PDA

View Full Version : How to measure a 5 groove Enfield bbl?

rayg
10-04-2009, 06:56 AM
Because the lands and grooves are not directly opposite each other on a slugged bullet. Any suggestions on how to get an accurate measurement of them? Ray

Edubya
10-04-2009, 08:49 AM
rayg, there have been quiet a few post on here about measuring a slug of a five groove barrel. I assume that is what you want to do.
The trick that I liked the best is; wrap a thin shim stock around the slug (tightly but not tight as to compress the stock into the groove). Measure the shim stock and slug; subtract double the thickness of the shim and you will have the measurement of the slug.
Good luck,
EW

calaloo
10-04-2009, 08:51 AM
Take a feeler gauge (thickness gauge) that is thin enough to wrap around the slug, Mic the wrapped slug and subtract the thickness of the gauge times two. Piece of cake.

Rocky Raab
10-04-2009, 09:31 AM
Don't get all confusticated. This isn't a life or death measurement. Measure the slug and add the depth of a groove, about .004" and that's close enough. If in doubt, use cast bullets a wee bit bigger.

There, now wasn't that better?

rayg
10-04-2009, 09:49 AM
Thanks fellows, I probably should have checked past posts, However, it's Sunday and was I was just too lazy, LOL :Fire:
Actually I didn't think about doing the search, I know I should have. But anyway think about it, it gave you guys something constructive to do also. :-D Ray

10-04-2009, 10:29 AM
rayg,

Roll the slug in your caliper with just the slightest bit of pressure on the jaws, so as to not distort the slug. You'll feel when the two high spots come into contact with the jaws.

rayg
10-04-2009, 01:25 PM
Thanks 462, that's the method I had already done but was just wondering if there was another way. I just did the suggestion mentioned above with a .015 shim and it came out the same. Same with Rockies method. The main reason I asked is that my first measurment with the calipers and also a mike, came out to .312 whereas my other 4 & 2 groove Enfields mike out min .314-.316. So because it was only .312, I thought maybe I was doing something wrong, Ray

warf73
10-05-2009, 05:47 AM
Could always use a tri anvil mic. It’s what I use on 3 flute drill bits, end mills and 5 groove boolits :)

The Double D
10-05-2009, 12:37 PM
The tri anvil mike has to have 72 degree anvils before it is accurate.