PDA

View Full Version : Crooked tang sight???

j23
10-02-2009, 06:22 PM
I purchased a Marbles (improved) tang sight for my Rossi 1892. Mounted it today. Looks good, everything including screws fit fine. Put the 'tower' on the base (as they are separate for the improved version...) and the tower is leaning to the left like the tower of Piza. Not dramatically, but when you look through the aperture you can tell... you are looking ACROSS, like from the rear left corner of the receiver to the front sight. to line it up, i have to move the windage all the way to the right. I havent shot it yet to check zero, but it just isnt right whether it shoots straight or not.

Do I shim it??? ...and if so how? Does ANYONE practice QC anymore for goodness sake? It is either the sight base is faulty, or my tang is crooked... which is more likely???

hyoder
10-02-2009, 06:31 PM
Call Marble Arms. I have 2 of the improved versions and 2 of the originals and they all work great. Surely they will make it right.

shooter93
10-02-2009, 07:13 PM
It could also be the holes are off centered on the tang. I've seen that more than once and it only takes a minute amount to make them lean.

montana_charlie
10-02-2009, 08:52 PM
Looks good, everything including screws fit fine. Put the 'tower' on the base (as they are separate for the improved version...) and the tower is leaning to the left like the tower of Piza.
Is that sight built in such a way that the base could be reversed, and the tower placed on it with no problem?

If that was done, and the sight still leaned left, it would prove that the inconsistency is in the tang of the rifle.

It's not uncommon to shim one side of a tang sight base. You can use paper, thin plastic, or metal.
Pop can aluminum is about 5 thousandths thick...

CM

qajaq59
10-03-2009, 06:40 AM
Does ANYONE practice QC anymore for goodness sake? In my experience of late I'd have to say NO!!!

cajun shooter
10-03-2009, 06:53 AM
If it's a problem with the sight then Marbles will make it good. I have four of the tang sights and while at a CAS shoot this past Sat. a fellow shooter said your sight is loose. I noticed that the windage knob was gone off the sight. It is held on with a set screw to the shaft. I called Marbles and they sent one to me at no charge.

S.R.Custom
10-03-2009, 10:44 AM
This is a problem that apparently isn't that unusual...

I have a stash of short-base tang sites (for Winchesters with tang safeties) that I've been selling, and I just had one returned for just this problem. Seems the radius on the sight base is cut off-center, and the result is a sight base that's thicker in relation to the mounting holes on one side. My particular specimen is off-kilter by .016"...

I wasn't aware of this until the buyer pointed it out to me. But if you look at the bottom pic, you can see how the channel radius is off center... http://tinyurl.com/y9smvps

The preferred way of dealing with this is not shimming, but removing material from the high side. (Pay attention, also, to how the screw fits the bottom of the screw hole, as the hole may also need to be trued on its bottom as fitment is made.)