can....

Seriously though... I agree see is understanding... trying to visualise something when you've little or no perception of what is going on is difficult...

I found a number of U-tube videos helpful... I believe the guy to look out for is Iraqverteran8888... He's posted on here before... I'm sure somebody will correct this if I'm wrong...

Good Luck......

fredj338
10-05-2009, 10:39 AM
Well, I am at least in Kalif. but in SOKal, a bit too far. If you get down this way, be happy to run you through some stuff. I cast on a 10#, 20# & MagmaCaster. I reload on singles stage & Dillon 550B.

waksupi
10-05-2009, 11:14 AM
Try a search on Youtube. I bet you will find someone casting on there!

Turtle
10-05-2009, 02:43 PM
Thanks for the advice and offered help. When I wrote this, I was unsure if anyone would answer it. I am going to see if there is a NRA instructor around, that was something I never thought of!

I lost my mentor about thirteen years ago when he died from mesothelioma the asbestos cancer, at fifty five he was way too young, and now I feel a little cheated (he also had hunting access to thousands of acres of private land). For a long time (up until two years ago) I lost interest in hunting and shooting. Luckily for me, I am getting back into the shooting sports. I am hooked on reloading and casting, but feel myself growing frustrated with myself for not understanding what I have read when I apply it to the job at hand. Many of the youtube videos are very good and informative. But sometimes I just think that there is the possibility that I am dumb! For instance a few weeks ago when I was disassembling my 1911, I almost took my eye out! I began to think that there must be a better way! Last weekend I casted 600 wrinkly, ugly boolits, the same as the week before! I am applying what I have read, but they still look the same! But I am hardheaded and once I am determined to like something, by golly I am going to like it! Besides I could not afford to shoot if it were not for casting. I am ashamed to even show what I have been calling boolits though! But they do go bang! I guess that is all that matters.

I am not trying to replace the hard won lessons that are learned by trial and error, and expect someone else to explain every detail to me. I think that if I could just watch someone set up their equipment and pour a few good boolits I would cut a year off my learning!

If anyone in my area feels up to being a mentor to me, I would be very appreciative and I promise to pay it forward to my younger brother. Until then I guess its learning as usual! Is there such a word as dislearning?

I also appoligize for just being a taker from this great place. I wish that I had something constructive to contribute.

HORNET
10-05-2009, 03:18 PM
Hi, Turtle and welcome to the fun. While you're still looking for a local mentor, you might try checking out The Goatlips Casting Pages up in the Classics & Stickies forum. His casting video has had several good recommendations and might help you get moving in the right direction. Lots of other good info hidden up there on other topics well. Most usual problem is solved by getting the mold VERY clean and starting with the alloy hot. Get the mold preheated nice and hot to start and adjust depending on results. It's not rocket science, but there are a few tricks that make it easier.

jforwel
10-05-2009, 04:09 PM
It's good that you are looking for a mentor. I was quite nervous when I started. I read as much as I could but firing up the melting pot for the first time to melt WWs was scary. I had never handled metal like that before and especially not in my garage. But all went well and now I enjoy melting, cleaning, pouring, casting, etc.

If you don't find someone to help just take one step at a time on a small scale.

And welcome to castboolits.

runfiverun
10-05-2009, 04:31 PM
the reason for this forum is to help [wish i had it when i started [mumbles under breath]]
just be clear with your questions and provide as much info as possible.
there is very little that can't be resolved or at least argued about here.

Sprue
10-05-2009, 04:42 PM
Go to your local reloading supplier and ask around for any leads/names for someone in your area. If you find anyone, I'm sure that they would love to have you come by for a session or two.

Yep, it helps to have another person to confide in.

One other thing you might look up a local gun club and go that route.

Good Luck

Will
10-05-2009, 05:13 PM
The best way to learn is to do it. A few things are important. 1. Don't let any water get into your melt. 2. don't open the spur plate with a bare hand. 3. Don't pick up one of those pretty boolits as soon as it drops from the mold. 4. Don't use anything but a steel or iron pot. 5. wear safety glasses. 6. Don't get discouraged if thing don't work the first time, come back here and explain the problem. Someone will know the answer.

Wayne Smith
10-05-2009, 06:12 PM
7. Boolit molds do have handles! You just need to have them.

Lawnjockey
10-05-2009, 07:01 PM
Most gun clubs have sections like rifle, pistol, shotgun, etc. If you call the club you should be able to get a number for the rifle section leader. He would know who in the club is into casting. I have found that these guys are into the sport and happy to help a new guy out. If you get some help you should support the club by joining.

Jocko

Turtle
10-05-2009, 07:22 PM
Again, Thanks. I will try and post something up on the bulletin board at the local gun store. I am not sure how many folks cast in this area though because his shelves are devoid of any casting equipment. When I asked he said that casting equipment took forever to sell. I am sure that there is someone around though, thanks for the encouragement.

My aunt gave me several big boxs of reloading and casting stuff. My cousin is not "into" reloading and so they came my way thankfully. Some of the stuff is still waiting to be unpacked! I have most of the normal reloading stuff, and most everything for casting, molds and even handles :razz:. I have a fair amount of lead from him and my brother in law who has been saving some from the x-ray equipment he works on.

Sometimes it is hard to put yourself out there, but there are many people that are so eager to help that it becomes easier.

I have been to the cast bullet association site, and have noticed that they have matches in Modesto, about an hour from me. Maybe I should head there? Anyone shoot in Cast Bullet Association tournaments in Modesto?

10-05-2009, 08:01 PM
Turtle,

I'm too far away for mentoring, but you've reached the one site that has members who are more than willing to help. I've been casting for less than a year, and like you, flying solo. However, Cast Boolits members have been more than gracious and generous with their help and advise. Because of the help I've received, I look forward to doing what I can to help the new caster.

For starters, I would say to spend as much time as you can reading current and past posts. Never be afraid to ask questions, but make sure that you include all the pertinant information...it helps members to understand your situation and offer their best advise.

Please, post pictures of your boolits, there is nothing to be ashamed about. The pictures are the best way for members to assess what's not right and offer corrective advise.

I would think that, with all the wetlands, deer and boar hunting that goes on in that area, you won't have any difficulty finding some one-on-one help. Is there a local shooting range? Driving through Merced, on the way to Lake McClure, I have seen signs advertizing the occasional gun show -- that would be an excellent place to inquire, also. Sacramento is a possibility, too, but that may be a bit too distant.

Lastly, don't get frustrated with your casting results. As HORNET said, it isn't rocket science, but there are oh so many tricks. Some will work for you and others won't. And that's okay. But try to remember what didn't work, because the next time you experience a problem that just may be the answer.

So, sit back, relax, spend time here and at your casting bench, and enjoy.

Cherokee
10-05-2009, 09:04 PM
Turtle - Don't shy away if you can not find someone local. I started on my own 40 years ago and never had anyone to help me. Lately, I have enjoyed this forum, wish it was around when I started. Get the Lyman CB manual. Keep trying and ask us questions.

Turtle
10-06-2009, 12:03 AM
Adding some pitures sounds good. I will try as I get more advanced. Give me a few days and I will see what I can do! My uncle had a couple of the old Lyman guides, one of them the 2nd edition Lyman CB manual. I have just recently purchased the 3rd edition from Amazon. Every little bit helps.

primerless
10-06-2009, 11:47 PM
Turtle,

I know how you fill, I have just started casting myself. I did read the books and took a lot of imformation from this site. I fill that I have made some ground. I had alot of tips from this site and they have been heading me in the right direction. I have molded the same boolits over and over again untill they came out right.
I had a casting session one day that lasted all day, I moved the temp on the pot, changed the speed of casting, slowed the speed, along with alot of other changes to see for myself what the results would be, and believe me there will be many different results. Just play around with it and see what comes out. If things are not looking good throw them back in the pot and start over.

The one problem you will run into......when the good looking boolits start coming out you will find your self making to many boolits and not shooting them, it is just something about that flowing metal that keeps me going.
Some has recomended reading the books...... I recommend reading this site I have learned more here than any were else.

Mike G

nonferrous
10-06-2009, 11:56 PM
Use This Site, ask specific questions regarding specific problems one at a time. Send pictures, look at pictures and use you tube and the links on this Site.
I resemble that remark about casting more Boolits than I can probably shoot.

snaggdit
10-07-2009, 12:41 AM
The reason we can all offer advice is we have all made many of the mistakes ourselves. Give us specifics and add a pic or two and we can certainly get you heading in the right direction. Welcome to the hobby/addiction BTW! Sorry I am way to far away to help in person! Just keep at it, it will come together.

dualsport
10-07-2009, 01:33 AM
Turtle, check out the Modesto Rifle Club. You can just do a search or look them up in the match schedule of the Cast Bullet Association. There are a number of cast bullet shooters there, maybe contact the Match Director and tell them you want to learn how to make good bullets. I'll bet one of them will be happy to give you a hand. In the mean time, get that alloy hot, pre heat the mold(cleaned good of course) and start casting, about as fast as you can without being dangerous about it The main downside to casting hot is frosty looking bullets, which won't hurt a thing, way better than wrinkles. You'll figure it out, don't get discouraged. Check out Modesto Rifle Club, then let us know what you found out. EDIT; By the way, what can you tell us about the alloy you're using? Straight wheelweights? Pure lead, mystery metal? Any idea at all? This would be a good place to start. PM me your phone number if you want, I'm not that far away and may be able to give you a little help. I'm no authority but have some experience. I don't always log on here everyday so may be slow responding. Also check out "Graybeard Outdoors" web site. They have a large following of cast bullet shooters, might be one in your area.