PDA

View Full Version : casting for 45 acp... WW too hard?

Salmon-boy
10-04-2009, 08:20 PM
I'm just about to my last few hundred rounds of .45 ACP and need to cast some more..

Was thinking that a 50/50 WW to Pure Lead mix would be hard enough for this and would save me some WW alloy..

I'll be using the 230gr RN Gvmt Group buy mould. I've cast some from pure WW and they sure do look the bizness.

Anyone have any thoughts?

tommygirlMT
10-04-2009, 08:42 PM
I'd hate to see you use up good pure lead or even pur-ish lead for 45-ACP to thin down your WW alloy. Hate to see you use good hard sorted WW alloy either. See if you can't get yourself some "range scrap" alloy and mix it at least half and half with WW (doesn't need to be good hard sorted stuff either). I'd probably go more then half on "range scrap" and less then half on the WW. Range scrap is usually a soft but far from pure alloy --- perfect for mixing with WW for low to medium power handgun rounds. Save good pure or purish alloy for muzzle loader and making BPCR alloy with the addition of tin.

runfiverun
10-04-2009, 08:46 PM
i use about 25% strap ons for my 45 acp.
or 25% range and do a bhn test and add strap on weights to get the last 25% of softness
about 9 bhn

fredj338
10-05-2009, 01:13 AM
I've shot straight ww, linotype (old days when it was almost free) & 50/50 lead/ww & they all shoot fine sized & lubed right.

Shiloh
10-05-2009, 05:04 AM
Been shooting range scrap cut to 2 parts range lead, 1 part WW. Water dropped boolits shoot fine. Accurate and no leading. This is for .45 ACP, .38/357 and others. Saving the WW for rifle boolits.

Shiloh

Salmon-boy
10-05-2009, 12:00 PM
Ok, so anyone in NE want to trade range scrap for soft lead?

Ain't it funny how you get something, and it's not what everyone thinks it should be?? Since I don't have any ML'ers, and don't know anyone who has one, guess I'm using it for .45s!