PDA

View Full Version : Made some half-boolits

dolang1
09-30-2009, 07:45 PM
I was casting 38 wcs the other day and a few boolits didn't fill the mold all the way. As usual, I threw them back in the melt. Then I remembered reading on this forum about some 75 grain wcs that were selling on the group buy thread. I saved about 4 of these that weighed about 80 to 90 grains each and loaded 2 cases with 3 grains of reddot and 2 of my half-boolits.
At the range today, I asked my pardner if I could shoot one of his blank targets that he just hung. I showed him my two boolits and he said they were ugly even by my standards. You should have seen the look on his face when 2 perfect round holes appeared about an inch apart with one shot. The other shot tore the paper, but you could tell it was 2 boolits. He stopped making fun of my ugly boolits and wants me to make him some. I guess I'm going to get in line and order a mould on the next group buy. Later Don

XWrench3
10-01-2009, 06:36 AM
so you stacked 2 boolits in the same case? is that what i am reading?

dolang1
10-01-2009, 08:58 AM
Yes, I put the flat sides together. The other end had an ice cream cone curl to them that I knocked off. I seated the first one like a normal wadcutter, then I put the other one on top of it and seated it til about 1/4" was sticking out. My neighbor is going to shave my Lee mold with his mill. A work in progress. Later Don

1Shirt
10-01-2009, 01:29 PM
The 358101 Lyman weighs 75 as cast. 2 will go in a 38S case and 3 in 357 case.
Mold no longer made, but one will occaisionaly show on e-bay. Mine is an old sing banger which is a pain, but at 15-20 yds they will print clean on paper in the multi load configuration. First time I tried these was in Kansas many years ago. Just me and one other guy on the pistol range. I shot 5 rounds of 357 at (I think 25 yds) maybe closer, and had 13-14 holes in the large target. I was and still am at best a marginal handgunner, but that sure impressed the other guy (and me).
1Shirt!:coffeecom