PDA

View Full Version : My first try at casting

awaveritt
09-30-2009, 12:42 PM
With a lot of help from you guys on the forum, I cast my first 100 boolits this week - Lee TL356-124=2r double cavity. I've loaded up ten of them at 3.5 grains of bullseye to make sure they cycle the action of my CZ75 before I do any mass production. I did have to get the Lee double cavity very hot to produce good casts but once I got the hang of it, it seemed pretty straigtforward. I do need a little more experience to learn just the right time to cut the sprue and drop the boolits. Out of a little more than a hundred I wound up culling 7 that had the krinkled noses or poorly filled out bases. all in all, alot of fun and just thought I'd share. (see pic)

HORNET
09-30-2009, 12:58 PM
Congratulations, you've taken your first steps down a long and slippery slope. That's a good start and, like all the better vices, you'll get better with practice. Enjoy it...:drinks: [smilie=w:

snaggdit
09-30-2009, 01:03 PM
Yep, good job and your sprue cuts i can see look pretty good. Shoot those puppies!

putteral
09-30-2009, 01:13 PM
Congrats!! They look great and welcome to the addiction!
:castmine:

malpaismike
10-04-2009, 02:40 AM
I will be the no-one-is-so-bad-that-they-can't-serve-as-a-good-example. Rolling big-lube boolits for cas bp shooting; I serviced my 6-up mold, but left out a spring washer on the sprue plate. Result was about 75% yield when I went to the lube-sizer. I've been casting for about a year; there is no recompense for errors, beyond melting them and trying again. That's the good part--your worst mistake could maim you; you do your best to avoid that; remelting boolits is the least of your worries. I'm not a pro, just long in the tooth and experienced. You'll get there also. See ya round the campfire. mm

qajaq59
10-04-2009, 07:39 AM
Welcome to a good hobby. It's fun isn't it?

Shiloh
10-04-2009, 09:54 AM
Good boolits. If it means turning up the heat, so be it. My LEE six bangers have to be a little on the warm side to cast good boolits, but never the less, they cast good boolits.

Shiloh

phishfood
10-04-2009, 02:32 PM
I, too, made my first attempt at casting this week. I came to the same conclusion as you did with my Lee mold, keep it nice and toasty.

It took me a little longer than you to figure that out, though. I probably had a 70% rejection rate, so you did pretty good.

Happy casting.

ScottJ
10-04-2009, 04:12 PM
I'm new at it too and your bases look sort of like my first ones did out of my Lee 429-200-RF. They look ever so slightly rounded.

I got a little light leading off mine but I'm pushing them a bit.

I strive to get a sharp corner on the base and those don't lead when pushed hard. To do that I find I really have to have the mold hot. Heat the sprue plate by dipping the part you whack to open it in the melt for about 10 seconds and I bet you get nicer looking bases. I did.

rwt101
10-04-2009, 06:55 PM
I am just starting to cast and I am casting 9mm also and using bullseye. My casting has seemed to be pretty good. I am concerned about leading the barrel. What do I look for? I have never seen a leaded barrel.

Also your cast bullets look good.
Bob T

Matt_G
10-04-2009, 06:59 PM
I am concerned about leading the barrel. What do I look for? I have never seen a leaded barrel.

You'll see strips of lead along the rifling. Believe me, when you see it, you'll know what it is.
It's like seeing your first rattler. Even if you've never seen one, you know what it is instantly. :lol: