PDA

View Full Version : Cold weather casting?

750k2
10-02-2009, 08:14 AM
How cold will you still cast in?
Anything special you do?
I have to use my garage and it's unheated.
I have some moulds coming and it will be cold before I get
a chance to pour.
Lookin to head off any problems.
Thanks

jdgabbard
10-02-2009, 09:08 AM
I'll cast if it's snowing outside...

Most people think Oklahoma is pretty warm yeah round compared to other states. The truth is if you live north of I-40 you get pretty harsh weather during the cold months. And if any o you remember two years ago Oklahoma city and Tulsa (where I live) were declared a national disaster area due to the ice storm that knocked out all the electrical, and most utilities.

My biggest problems were with using the Lee molds. It's just hard to keep them up to temp while casting in cold weather. If you use any iron, and maybe brass, mold you should be able to maintain the heat easier. Which is what you want for getting good boolits.

OutHuntn84
10-02-2009, 09:12 AM
My biggest problems were with using the Lee molds. It's just hard to keep them up to temp while casting in cold weather. If you use any iron, and maybe brass, mold you should be able to maintain the heat easier. Which is what you want for getting good boolits.

Think maybe sitting your molds on an iron or a hot plate would keep them to temp. or atleast slow down there cooling?

Shiloh
10-02-2009, 09:40 AM
I cast around 16 degrees once to try out a new mold. I prefer it to be above 45 for comfort.

Benn casting for about three weeks now. Pretty much have next years supply cast up.

Shiloh

Shuz
10-02-2009, 09:42 AM
I cast year around out in my garage shop with plenty of ventilation. One caveat is to make sure all tools that come into contact with the melt are pre-heated before introducing them to the melt.
This means, stirring spoons, thermometers, etc. This is especially important as the weather gets colder.

fredj338
10-02-2009, 10:53 AM
I prefer really cold temps for casting. Here in Kommiefornia, about low 40s is the best it gets, that's when I want to be casting. If it snowed & got down to single digits, that seems just about perfect. Low air temps help keep the mold & me from over heating.

750k2
10-02-2009, 01:42 PM
really cold here is -20
I would settle for something that works good in the teens

BABore
10-02-2009, 02:44 PM
From zero to 90+. It don't matter. I use a turkey fryer burner, 40 lb pot, and ladel so I just snuggle a little closer to the pot when it gets real cold. Sometimes put a Lil Buddy propane heater behind me. Just like ice fishing.:smile:

runfiverun
10-02-2009, 03:29 PM
i work outside all year around and there ain't no way i am gonna cast in the cold weather.
it gets -30 or more here at times. [we have to go put the calves in the barn or they will freeze]
i built the garage in and added a wood stove.
i try to maintain even temp and humidity when casting from the summer to the winter..
a warmer would be how i done it if it got below 50.

Freischütz
10-02-2009, 04:24 PM
I've cast at about -20° F, maybe a little colder. I used an Lee melter, and, other than a little extra effort keeping the mould at temperature, there wasn't anything unusual about it.

The only real problem was keeping me warm. The feet got cold first. There's not much you can do for them. Felt boot liners slow the cold down, but the feet still get cold, Hands were easy to keep warm - just hold them over the pot. A hat took care of the ears and head.

Generally when your feet feel really cold you're ready to go inside anyway.

putteral
10-02-2009, 04:50 PM
That is why I retired to Florida!, No more wool hats, insulated boots, gloves, long underwear.
My only concern now is being careful casting in shorts and a tee shirt and enough sunblock!
:drinks:

HORNET
10-02-2009, 04:51 PM
I prefer it to be above freezing otherwise my little spray bottle of water for cooling off the mold keeps freezing up on me. It would also cause problems with water-dropping, I suppose.

kyle623
10-02-2009, 05:11 PM
biggest thing is going to be ventilation. never cast in a closed area.

jerrold
10-02-2009, 05:27 PM
My shooting "shack" is not insulated so I probably wouldn't cast with the temperature around 20 or below here at the foot of a mountain in VA. Other than that I prefer to cast in the cool and cold.

mold maker
10-02-2009, 05:53 PM
I've waited all Summer for these cooler temps to cast in. Early mornings now are 40+ and highs are mid 70s. I use a hot plate to preheat alloy and molds. Lee 6 cav. molds need a little heat during casting if I slow down, or take a break.
I haven't dug out the heavy cloths yet, so my leather apron covers my cargo shorts.
I find smelting and casting much less fun in the Summer. Now that I'm retired, and have total choice in the matter, it's no longer a chore.
Until really cold weather, I'm under a carport. If it turns raw I clean out the fireplace in the garage, and cast under the chimney.
Why on earth didn't I retire 5 years ago?????

Bret4207
10-02-2009, 06:38 PM
I have seen -50 and below. Not fun, not fun at all. I cast in the old milk room of my barn. A Kerosun heater makes it bearable. A piece of inexpensive carpet or, better, a hunk of foil faced rigid insulation to stand on will go a long way toward keeping you warm.

StarMetal
10-02-2009, 06:51 PM
I have seen -50 and below. Not fun, not fun at all. I cast in the old milk room of my barn. A Kerosun heater makes it bearable. A piece of inexpensive carpet or, better, a hunk of foil faced rigid insulation to stand on will go a long way toward keeping you warm.

Bret,

Was that temperature seen in NY?

Joe

ANeat
10-02-2009, 09:24 PM
I prefer it a little cooler, you can cast faster ;) Seriously, you gotta wear suitable clothes anyway so its much better to be a little cooler than hot. I do 90% of my casting thru the winter. As long as its not unbearable cold.

I think the person would be the limiting factor.

snaggdit
10-02-2009, 11:31 PM
biggest thing is going to be ventilation. never cast in a closed area.

I would say never "smelt" in a closed area (stinky and smoky). Casting with clean ingots at 650-800 degrees will NOT give off any lead fumes. Gotta get wayyyy hotter before lead begins to let off fumes. If you feel better casting with venting, by all means do it, but as for northern Wisconsin, bring on the heated garage. In the winter, I like to keep my garage at just above freezing for the dog's water to stay unfrozen. When casting, I raise it to around 50-55 and am very comfortable.

robertbank
10-02-2009, 11:33 PM
I cast year round. For the winter nothing beats the chemical foot warmers you can buy now. I just slip one in each boot and my feet remain warm during casting out in the unheated garage. I'll do it to -10F then I say where is a good book. Up here it really doesn't get all that cold so casting all year is no big deal.

Take Care

Bob

45-70 Chevroner
10-03-2009, 01:04 AM
There are too many health issues withe casting indoors unless you have the proper ventalation and I don't want to go to the expense or the trouble to get that done. I have tried casting in the cold here in northern Az. If there is the slitest breeze my pots will get hot enough to cast. The elevation here in Snowflake is 5630 ft. so it gets pretty cold, down into the teens at night. and high 50's during the day time. If I can catch a day with out any wind I can cast for a few hours. Casting in the cold is simple no fun. but each to his own.

leadman
10-03-2009, 01:54 AM
45-70 Chevroner, You can join me here in Phoenix for a smelting session, but you might want to wait until it gets over 100' again. Probably next week!
I'll cast all the way down to about 50', but I usually would have to get up early here to see that low a temp. Usually wait at least until 9 a.m. in the winter to head to the garage.

BOOM BOOM
10-03-2009, 02:05 AM
HI,
SPRING & SUMMER WERE MADE FOR SHOOTING, FALL FOR HUNTING.:bigsmyl2:
I almost do all my casting in Dec./Jan. during Christmas break.
I smelt ingots mostly in spring, fall, & winter. It is just more comfortable for me.

750k2
10-03-2009, 02:37 AM
I'm not worried about me - I like it in the 40's if I had to pic.
I was looking for more equipment choices[smilie=s:

qajaq59
10-03-2009, 06:53 AM
Casting in the cold is simple no fun. but each to his own. Yup, but casting here in Florida in the summer is no great treat either.

But we all do it. Hot, cold or otherwise. Who was it that was talking about addiction? lol

Bret4207
10-03-2009, 07:09 AM
Bret,

Was that temperature seen in NY?

Joe

Yup. It's even worse if it's -10 or so and we get a wind. Usually when it gets real cold it'll be still. We had a winter a few years back where it never got above 0 for over a month, that's daytime temps too. That gets old. But as I've said before, where else will I get 342 acres of heaven that a common man like me could afford? Nowhere on this earth.

Freischütz
10-03-2009, 12:39 PM
Hornet - just substitute a bucket of snow for that spray bottle and you're all set.

MT Gianni
10-03-2009, 01:37 PM
I'm a wimp and rarely cast below zero without some heat. I have had no problems keeping 2 and 4 cavity molds up to temp at those temperatures.

Bullshop
10-03-2009, 01:40 PM
I am just reading this one cuz I dont like to talk about stuff I have no experiance with.
BIC/BS

runfiverun
10-03-2009, 01:57 PM
i am gonna guess that dan [like me] built a place with some heat.
i'll go shoot when it's 10 below, but i ain't gonna stand in it and try to cast.

cabezaverde
10-03-2009, 04:23 PM
Yup. It's even worse if it's -10 or so and we get a wind. Usually when it gets real cold it'll be still. We had a winter a few years back where it never got above 0 for over a month, that's daytime temps too. That gets old. But as I've said before, where else will I get 342 acres of heaven that a common man like me could afford? Nowhere on this earth.

I duck hunt near where Brett lives, just a little farther west.

We hunt right near where the St. Lawrence River flows out of Lake Ontario. It can get absolutely brutal.

10 degrees with about a 25mph wind coming off the lake during the late season. Lets you know you're alive, eh Brett?

Bret4207
10-03-2009, 06:06 PM
Yeah, you know you're alive, but you wish you weren't! And stop minimizing things, there's never a 25 mph wind out there. 45-50 mph, that's more like it......

wallenba
10-03-2009, 09:24 PM
Been thinkin' on this one too. Michigans starting to get cold. I might try making a frame out of PVC pipe to surround a small section of the garage inside and fasten heavy drop cloth plastic sheet to it. My pot is vented outside, and maybe the pot and hot plate + 100watt bulb will keep it tolerable. Will have to move lead indoors overnight to warm up to avoid dewing up.

cabezaverde
10-03-2009, 10:14 PM
Yeah, you know you're alive, but you wish you weren't! And stop minimizing things, there's never a 25 mph wind out there. 45-50 mph, that's more like it......

I was going to say that, but didn't think anyone would believe it.

cabezaverde
10-03-2009, 10:16 PM
Been thinkin' on this one too. Michigans starting to get cold. I might try making a frame out of PVC pipe to surround a small section of the garage inside and fasten heavy drop cloth plastic sheet to it. My pot is vented outside, and maybe the pot and hot plate + 100watt bulb will keep it tolerable. Will have to move lead indoors overnight to warm up to avoid dewing up.

I cast in my basement. Last time I had my lead level checked it was just fine, and that was coming off a couple of heavy casting weeks.

runfiverun
10-03-2009, 10:23 PM
i'll trade that -10 and wind...
they didn't shut us down from working last year till -55, not sure about the wind just glad to not go out again.

qajaq59
10-04-2009, 07:20 AM
50 mph winds? Heck that's just a slight puff. Come on down here when one of our hurricanes rolls thru at 110 to 150 mph!! Then we'll talk winds. :kidding:

Bret4207
10-04-2009, 07:48 AM
I've done hurricanes, only where I was they called them typhoons. I never thought rain could be driven through cement block walls. It can! But, at east it's a WARM rain.

wallenba
10-04-2009, 09:13 PM
I cast in my basement. Last time I had my lead level checked it was just fine, and that was coming off a couple of heavy casting weeks.

No basements in my neighborhood, high water table or something. I may just cave in and buy some commercial cast from Oregon Trail to get through the winter. They make a lot that are real close to what I'm already casting. Better than getting sick and not getting out.

45-70 Chevroner
10-10-2009, 10:43 PM
Leadman: I lived in Phoenix for 29 years 19 of those years (west and north of Luke Air Force Base) I have cast in 100 + degrees many times. We have lived up here in the Mt. 10 years now. I will continue casting up hear. We get 100 degrees up here but it always cools off to the mid 70's at night. I think we had 2 or 3 100 degree days this summer.

GRid.1569
10-11-2009, 02:54 PM
... isn't cold the only kind of weather ????

or to quote a scottish comedian (Billy Connelly)...
"There's nothing wrong with the weather, you just brought the wrong coat...."

qajaq59
10-11-2009, 03:02 PM
"There's nothing wrong with the weather, you just brought the wrong coat...." Here we have no cold or snow. Oh, and by the way, what's a coat?

GRid.1569
10-11-2009, 03:24 PM
Here we have no cold or snow. Oh, and by the way, what's a coat?

Coats - that's what they sell at the Timberland Store (premium outlets) Orlando - tourists only...:p
(just lookin' dear... Damm it... who's gonna carry all these bags?... Need my baggage allowance for the Bass Pro Shop...)

No cold, no snow, .... Yeah that's the reason I come to Fla every chance I get... just love it at Naples ( & Lido Key, Sarasota)...

Now what I need is a Floridian ready to adopt a Scottish pistol-orphan...

Hablan Español (well it'll get me work at Wally World) - :-? don't really speak it just in case you reply.....

qajaq59
10-11-2009, 04:02 PM
That's ok GRid I don't speak it either. But then nor can I speak Scottish..........

GRid.1569
10-11-2009, 04:21 PM
That's ok GRid I don't speak it either. But then nor can I speak Scottish..........

That'll be Gaelic... and I don't either...

but our native dialect would leave you a gog...

"It's a braw bricht moonlicht nicht the nicht..." one for dromia to translate I think...

qajaq59
10-11-2009, 05:06 PM
I had a Ham Radio buddy that had the crest, kilt and pipes. I'd bet he could talk it. ha ha

sniper
10-18-2009, 11:03 AM
Grew up in Florida, but didn't cast then. Moved to California, where my brother in law and I cast in his garage in all sorts of weather; mostly rainy and cold, Then I moved to the mountains, and don't cast during the winter. My fingers and toes get too numb.

I cast outside on my patio, and between 50 and 85 are my chosen temperatures. I can cast enough in a couple of sessions to take care of the year's shooting, soo..why be greedy?

I run out, I know a guy that has his own casting business, and he will sell me all the boolits I want. ;-)

thehouseproduct
10-19-2009, 03:34 AM
I prefer it to be above freezing otherwise my little spray bottle of water for cooling off the mold keeps freezing up on me. It would also cause problems with water-dropping, I suppose.

I use a bucket of snow when a bucket of water freezes.....

Bret4207
10-20-2009, 07:55 AM
That'll be Gaelic... and I don't either...

but our native dialect would leave you a gog...

"It's a braw bricht moonlicht nicht the nicht..." one for dromia to translate I think...

"It's a nice bright moonlit night tonight." Must be morphic resonance. I'm of Scot descent too.

John Guedry
10-20-2009, 11:33 AM
It doesn't get cold enough down here to not cast.

sniper
11-18-2009, 05:45 PM
Hablan Español (well it'll get me work at Wally World) - :-? don't really speak it just in case you reply.....

Bonus Nachos , amigo.. ;) SI, Cisco!

big boar
11-18-2009, 06:13 PM
I'd rather cast in the cold than on a hot day but have to agree the feet go first. At about -20c my garage is unheated, don't mind the body but the feet go first. Never thought of those heat pads, have to give them a try, thanks for the advice.

Crash_Corrigan
11-18-2009, 08:49 PM
I cast a buncha "Lee Cruise Missiles" a couple of days ago. This was done on the kitchin table with a layer of 6 sheets of newspaper on top to protect the 45 years old Formica Table Top. Sprues dumped into a small carton and the keepers into a 5 gallon bucket of cold water. It was gettin a little cool outside {low 50's} and the light is better in the kitchin.

Normally I cast on the front porch, out of the sun and with good ventilation. A have another spot on the side of the trailer with a overhanging roof. This is my smelting spot but only with a Westerly breeze. I do not want to inhale that stink.

I retired to Vegas to escape the cold weather and snow and so far it has worked.
We had snow here twice but only an inch or two and it was gone in 12 hours.

OneShotNeeded
11-18-2009, 11:47 PM
I built myself my own loading shed and I cast in there. It's insulated and I have a space heater and window AC unit in there along with a microwave, refrig., TV, vcr, dvd, and a radio. AS for fumes I have a small window fan I turn on and it's just enough. It gets me out of the house and away from chores..:)