PDA

View Full Version : .50 hawken and 250 real,

hithard
10-05-2009, 12:00 AM
After many tries with patch thickness and powder charges with a RB. Followed by more work with the 320 real. I found it time to order the 250 real mold. This was the ticket. The mold actually throws at 260 grns, and the first band takes a good bite on the rifling, while the other two really dig in deep. Seating these on 90grns of RS gave me close to one hole groups at 50yds. I didn't get a chance to play with any different loads, but for me it looks like the search is over. Well for this rifle anyway.

Thanks to all those that recommended said bullet. Now I just need to trade the 320real in 50 for an anything in .32

WildShot
10-05-2009, 10:27 AM
Just curious – what is the twist rate on your barrel? And are you casting the 250 REAL’s from pure lead ?

hithard
10-06-2009, 02:55 AM
that's a 1:48, the lead is stick on WW, that I kept very fluxed while pouring. One thing I did notice is that the 320real first band doesnst touch the rifling and the second one just barely does. While the other dig in, but not nearly as much as the 250, and yes this is using the same lead.

WildShot
10-07-2009, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the info. I had a 250 mould delivered last night but did not have time to cast. Hope to make a few dozen tonight and test them over the weekend.

hithard
10-10-2009, 01:45 AM
Have you had a chance to shoot any of those 250 reals. Let's hear the results. With what and how are you lubing those, powder and charge. I hope to do a little more out to 100yds. Will keep you posted.

Greg.

WildShot
10-12-2009, 09:42 AM
Had a short casting session last Thur. Ended with 42 best quality bullets. The lead that I was using is nearly pure scrap. Very soft compared to pure but cast up a little light. The bullets that I kept were weighing around 253 gr. Tumble lubed them with Lee liquid alox and dried them overnight. Test fired in two different T/C rifles Saturday after doing some farm chores. (that’s my excuse for poor shooting, hard to hold steady after running a chainsaw) Both guns are 1:48 twist. 24” barrel on a caplock, 26” on the flintlock. Most shooting was done with the caplock, 80 gr. charge of pyrodex RS gave excellent groups off sandbags at 25 yards. Most were single holes for three shots. The flintlock gave a little better groupings with 80 gr. Goex FFg. I intended to, but neglected to try using a felt wad under the bullet to see if it improves accuracy. Didn’t think about it because the groups looked very good without them. I will shoot some more at longer ranges and experiment with other lubes and wads when I can. Next shooting session will include setting up the chrony. Also will test terminal performance on deer this weekend... if the target cooperates.