PDA

View Full Version : Tip off/on scope bases?

2ndAmendmentNut
10-04-2009, 12:15 AM
I had no idea where to put this so moderators feel free to move.

Are the tip on scope rings and bases any good? I have never used one but I like the thought of being able to pull off the scope to use iron sights should the hunting be within 100yards. Ideally I would like to then be able to slide the scope back on without having to make a trip to the range to make sure the zero has not moved. Does a product like this exist or does the zero move a little bit? If the zero does move, how much movement is to be expected?
Obviously I would only put the scope on if I thought I might make a shot over 150yards, but if the zero had moved significantly there would be no first shot confidence. I have used a few styles of rings which allow you to see the irons under the scope, but I have never really been all that thrilled about them, because the are either to high for the scope or to low for the irons.

JRW
10-04-2009, 12:21 AM
Warne makes a QD type ring that I have had good luck with.

shotman
10-04-2009, 01:06 AM
Weaver makes or did the pivot set . I have 2 sets and they stay dead on I have never had to re zero on a 30-06. I have several bases . What are you useing them on?

Bret4207
10-04-2009, 07:34 AM
"Tip off" scope mounts usually refer to the old 1/2" and 7/8" grooved receiver type scope mounts.

Pivoting scope mounts, like Shotman speaks of, actually pivot to the left and the scope hangs there till you need it.

Quick Detach mounts like Warne and others make, also called "QD" as JRW said, allow you remove the scope entirely and reattach it without losing zero.

See thru mounts leave the scope in place, but have an area under the scope for you to see the irons.

FWIW- This is where the variable power scope wins over. With a 1-5 or 2-7 scope you're good from a few feet out to the practical limits of hunting accuracy. I don't find any handicap using a Weaver 1.3x scope, which is essentially NO magnification. But then, I don't go for the "Hail Mary" type shots either.

winelover
10-04-2009, 10:04 AM
I've had good results with QD rings from Warne or Leupold on Weaver and or Picatinny style bases. Never lost a zero. Almost all my guns have multiple sighting options depending on type of hunting I'm engaged in. The guns also store better in the safe with the scopes removed. Added bonus is if the firearm has to go in for service the scope doesn't or vice versa. I particularly like the Kimber Double Lever scope mounts on my Redhawk. The base is low enough so as not to interfere with the gold bead/ V notch rear. Holstering is a non issue too. :Fire:

Winelover :drinks:

Rocky Raab
10-04-2009, 10:43 AM
About a thousand years ago, when scopes weren't very good, this was a good idea. More of a necessity, in fact. Today, not so much.

As mentioned, I'd get a decent 1.5-5X scope and leave it in place. Always set it to the lowest power for those quick jump-up shots. My coyote calling rifle is set up that way, and I feel no handicap whatever with the low magnification - especially when one peeks out from a sagebush just past my boots.

Wayne Smith
10-04-2009, 03:41 PM
I've got Leupold SS quick release bases on my Encore barrels, 50 S&W and 45-70. The scope is mounted on the 45-70, when I take it off and put it on the 50 it is on the paper @ 100 yds. I think that's pretty good, two different barrels and calibers.

DLCTEX
10-04-2009, 05:46 PM
I have used the Leupold pivot system and had no problem getting it to return to zero the few times I detached the scope. I don't find the feature as useful as I had thought it would be as I never encounterd a real need to remove and replace the scope except when a scope was damaged, which made returning o zero a moo poin.

qajaq59
10-04-2009, 05:57 PM
I have the Weaver tip-over mount on my Savage 99 and it goes right back to zero. But it's an absolute bear to unclip unless you loosen the clips. I've done it a few time just to see if it would return. However, as someone said, with the newer scopes you wouldn't need it unless you dropped the rifle and smashed your scope.

rbuck351
10-04-2009, 06:14 PM
I bought a mod 70 win built in 1951 chambered in 300 H&H. It came with an old pachmeyer hinge off the side scope base drilled and taped on the side. At a gun show I found the top part (rings sort of) and mounted it and the only scope I had that would fit the funny ring set up ( tasco 4x). It can be removed and put back on and retains zero. The thing I don't like about it is the retaining clip that holds it in place for firing is lame. You have to make sure it is locked in place before firing and then again for the next shot as recoil knocks it to the side .

Uncle R.
10-04-2009, 10:58 PM
I agree that with quality modern scopes a good variable "permanently" mounted is all you need. EXCEPT for those days when it's raining / snowing / sleeting / freezing all more-or-less at the same time. Not that I worry about internal fogging - but keeping the outside of the lenses clean enough to see through can be a losing battle. On those admittedly very rare days - I prefer irons. I don't usually remove a scope from one of my "good" rifles - I just carry a different rifle with good iron sights on those sloppy days.
Uncle R.