PDA

View Full Version : Casting Equipment Info Needed

442man
10-01-2009, 02:38 PM
Hi All,
I'm new to casting and expect to load for both traditional black powder, pistol and rifle loads. I have looked at Lee, Lyman and RCBS casting equipment but somewhat confused.
Are there any advantages to one brand vs. the other?
Thanks in advance.
442Man

Leftoverdj
10-01-2009, 02:45 PM
Lee is cheap, but does the job. For pistol, their six cavity moulds are the way to go. RCBS makes really good, but more expensive moulds, and has excellent service. Lyman has really bad service.

442man
10-01-2009, 02:50 PM
Leftoverdj,
I have used Lee reloading presses, dies etc with good results. I am drawn to Lee because of the value, especially just starting. Is their sizer a good product? I want to cast various military rounds such as 8mm.
Thanks,
442Man

rob45
10-01-2009, 03:00 PM
If just starting out, I would go with Lee. Not that it is better, as that is always based on an opinion. But it is considerably more economical and allows you to go through the learning process with less initial investment. If you want to "upgrade" you can later sell any Lee equipment, and it holds resale value very well.

All equipment, regardless of manufacturer, has its pros and cons, and those often depend upon what YOU prefer. Why spend more if you don't even know (what you prefer) yet?

carpetman
10-01-2009, 03:12 PM
For my purposes I like the Lee bottom pour pot and it is much cheaper than RCBS for example. I've not used RCBS pot but those that do seem to really like them. The rest of the stuff I spend a few more dollars and get RCBS--their customer service is second to none. Lyman customer service was not so good in my experience.

fredj338
10-01-2009, 03:28 PM
Bottom pour pot, Lee 20# is hard to beat for the money. Onbe of the only things Lee makes I like. Molds, the cheaper Lee work, most of the time. I have never had any issues w/ RCBS, Lyman orSaeco molds, top quality but more expensive. If you want to cast a little to try it, the Lee modls are fine. if you want years of care free casting, go iron molds form one of the others IMO.

Gunslinger
10-01-2009, 03:46 PM
I use a Lee buttom-pour, works very well I think.

I also have a few RCBS molds that I find VERY good. And their lube-sizer is top-notch!

When I started out casting & reloading I all of the sudden found myself having bought a lot of used Lyman equipment. Now I wish I hadn't!

Lyman lube-sizer - operates strangely, must use more force not smooth like the RCBS, which really matters when you size a lot of boolits.

Lyman T-mag turette - Odd primer system and the tool head is wobbly (right term?)

Lyman powder die - What's up with having to knock it on the side with the little attached hammer-thingy before dispensing powder?? And I can't fasten it to the powder bushing properly, it turns every once in a while! BUT it does throw some very accurate charges!

Lyman balance beam scale - Used to be magnetized but that came to an end all of the sudden! and the cobber plate that is attached to the pointy end of the scale had to be glued with lock-tite to prevent the scale from getting stuck while trickling!

Lyman sizer dies - Ohh don't get me started! Horizontal lube holes results in lube getting all over your boolits even if you set the die as high as it goes! I know this can be fixed with #4 shot (i think) but I don't have those at hand! RCBS has vertical holes... works like a charm!

Hmmm... I guess I haven't had much luck with Lyman now that I think of it.

442man
10-01-2009, 04:25 PM
It looks as though the Lee is a good place to start. At least when I move up I'm definately staying away from Lyman.
Many thanks for the recommendations.
Regards,
442Man

fredj338
10-01-2009, 05:43 PM
It looks as though the Lee is a good place to start. At least when I move up I'm definately staying away from Lyman.
Many thanks for the recommendations.
Regards,
442Man
Why is that? The worst Lyman mold I have seen beats the best Lee.:groner:

Bret4207
10-01-2009, 07:16 PM
Lyman makes good stuff, it's just that they don;t care anymore about the casters.

fredj338
10-01-2009, 07:29 PM
Lyman makes good stuff, it's just that they don;t care anymore about the casters.
As far as customer service or new designs or what? Lee has decent customer service, but will only entertain new designs on a custom basis. I certainly wouldn't turn my nose up at a good Lyman mold for a mediocre Lee.:roll:

Leftoverdj
10-01-2009, 11:30 PM
Leftoverdj,
I have used Lee reloading presses, dies etc with good results. I am drawn to Lee because of the value, especially just starting. Is their sizer a good product? I want to cast various military rounds such as 8mm.
Thanks,
442Man

If you use the Lee sizer, you must lube some other way, usually with Liquid Alox. Like most things Lee, you may have to tinker a little. I've had to break sharp edges and polish the inside on a couple. The selection is not as wide as I would like, but it's easy to lap them out a few thous. Once you get the bugs out, they work really well.

I have a couple of lubrisizers and an assortment of Lee sizers. Both have their points, and sometimes I use one, sometimes the other. The Lee sizers will do fine to get you started, and may do for a lifetime, depending on your needs and how much time you have.

I'm not fond of the Lee double cavity moulds. I do use a few for stuff I don't shoot much of, but they are not really built to last. The six cavities are better in every way, and do last. Considering the price, I'm not going to complain if I do wear on out, but that does not seem likely. I've probably gotten 50,000 bullets out of my most used mould.

The Lee AutoPrime II deserves a plug. It's all steel, mounts on your press, and uses regular shellholders.

Echo
10-02-2009, 01:40 AM
Picking up an old Lyman mold on eBay is not a bad idea. The older ones seemed to be built with tighter quality control, or so it seems. And present-day customer service is iffy, from Lyman.

Bret4207
10-02-2009, 07:58 AM
As far as customer service or new designs or what? Lee has decent customer service, but will only entertain new designs on a custom basis. I certainly wouldn't turn my nose up at a good Lyman mold for a mediocre Lee.:roll:

I have no first hand experience with Lymans customer service, but the guys say it's horrid. What I mean by "they don't care about casters" is that they really don't see casting as an important part of their business. They have a few designs that sell, that are "good enough", that meet the need of "at least 1 mould in a caliber". Beyond that they don't care. Look at their mould chart- 1 8mm design, but 2 or 3 43 caliber BPCR designs! Nothing in 270 or 33, one in 35 rifle, no GC design for the 32-20, and most of their moulds run undersize. Th ey fired all their own tool and die makers years ago and threw out the cherries for the dozens of older designs they had. People like me have been writing them for years BEGGING them to bring back some of their older designs we need to no avail. The last time they responded to anything it was when gun writers put them on the spot for all those BPCR moulds they carry. There's no one putting them on the spot anymore.

In truth I'm sure Lyman makes more off sunglasses and ear plugs each year than all the casting stuff combined. They don't offer the old line stuff we'd all like to get and that's fine with them, they don't care.

Such is life.

carpetman
10-02-2009, 12:50 PM
Very true a Lyman steel mold beats an aluminum Lee. A new Lyman mold or sizer for that matter will cost about as much as an RCBS--for myself I'll spend the few extra and get the RCBS to get that great customer service.

runfiverun
10-02-2009, 03:37 PM
customer service goes a long ways now days.
i am very fond of the lyman 4 cav molds, but i am pretty choosy about the ones i get.
rcbs does a fine job with ALL their products and backs them up..

Edubya
10-02-2009, 10:36 PM
Not that it matters much, but SAECO moulds are durn near perfect w/o sizing. I have two Star sizers and a SAECO sizer that I would not do without. I cast for 9mm, .38, .44 and .45 and have two Dillon 550s. I figure that buying once is better than buying twice and fiddling with a Lee and wishing that I had something better. I do have one Lee bottom pot that I bought second hand for economical reasons, and it has problem with shutting off the lead. My primary casting pot is a RCBS.\Good luck,
EW

Caveape
10-02-2009, 10:59 PM
Have to give RCBS another star for their customer service. I highly recommend calling them up if the need arises.

What of Redding/Saeco's service?
What of Magma's service for the Star products?

2ndAmendmentNut
10-02-2009, 11:42 PM
Welcome to the forum!

When it comes to the melting pot you will absolutely get what you pay for.

But when it comes to the moulds always go with a Lee 6-cavity, unless they do not make a particular style that you are looking for. I have all sorts of moulds, but the ones I find myself using most are the Lee 6-cavitys because of their speed, and my Lyman ones simply because Lee does not yet make the various BP mould designs that Lyman has.

442man
10-04-2009, 09:50 PM
Many thanks for all the great suggestions and advice.
Best Regards,
442Man