PDA

View Full Version : Star + Lyman Heater, will Star Bullet feed fit?

AJ Peacock
10-02-2009, 06:16 PM
I've read the manuals and tons of stuff on the forum and need to answer this question.

I have a Star sizer and want to get a heater for it. I want to use the Lyman heater and use the same PID controller I'll build for my pot to control it (I'll build the controller with the savings from the heater :grin: ).

Anyway, at some point in the future I will want to get a bullet feed and want to make sure that it can be made to fit by using the Lyman heater. I know the feeder will fit with the Star Heater and can be used without a heater (by drilling a hole in the mounting surface). My question is, can that hole be drilled in the Lyman (or a spacer be made) so the Star feeder can be used with the Lyman heater.

Thanks a million for any help.

AJ

plumber
10-02-2009, 11:01 PM
Unless you have the Lyman heater allready, you will be about the same money. I'd spend the extra on the Star heater, your boolit feeder will bolt right up to it. As well, its a much better heater. It heats up real quick, and maintains temp within 3 degrees.

AJ Peacock
10-02-2009, 11:20 PM
Unless you have the Lyman heater allready, you will be about the same money. I'd spend the extra on the Star heater, your boolit feeder will bolt right up to it. As well, its a much better heater. It heats up real quick, and maintains temp within 3 degrees.

I understand that, however I need to know if the heater element from the lyman is in the way for mounting a bullet feeder. the threaded hole for the bullet feeder, where would it be on the Lyman? Would it be completely off of it, or over the element?

I'd hope it is a better heater for 2x the money.

thanks,
AJ

plumber
10-02-2009, 11:27 PM
The sizer takes up most of the Lyman heater with no provision to mount a boolit feeder, you would have to fabricate spacers. As far as the Star heater being a better unit, that is my opinion I just made. Tonight was the first time I used it, just upgraded from the Lyman.

AJ Peacock
10-02-2009, 11:35 PM
The sizer takes up most of the Lyman heater with no provision to mount a boolit feeder, you would have to fabricate spacers. As far as the Star heater being a better unit, that is my opinion I just made. Tonight was the first time I used it, just upgraded from the Lyman.

Does your Lyman still work?

AJ

plumber
10-02-2009, 11:38 PM
Does your Lyman still work?

AJ

It does, but it has a new owner.

AJ Peacock
10-02-2009, 11:44 PM
It does, but it has a new owner.

Bummer, I was gonna adopt it :smile:

AJ

angus6
10-03-2009, 05:40 AM
AJ since your a DIY guy why not get a piece of aluminum and a 175watt cartridge heater and make your own heater base ? I can give you the measurements of the star base and block that holds the bullet feeder up to the right height , when I get home this evening if you'd like.
cartridge heaters are cheap , pull up the drawings to the heater on Magma's web page for an idea

AJ Peacock
10-03-2009, 04:44 PM
AJ since your a DIY guy why not get a piece of aluminum and a 175watt cartridge heater and make your own heater base ? I can give you the measurements of the star base and block that holds the bullet feeder up to the right height , when I get home this evening if you'd like.
cartridge heaters are cheap , pull up the drawings to the heater on Magma's web page for an idea

I would, but for $40, I can use the Lyman heater and then just build a block later if/when I get a bullet feed. I just didn't want to get the Lyman heater and then have to change later.

Thanks again,
AJ