PDA

View Full Version : Ever love a dog? I did,and he died today

Cactus Farmer
10-01-2009, 05:39 PM
My toy poodle died today. 4 years old and the light of my life.....A joy to my soul.
He met me every day at the door and was always happy to see me........slept by my head every night and "knew" when I had a crappy day......Damn..........No sleep for me tonight. Buddy was my pal. Maybe the girl poodle he just mated with will make a Buddy junior......I'll pray for that. Someone in heaven just got a great dog.:sad:

AJ Peacock
10-01-2009, 06:16 PM
I am truly tearfully sorry for your loss. I've lost 2 great dogs and gaurantee that even though your next dog won't 'replace' Buddy, he will become just as close over time. I hope one of the pups is perfect for you.

AJ

wallenba
10-01-2009, 06:22 PM
I lost my dog, also named Buddy, Sept. 8th last year. He was nearly seventeen. Even though he had a good long life for a larger dog, he is still missed everyday. Your heartache will ease as mine did, and the good memories will replace it. I have parted with 6 dogs since I was eight years old, and they are all special.

onceabull
10-01-2009, 08:37 PM
Cactus farmer: god grant your wish for a replacement "Buddy" from the breeding..I still remember the winter night 30 years ago that I had to put away my standard poodle at age 14.. She could do it all, stop runaway saddle horses with teener daughters aboard,repel gypsy driveway pavers and siding/roofing installlers, keep politicians on the sidewalk,retrieve any bird from anywhere,& never work out of shotgun range..Can now at last grin about her only fault as a birder..any pheasant she found had to get airborne pronto, or he went in the bag without a shot fired..actually took a few right out of the air when she had a good running start..........Onceabull

Shiloh
10-01-2009, 10:13 PM
I feel for you.

One of the hardest things I have had to do was put down our 15 year old Schnauzer/Westy mix named Benson. I think of him all the time. We have 3 other small dogs.
When you think that your heart is broken, there is another dog.

WE never forget, but there is just to much joy in having dogs.

Shiloh

Heavy lead
10-01-2009, 10:16 PM
So sorry Cactus Farmer. Been there, it hurts like bloody hell. Hope you find another Buddy soon to ease the pain.

WILCO
10-02-2009, 07:58 AM
So sorry Cactus Farmer. Been there, it hurts like bloody hell.

Ditto for me.

HollandNut
10-02-2009, 08:30 AM
Been there a few times myself ..

Still miss 'em all ..

Top Dawg jus turned fourteen , getting deaf and poor eyes , hurts to think about it ..

We've said he'll be the last , but who knows ??

Boz330
10-02-2009, 12:30 PM
4 years old, that is young. It hurts bad enough when it is sort of expected but when they die that young it is tougher yet. Lost a Rot in 03 on her first birthday and sure know how you feel. My condolences and wishes that you get a good one from the litter.

Bob

oldhickory
10-02-2009, 12:52 PM
I'm real sorry for your loss, Cactus Farmer. The last one I lost was named, "Pal" and that's just what he was...My Pal. Got him from the shelter and we had many adventures together before he came down with cancer. I lay on the floor of the vet's office with him, holding his paw as she put him to sleep.

no34570
10-02-2009, 05:17 PM
Mate
I feel for you,really I do,I love dogs,they are the best mates you can get.
I lost my little Jack Russell 2 years ago and thought,I would not get another dog,a 16 months passed and I decided to look at a Border Collie,well the pup chose me,came and sat on my foot and when I walked away was following me,now he is mine,just over a year old and we are joined at the hip,so to speak.
He comes to work with me and while I'm at work,he is back at the camp waiting for me with a wag of his tail and a whine,he is by my side all the time,nearly lost him 6 months ago to a tick,I was so anxious for him to get better,he is right as rain now.

Some dogs are better than some humans!
My sympathy to ya mate.

HollandNut
10-02-2009, 05:55 PM
I hear ya mate :

The more people I meet , the more I love my dawg

BCB
10-02-2009, 06:19 PM
Grown men do cry...

Been there and done it...

My Lab was there during my cancer treatment—I had NO better friend…

I am uncertain about what happens after the end, but maybe this link will put it into focus…

http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/rainbowb.htm

Good-luck…BCB

45caster
10-02-2009, 11:11 PM
Iam so sorry for the loss of your beloved pet its one of the hardest things in live goodluck Craig

2ndAmendmentNut
10-02-2009, 11:22 PM
I am truly sorry to hear about your loss. I have owned a number of great dogs over the years and believe me you will never forget them, the pain will ease with time.

Ivantherussian03
10-03-2009, 12:30 AM
Sorry my friend...i understand.....I lost my dog 2 years ago, the third week in July. He was 15. I still think about, still miss him,and think about him daily; dogs are a joy to go home to. I was devastated......he has visited me in my dreams a few times.

odinohi
10-03-2009, 05:09 AM
My wife and I are coming up on 6 months since we lost our little 5 year old Yorkie Kiowa and our oldest doggie Precious. We lost them both within 6 days of each other. Then our other two Yorkies got an intestinal infection. I thought for sure we would lose the also. Our vet saved those two. It was the hardest time of our lives. Since then we got a little Yorkie/Maltese mix. She is a little monster that is keeping our other two dogs young. Anyhow, sorry for your loss. I know where you are right now. Remember the good times you had with your dog and dont wait to get another, it will help the hurt your feeling. Good luck, Tom

nvbirdman
10-03-2009, 12:25 PM
So sorry to hear of your loss.
I have an old stray dog that showed up at my door six years ago and refused to go away. She was about a year old and just skin and bones. She got fed, neutered, de-wormed and one baby tooth pulled (that's how I know she was about a year old).
There are no leash laws where I live, but I wouldn't need one anyway, because she never leaves my side. When the time comes for her to go I know a large part of me will go with her.

CajunRebel
10-03-2009, 06:22 PM
An Eulogy To A Dog
Faithful Friend
George Graham Vest, a lawyer from Sedalia, Missouri who later became a U.S. Senator, gave this eulogy in response to a lawsuit on behalf of "Old Drum", a foxhound who was viciously killed by a human neighbor. His owner brought suit for damages. When Mr. Vest concluded the case with this speech below, the courtroom was filled with tears. Old Drum's master won this law suit.

"The best friend man has in the world may turn against him and become his worst enemy. His son, or his daughter, that he has reared with loving care may prove ungrateful. Those who are nearest and dearest to us, those whom we trust with our happiness and good name may become traitors to their faith. The money a man has he may lose. It flies away from him, perhaps when he needs it most. A man's reputation may be sacrificed in a moment of ill-considered action. The people who are prone to fall on their knees when success is with us may be the first to throw the stone of malice when failure settles its cloud upon our head.
The one absolutely unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world, the one that never deserts him, the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous, is his dog. A man's dog stands by him in prosperity and poverty, in health and in sickness. He will sleep on the cold ground when the wintry winds blow and the snow drives fiercely, if only to be near his master's side. He will kiss the hand that has no food to offer, he will lick the wounds and sores that come in encounters with the roughness of the world. He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a prince.
When all other friends desert, he remains. When riches take wing, and reputation falls to pieces, he is as constant in his love as the sun in its journey through the heavens.
If fortune dries his master forth, an outcast in the world, friendless and homeless, the faithful dog asks no higher privilege that that of accompanying him against danger, to fight against his enemies. And when that last scene comes, and death takes his master in its embrace and his body is laid away in the cold ground, no matter if all other friends pursue their way, there, by the graveside will the noble dog be found, his head between his paws, his eyes sad, but open in alert watchfulness, faithful, and true, even in death."
Senator Vest, speaking to a jury about Old Drum, shot in 1869

Rainbow Bridge
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

:cry:

The Virginian
11-08-2009, 05:38 AM
I have lost 3 dogs all Brittany (Spaniels) and I hate to admit it, my first one hurt more than loosing a grandparent when I was a kid. I have 2 Brittanys now and one is 11 and the other is 4 1/2 years old. I know they won't last forever and I dread the day they leave. I have felt the same feelings you have had when loosing your best buddy and so young it hurts more. As time passes as the others have said, your feelings will turn to fond memories. I know when I die, they will all be waiting for me behind the pearly gates, nub tails wagg'n. :')

Ranch Dog
11-08-2009, 11:17 AM
As my name implies, I am a dog guy so I understand your loss. A good dog is hard to part with and I hope like heck that I meet up with mine in the end. I would like to sit back and just have a conversation with those fine friends as I miss them.

LIMPINGJ
11-08-2009, 06:36 PM
I have never had greater or more loyal friend than mine. I still remember all of then. When one has been called home another one seem to be sent to keep me company. I will be buried with them.

parkerhale1200
12-16-2023, 02:59 PM
A dog dead...i buried/burned 11 of those muds...some will hit you deeper, some you will forget in one month.
The truth...you will never forget them.
My deepest sympathy is with you, this is something a human will never get used to, not even after 11.
My oldest now is 12 years, one of 5 and one of 3, they will go.(avarage life for my breed is 8 to max 10 btw).
Good luck.

buckwheatpaul
12-17-2023, 07:46 AM
Cactus Farmer I am so sorry for your loss! Dogs are so important to us and they are with us virtually all the time. Mine refuse to allow us to have bad day! I'll keep my fingers crossed for a Buddy Jr for you sir!

Shawlerbrook
12-17-2023, 08:26 AM
So sorry and have loved a few. We now have a cute 11# white fuzz ball that just turned 10 and is just like a child. Dreading the inevitable but the years of love and joy are worth the pain at the end.

MrWolf
12-17-2023, 09:25 AM
Post is from 2009 folks. Sorry for any loss but not a recent event.

Bad Ass Wallace
12-17-2023, 06:58 PM
I truly feel your pain, condolenses!

Lost my old faithful last year after 17 years and said there wouldn't be another. That was until the daughter presented a little mini dashound! So help me I'm smitten again!

https://i.imgur.com/RJWKZUbh.jpg

WILCO
12-18-2023, 12:27 AM
Great looking pup B.A.W!

BLAHUT
12-18-2023, 12:48 AM
My toy poodle died today. 4 years old and the light of my life.....A joy to my soul.
He met me every day at the door and was always happy to see me........slept by my head every night and "knew" when I had a crappy day......Damn..........No sleep for me tonight. Buddy was my pal. Maybe the girl poodle he just mated with will make a Buddy junior......I'll pray for that. Someone in heaven just got a great dog.:sad:

I am truly sorry for your loss; A family member that was just called home; I have had many family members called home over the last 74 years; each a very special family member in there own right........ A new dog, a new family member; will not replace BUDDY, but will make his loss easier; BUDDY will never die; he lives in your heart and memory for ever... My condolences......

Sig556r
12-18-2023, 02:44 AM
Don’t wanna take anything from the OP but his post was more than 14 years ago & hopefully have moved on from a terrible loss.