PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 37583 Gallery Loads for 375JDJ?

JohnH
04-21-2006, 11:37 PM
Ran across an interesting mold today that followed me home, a Lyman 37583. Turns out to be a .375 boolits that weighs in a 145 grains. Came in a black and white box with a pamphet on casting including that was printed 3-1-75. I figure it was meant as a gallery load boolit for the 38-55. Don't have one of those now, traded mine off and worked up to a 375 JDJ Encore. I have no idea how this bullet might perform from my rifle, it is a plain base with a single lube groove and a crimp groove, but I'm gonna try a few loads using AA#2, Unique and some milsurp 107 from J. Bartlett.

I found the mold at Toms Gun Shop in Rome Ga. Turns out he has some 15-20 molds of 1970's vintage, all new in the box. The ink has faded on the side panel, so it is difficult to read the numbers, but most of the molds appear to be 45's and 50's. I know these have been on his shelf for at least two years. I told him about the site here and gave him the URL, I hope he posts about these molds because I'm sure someone here could use or would want some of these. I recall looking these over a couple years back, and there being a few adjustable's in the group, but I couldn't say now what they were or if they are still there. I didn't get a card, so I don't have a phone number, but I'm sure "information" could give you one. His store hours are 8-5 Monday-Friday and 9-3 on Saturday EST.

R.M.
04-22-2006, 12:23 AM
Man, would I be interested to see if he has a TL.314-85 gr full wadcutter mold. I have one that has seen a lot of use, and would love to get another one seeing as Lee discontinued it. I hope he does post about these molds. I'm sure somebody someplace has one of these molds sitting on their shelf colecting dust. It's just a matter of getting lucky.

R.M.

onceabull
04-22-2006, 12:26 AM
JohnH. I think you will enjoy that #, mine has been keeping me smiling for years,used essentially as an"improvement" for RB loads in 38/55,375W,375Hawk-Scovill,and 375 H&H. I'd suspect one could find some 38/55's where "as cast" might be smaller than ideal for the bore. :) Onceabull

32-20
11-28-2020, 10:15 PM
An old post, but this bullet was listed in Lyman Cap and ball data for use in the .36 caliber guns. Always wanted to try it, but never found a mold.

beagle
11-28-2020, 10:27 PM
Got one that I used in my .38/55 with good results for light loads. For one of the BP pistols of old. .38/55's gone but still have the mould./beagle